Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caroleohio

Family Room in new house - knotty pine paneling help!

CaroleOH
13 years ago

We're getting ready to close on this house and I'm getting that tight feeling in my stomach! Too many things that need to be done and just trying to figure out what to do first! I took some pictures at the inspections, so these are the prior owners furnishings.

This is the Family Room/sun room area. It's an interesting room in that it has this huge fireplace on one end, this crazy knotty pine paneling everywhere else and a sun room that overlooks a beautiful view of the golf course.

This house is very oddly decorated. It from the exterior and other rooms has a tad of a french country feel - lots of moldings, but then you walk into this room that is like a hunting lodge! If you look into the back hallway area you can see the molding on the staircase. I'm thinking of painting the trim a nice off white to lighten things up - but that's another project.

Question #1 - What to do with the paneling? Leave it, take it down and paint, or paint over it? I'm just not really loving the orangey knotty pine look to be honest. I like the ceiling and beams left natural, and I think you need that to go with the fireplace, but the rest of the walls just feel like I'm stuck in the 80's. A lot of people think we should get rid of the opening to the second floor area (there's a loft area of the guest room up there). I'm thinking that to do that I'd really need to remove the paneling and drywall in that opening. But,if I drywall that all up, I'm going to have a huge wall that I will then be posting here "What to do with this wall?" :-) I'm more inclined to paint the paneling since I'm thinking the board texture will at least give some interest on the wall??

Question #2 - Window treatments? The windows are actually nice - they have leaded window panes in the arches - it's just the windows are lower than I'd like. I would like to do panels to give the room some more warmth, but do you think they'd look like they were hung too low? Hang them level with the top of the arch? I think I need something on the rest of the window - blinds, shades, shutters - something!

The built in is going to be replaced so that's gone.

Comments (76)

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I was coming back to tell you what a PITA painting the paneling will be - since you said you won't be moving in soon. The 50s/60s stuff usually has a finish on it. You cannot just paint over. The first time all three of our children went to summer camp, instead of having a romantic weekend alone with candlelight, we spent it painting 2 coats of Kilz (for primer) and 2 coats of the white.

It's not necessary to fill knot holes, if you don't mind them showing through.

Syllabus is right about the shadow lines too.

Love the Sarah foyer posted.

• chispa
    13 years ago

If I had just bought your house, my first call would have been to the painters to have the paneling painted. I could not live with it and it is the kind of project you want to do before you move in, if possible.

You have a very nice space and it will look fabulous once it is painted!!

Don't feel bad about ripping out the desk or built-ins, even if it is functional. As you said, life is moving along, why live with things that don't make you happy?

• CaroleOH
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This house was built in the 80's so not sure what that means about the finish, but I'm guessing it's poly. Hopefully not shellac!

To be totally honest, I'm not creative enough to have a period specific look I'm going after! I'm looking for something that is attractive, comfortable, welcoming - this is the main living area of our house. There is a DR/LR that I plan to make a little more "pretty", but this room I want to be sortof a "wow" because it's a big open area, but not over the top. I think I need to find an inspiration piece for the room and work around that. The previous owners had a beautiful tapestry over the fireplace. I'm thinking I need to find something I like to put there and then decide the room around it. What do you think?

I had pulled these tapestry's from Art.com in my favorites folder....Do you like any of these? I like all the colors in this one, just not sure if it's the right style. I like that it's not real fussy, but pretty to look at.

These are more formal - but big enough to be in that space.

This is what the owner had when we first looked at the house

• awm03
    13 years ago

I'm not opposed to painting paneling, in fact I love the look. But that is a h*ll of a lot of resinous, bleeding, varnished/poly'ed wood in difficult, awkward places to paint. A mega-PITA to DIY and not cheap to hire out.

I checked around the web to see if there are knotty, woody rooms that are attractive. Do these pictures inspire you in any way? The wood does exude a nice warmth & coziness in incandescent light. And it seems to work beautifully with layers of art, fabrics, rugs & upholstery. Old brass looks pretty too.

The woodwork here is more formal; looks good with all the fabric though:

Knotty pine certainly wears gold framed art well:
    {{!gwi}}

Formal woodwork here too, but, again, it's lovely with the fabric, rug & lighting:

I kind of like that little balcony -- a bit of the unexpected. Maybe wrought iron spindles would make it more attractive, with a dramatic wall color peeking through from the other side?

