Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Height of bottom of chandelier

bbstx
10 years ago

The chandelier is getting hung in the new house today. Should the bottom be about 62 inches from the floor? The table is still in storage so I can't measure from the top of the table. My recollection is a chandelier ought to be 30" to 36" from the top of the table. Aren't most dining tables 30" to 31" high?

Ceilings are 12 feet, if that needs to be added into the equation.

Comments (14)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I bought my chandelier from Ace Iron and their site has a guide for the dimensions of hanging chandeliers. See link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hanging guide

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I typically put the bottom of the chandy at 60"....30" above a 30" high table.

• chispa
    10 years ago

bbstx, guidelines are great, but when you have a chandelier like the one you posted you really need to "eyeball" where it will look best. Will you place the bottom of the crystals or the main bulk of the chandelier at 30". I have a similar dangly style (but much larger 2-tier) and went a bit lower than the 30" for the bottom of the dangly bits after having the electricians hold it up. It just looked too high and top heavy otherwise.

Can you go to the house? Mock up a table with some boxes and cardboard and have someone (with a ladder) hold up the chandelier. If you can't go to the house make sure they leave extra chain and enough wire so that you could lower it later if needed.

One of my tables is 29-1/2" and the other 30-1/2".

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wel, it's done. They are both 65" from the floor. Electrician says he can adjust them when furniture is in place. The DR looks fine. The breakfast room light below looks a bit high.

• theclose
    10 years ago

Beautiful! My breakfast room chandy hangs at 35" above the table and it works for us. Some said it looks too high but our table is a 42" round and if the chandy were lower some tall people might hit their heads.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Both beautiful but I really love the breakfast room chandy and the ceiling. May I ask what your paint color is. Great looking new home.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, romy. The walls are Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter as mixed by Sherwin Williams. It was mixed from their formula for Revere Pewter, not from matching a sample. My builder prefers SW paints (greater profit margin?). I painted a sample of SW's version of RP and BM's version of RP. Yes, there is a difference, but it wasn't substantial.

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

I must say they are two beautiful chandeliers! Love them. Great choice and can't wait to see your new home reveal if you decide to show us which I hope you will.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, arapaho. I'm sure I'll be posting many "help me with...." photos as we try to whip this house into shape.

Interesting what you see in a photo that you never see IRL. I've been in the house a minimum of twice a day for the last 2 weeks, and I never noticed the wall switch over by the sconces. Wonder what it goes to? I think I'll replace it with one of the paintable switches.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paintable Wall Switch

• carolssis
    10 years ago

About the paintable wall switch, I painted my plastic ones first with primer, then paint. Worked fine.

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

Same here- I roughed mine up a little with a very fine sandpaper, primed, painted and even sprayed lightly with a clear gloss.

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

That switch near the scones could be for an outlet in the room. Or, on a stupid note, the bathroom fan--believe it or not.
    A number of years ago, when we moved into a brand new house, we noticed a switch in the dining room on the main floor, but couldn't find what it was for. We tried plugging lamps into all the receptacles, thinking maybe it controlled one or more of them. No dice. Didn't seem to control any lights either.
    About 3 months later, when my in-laws were visiting, I showed my FIL the switch and flicking it, asked if he had any idea what it might be for. About ten minutes later my MIL came into the kitchen asking why the bathroom fan on the second level kept going on and off. That's right, the switch in the dining room controlled the fan in the 2nd floor bathroom. Seems it was for "air circulation" in the house and to save you having to run up the stairs.
    In the house we currently live in we had a switch dead center of the hall wall 10' from the main bath (this is a 20 yr. old bungalow). Believe it or not, it too controlled the fan in the bathroom. We had an electrician remove that stupid switch.
    I had never heard of such a thing before the first time we encountered it, who would have thought this would have happened twice.

This post was edited by canuckplayer on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 23:14

• carsonheim
    10 years ago

bbstx -- I have that same dining room chandy, and I'm in TX too! :)

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, carsonheim, how far above the table is your chandy? Mine is currently swathed in plastic due to some ongoing drywall work. Btw, how do you clean yours?