Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
namarie

Anyone ever painted with Ben Moore metallic paint?

namarie
11 years ago

I have been thinking about painting my powder room ceiling with silver metallic paint.. I have read a couple of references online about it being difficult to use, streaky, etc. Has anyone done this themselves? Any advice? Should I just hire someone? My powder room is a tone on tone navy stripe with a wood floor. The white ceiling is too harsh and I really can't get out of my head how nice it would look with the light reflecting a bit off of the ceiling. Thanks!

Comments (18)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

The few times I have seen in done DIY it did not look so good. My painter has done metallic finishes and I believe he tries to spray them on, if at all possible. That would require masking everything off in your powder room.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Have you thought about a pale, rosy, peachy pink for the ceiling? It would warm up the room instead of cooling it.

(I know - I keep lobbying for pink ceilings...)

I'm a fan of Martin Senour's "Peach Tulle" - also Sherwin Williams's "A La Mode" and "Melon Tint." Just the barest hint of color, hardly noticeable, but very effective.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    11 years ago

Not familiar with B. Moore, but as an (amateur) artist who has worked with a lot of acrylics, I'm thinking that the metallic is similar to acrylics, i.e., it is a transparent paint, if you will. You would probably need to paint your ceiling gray first, then apply the metallic paint. And I would probably use a rag or sponge to purposely texture the paint. That way it won't be streaky.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Pink ceilings! I have not read this, what effect do you get, Bronwynsmom? I've been thinking of doing a very light gold in my kitchen to get a warmer light.

Is Ralph Lauren candlelight paint still around? I think he showed it used on the ceiling. I wouldn't want to put BM's metallic on it. It is an interesting modern finish but looks like a thick coat of marine varnish, very thick and shiny looking. I don't think it goes on smoothly without skill and would not want to be working overhead. I've seen some unevenness, puckering and craters in the finish. I'm not sure what it's made for but can't imagine putting it on my walls.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 12:57

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

I haven't painted with their metallic paint; just small bottles of acrylics on craft items, and furniture to give small highlights.

But I Googled paining ceilings with them, and found a GREAT video in the link below, which also stencils to give a tin ceiling look. WOW! He does it on a vertical sample board, so a ceiling would be much more difficult, but what an effect. He is using metallic glazes.

I also found this on using metallic paint - "Walls, furniture, even ceilings can be done in metallics, but there are a couple of things to know first.

It helps to put down a base color. If you want to go bronze, for example, Santos suggests painting the wall brown first. Most metallics are translucent, with metal suspended in a clear glaze. The base gives some color. And because the metal is suspended in the paint, it's crucial to keep it well stirred so the metal doesn't settle or separate. Have your paint dealer shake the can, and apply the paint within a day or two, while the metal is still distributed. If you have an older can sitting around, take it in for a re-shake. "It doesn't even have to be at the place you bought it," Santos says. "A lot of times, take it to a Home Depot or Lowe's, and they'll shake it for you. That's also a good opportunity to pick up supplies."

One supply worth having is a microfiber roller, which works well with metallics.

Proper application is also important. Carl Minchew, Benjamin Moore's director of product development, says a hammered metal finish is available in just a few brush strokes with the Molten Metallics line. "The aesthetic aspects are flexible �" just be sure to apply in one direction, applying the product fairly quickly since dry time can be a factor."

Here is a link that might be useful: Ceiling Color Can Transform A Room

• User
    11 years ago

Roll it on a gray base and use small bubblewrap to sorta "smoosh" it a bit and you can have a textured "hammered" finish.

But to get it smooth, you first of all have to have stellar drywall work underneath it. Take a 4' level and check for highs and lows first, and take care of them with mud and sanding. Once you have it smooth, then you can use a gray tinted primer and a gray topcoat. But the metallic topcoats (2) will need to be sprayed.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Have any of you actually seen this new product? It is unlike other metallics I have seen.

• autumncolor5
    11 years ago

I have used BM Metallic Glaze in bronze. I applied it to our walls using a feather duster. It was so easy.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

It looks like they have two. A metallic glaze and a molten metallic paint, which I believe is the one I saw. Kind of looks hammered. It's high gloss and thick looking. You can see down into it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Molten Metallic Paint

• namarie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone! Bronwynsmom, I think you may be onto something. The walls in the main part of our house (just outside the powder room) are Bleeker Beige which read a lot peachier in our house than typical but I have come to love it. We have a lot of blue in the house and not a lot of light so the warm peachy walls make it feel much more cozy. Putting a pale peachy pink on the ceiling might be perfect! I pulled a few samples yesterday and think it will look great against my antiqued silver light fixture. I will post once I get a chance to paint!

• dakota01
    11 years ago

Valspar has loose shimmer sprinkles that you add to your paint for that shimmery look. I bought a small pack for my painter to use in my powder room ceiling. Sales guy said to not add to the entire can , add as you go to the paint for a better look.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

My closet has a pink ceiling! Lovely with the dark charcoal gray cabinetry in there!!!

My dream is to somehow make my dining room ceiling a metallic silver...someday...or maybe not. I just think it would be so cool to see the reflection of the chandelier's lights.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Oh, good!

Sometimes, on the subject of colored ceilings, I feel as though I'm either beating a dead horse, or screaming into a high wind ... So I'm very happy that you're going to try it.
    And I'm dying to hear how you like it.

• holymann01
    6 years ago

I painted the ceiling of our dining room with a metallic gold glaze. I taped-off the area and prepped it with a coat of white primer and a heavy base coat of canary yellow. After this dried I rolled on 7- 10 coats of the gold glaze. using long continuous strokes with little overlap. (overlaps show). The reason for the numerous coats was to provide a depth of glaze coverage that hide the overlaps and made the ceiling look more "liquid." It came out wonderfully and did not look gaudy in the least.
    The walls were completed with a mauve/wine colored glaze over bubblegum pink base coat, using a brush stippling method. The trim and ceiling medallion were white and brought separation and balance to the room.

• Chana Kielski
    6 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! I'm about to my bathroom with bm metallic pearlescent white. How long did you wait between coats? The can says 24 hrs....

• holymann01
    6 years ago

Chana,
    I waited a couple hours between coats for the glaze. At average room temp with little humidity it dried and was paintable after 60 - 90 minutes. I just walked to another area I was working on and came back in about 90 minutes check the coat and if dry added another coat. It took two nights between other painting activities, but it was well worth it in my opinion.

• cornwell22
    6 years ago

HELP ! I had a bathroom painted with one coat of the BM "brushed gold" metallic glaze over the base coat of Lenox Tan and it is all streaky. What can be done to fix it? I like the color but it doesn't look good