I think kswl is on the right track. Paint the white wall in something warm & deep, see how that works. It's certainly the quickest & easiest approach for now. Judging from the above pics, looks like knotty pine rooms can take a lot color & pattern.

• erinsean
    13 years ago

I would paint the paneling and leave the ceiling unpainted. Take out the built-ins also, and then you have a clean slate to start on. Your house looks beautiful and I love having a fireplace in the family room and the office. Can't wait to see what you decide.

• awm03
    13 years ago

I like that first tapestry:

Happy birthday, btw!

• natal
    13 years ago

We lived with a knotty pine paneled room for 25 years. It was dark and gloomy ... not at all like your warm, light-filled space. Is the paneling in good condition?

I agree that the "window" to the loft should be closed off ... it just looks strange. Good call on removing the built-ins. Have you thought about something painted to replace them rather than more natural wood?

Playing with the office might be a good way to decide if that's a route you want to eventually take with the family room. Are there many windows in the office? Could you start with just painting the window/door trim in there to lighten the room and see how that feels?

Btw, I love the low windows! We have a picture window in the living room like that.

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

I'd love to have your problem to work on -- that is one potentially gorgeous room! A couple of minor comments: I like the landscape orientation of the current owner's tapestry much more than the portrait orientation of the tapestries you posted. The landscape orientation is closer to standard ceiling height and makes the room feel more cosy. One thing that would bother me is the large opening into the kitchen. I think I'd add french doors or dutch doors. Love the idea of glass front cabinetry to the right of the sink (I guess that's in the other thread). I'd probably replace the black trim on the recessed lighting with white.

• CaroleOH
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Everyone has such good points, I keep waffling about painting and getting it done with or waiting for a bit and seeing if the other elements help make my decision for me.

Thanks Awm03! I just like that one because of the colors, I picture just what you did, using a green for the walls and somehow finding fabric or panels that go with the wall color.

I think messing with the office is a manageable way to see what the paneling looks like painted. I really don't want to fill in the board grooves, I think that's what is interesting about painted paneling - the boards showing some interest.

Natal, I've thought about painting the builtins - cream, black - someone suggested green. I would prefer to do something more safe than cool like a green stain, just in case I get tired of it, cream/black is easier to live with long term. I was thinking about whoever makes my wall cabinets to have them make the builtin too. They could then paint both to match. Or I could do a distressed black or dark brown?

I agree that a tapestry in more of a landscaped format vs. portrait might look better, but honestly haven't found any I really like! I thought with the portrait setup I could position some candle sticks or something tall to fill in the sides.

• arcy_gw
    13 years ago

The window casings are so much more formal than fit the room. Interesting. I am wondering if the suggestion to paint them wouldn't bring them down,and thus make them fit better? They remind me of a church for some reason. The ceiling I would definitely keep as is. First it is beautiful and second if you paint it, it is going to really increase the feel of the size of the room. It seems to me you don't need that. With out seeing the rest of the home it is hard for me to understand your objections to this room. You feel it is a different style..yet as already stated it sure seems to fit its surroundings as we peek out the windows. Sarah was mentioned. She might hang a picture railing at 10 ft. all around the room and paint below the rail. I personally would never remove built ins unless they really just don't work, like the desk..I like the idea to paint them. The best suggestion might be live with it a bit. As you live in your new area you might find your taste changing to fit your surroundings. It happened to me!

• teacats
    13 years ago

Here's a lovely tapestry with great colors! :)

I would probably paint it all -- including the fireplace (but not the mantel -- I would stain that darker) ... BUT thats just me (LOL!) .... in a soft creamy white -- possibly Benjamin Moore "Linen White" for more of a European country house look ....

Or possibly go for a softer white-washed or bleached look ....

Here is a link that might be useful: art.com -- Summer Quince tapestry by William Morris

• northcarolina
    13 years ago

Just adding another word of caution about painting. We installed knotty pine beadboard wainscoting in a bathroom, primed and painted it carefully, and it doesn't look too good. I can't remember what primer we used (it's been a long time) but it was probably either BIN or Kilz. I think only one of those is formulated to properly deal with bleeding knots, and we must have used the other one. Several months after painting, the knots popped through. And we didn't paint the tongues before installing, so every winter when the wood contracts you can see dark lines between the BB panels. I need to paint them now that the gaps are as wide as they ever get, but I just haven't gotten around to it and also I'm afraid that when the wood expands again in the summer, the paint will be squeezed back out of the cracks. Anyway, I am no big fan of knotty pine but I think yours looks nice especially with all your natural light, and if it were my house, I'd probably try find a way to live with it. If not, perhaps a whitewash or glaze as other posters have mentioned -- something that'll look OK if and when the knots show through. I saw that Rubio Monocoat comes in a sort of whitewash effect... wonder if that would work? I suppose it depends on how your pine was finished. (p.s. I just finished our basement stairwell's knotty pine wainscoting in clear shellac and it looks nice, but I did use dewaxed shellac in the hopes that it can be painted over someday if someone [not me] wants to try. So maybe shellac would not be impossible to deal with, if that's how yours is finished?)

Good luck! I really like your house, knotty pine and all!

• CaroleOH
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Teacats, I saw that one and do like it, I just don't think it's big enough...

I'll have to take pictures of the builtins next week when we close. Believe me, they are the cheapest looking things. It's basically 1x8 pine boards - no trim, no nothing. The bottoms are boxes made out of the 1x8 boards with more 1x8 boards making up the doors. Looks like who ever paneled the room had some extra boards left over and just made the shelves etc. The opening for the TV is just a hole - no logical thought there. Probably had one of those giant rear projection TV's from the 80's that filled in that area. It's hard to see in a picture, but the bookcases or the desk area is not anything to worry about saving. I'm surprised it's lasted this long. The desk top has big dents/gashes in it and it's made up of boards too that have shrunk and so it's not even a level surface. Ripping those out is a no brainer, the walls...that's another story.

If I paint them and don't like it, I can always take the boards down, but it's alot of work either way.

• User
    13 years ago

Lots of beautiful colors I this one to play off of. . . . And I like the vertical orientation to emphasize the height which is a fantastic feature.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pierre Deux tapestry

• User
    13 years ago

We have 8 ft windows In our library that are similar to yours. The ceiling is 14 ft so we wanted curtains that did not get lost. ÃÂ Our designer had these made and suggested another layer of trim on the leading edge. ..I thought it would be too much and now wish I had done it. Once you are looking at a scale of 9 or 10 ft or larger for curtains you have to think "bigger" in every way

• CaroleOH
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love your panels! I think that looks really nice and would work well in our room to have the panels hung much higher. The minions are missing in those windows, I wonder if I could have some made to fill in the blankness of the glass.

• User
    13 years ago

You could have munitions made for your windows, definitely. Before you go to the expense, use tape to mimic how they'll look to make sure you want to go to the expense of having wood muntin bars custom made. Or, you might be able to find out the manufacturer of the windows and order them, as they most assuredly offered the same window with muntins. Some people like a more open window, but the style of your house and the direction in which you seem to be going does lend itself to a more traditional window.

• bdman2010
    13 years ago

Hi,
    Nice interior thoughts, I have bought an woodpine covered apartment in NY and planning to decorate, can you please suggest me more ?Some people like a more open window I appreciate this greatly. You can have a look home decor in house product in this site, I have ordered few items like fabricated floor mat , bed from this site. They are offering good stuff I must say.

http://www.vintageblessings.com/prestashop/

They focused greenworld slogan on their various item like pillow cover etc. I hope you will get better idea.

Many thanks for your attached image :)

Cheers

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Decor Item

• eandhl
    13 years ago

I like to see knots bleed through on pine. It displays all the character of the wood but in light bright look.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

We re-painted knotty pine in our kitchen. The PO's had already painted it a dirty cream color. I painted the walls over Christmas break 2008. We do not have bleeding with the knots, or if it's there, it's not noticeable. I used BM Regal in pearl finish in White Heron, two coats, no primer. It is a pain to paint between the grooves, and it uses more paint.

Previous:

Current:

I would leave the FR as is for now and maybe start with the office. I love the paneling on the ceiling in the FR. I also like the horizonal orientation in the office and FR.

A neighboring house put berber carpet in their knotty pine FR, and it really warms up the space. Other neighbors painted their paneling a sage green, which is also very nice.

If you do decide to rip it out, definitely sell it. There is a huge market for reclaimed wood.

I'm also not a fan of painted brick and would leave the FP as is. Boo on the gas logs. You should check on the logs if they are in your contract or not. Generally, if things are not permanently fixed, they could take it, although that's a bit tacky. You might be able to get those back or get compensated, but it might not be worth the hassle. Of course, laws vary by state.

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Carole:
    That's a great room! Love the natural light. And, congrats on your new place. I'm pretty sure I know what area it's in, (Starts with 'M',right?) and it always amazes me how people move into high-end homes and just never update them.

Anyway, are you sure your white slipcovered furniture you want won't look great against the kotty pine, or do you have that planned for somewhere else in the house? I'm thinking it might. But, yes, that built-in has to go.
    Dee

• sconway11324
    13 years ago

ok. I am going in a different direction because I think you can make that room look gorgeous. As awm03 showed you, the look is formal but not stuffy- it is inviting and given the choices of tapestry that you have posted, it seems you are going in that direction. So, maybe you can lighten the room by (1) painting the fireplace (a lot easier to do) a lighter color (I wish I knew how to photoshop...for my to do list) or (2) just paint the ceiling white. Once you place your furniture, tapestries, etc., the pine will become just part of the background (just like rugs). Most people can't value stained wood because it is too expensive and laborious! So, have someone photoshop the heck out of your picture before you do anything! IMO.

• CaroleOH
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Dee, Yes, you've guessed right. It's amazing how people let houses fall into disrepair or fail to update anything in 30 years! But, those folks aren't on this forum!

The slipcovered furniture will go in the LR - it will be a tad more formal, or I should say light colored furniture/walls/trim. The FR will have our leather sectional and ottoman - more casual things and the dark brown will work nice with the brick fireplace.

When I see knotty pine paneling painted like in some of the posted pictures here, I like the paneling grooves and how they look painted. In my room, it's not paneling in the traditional sense. They are actual boards that have been nailed to the wall. So some boards are flush and some are not and some have a tad more space between the other ones etc. So it's that total ununiformity (is that a word?) that worries me if I paint.

I think I'm going to live with it for a bit and if I don't like it will probably just take it down and drywall...I think painting it will be a bear with all the knots and the shiny surface that will need sanded/primed etc.

I'm sure I'll be back frequently to give updates and more advice!

• User
    13 years ago

This darn iPad! Of course I meant MUNTINS and not munitions for your windows, for heavens sake. . . Sorry. :(

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

don't apologize -- I LIVE for the funny typos!

• kellyeng
    13 years ago

I love the pine ceiling with the beams so wouldn't do a thing with them. However, the walls are another story. I would paint them a nice bright but muted green and paint all the trim including windows white. Also not a fan of brick fireplaces but love the look of white wash brick fireplaces. The room really needs some wood floors but I would do a contrasting color to the ceiling. Your paprika couch would work beautifully.

This is what I envision:

{{!gwi}}

• les917
    13 years ago

Well, I am a fan of the room as it is, except for two things, and they are both in the same area - the drywall wall and arched windows. It is like they borrowed that wall from another house.

Someday, if it were in the budget, I would take out those three windows and replace with one large wall of windows/french doors there.

For now, if you are thinking of painting the paneling, the first thing I think you need to do is ADD paneling to that drywalled area to make it feel like it belongs to the space.

Instead of painting, could you do a pickling or whitewash effect in a soft grey or grey-green color? I think it would tone down the effect of the pine that you hate, which seems to be the color more than anything, and would work toward a less lodge, more country French feel.

I would love to see the fireplace redone in slate tile. Or, do the outside 'pillars' and the hearth and fireplace surround in a stone facing something like this, and drywall the center area above the mantel.

stone facing

I actually don't mind the opening on the second level, but I am wondering if it serves any real purpose? The spindles are bad, tho. My thought would be to put in a window, so that guests could see into the room, but would not have the sound transference or the feeling of a 'balcony to nowhere'. They would get light into the upstairs space, but keep their privacy.

It seems like a very cool home - congrats on the move, and happy birthday!

• CaroleOH
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kellyeng, thanks for the mockup! What software did you use? I have photoshop elements, and I can't get it to do anything...

Les and Sconway, there are so many things to be done to this house, I don't see the windows being replaced or the fireplace being refaced or painted. My DH loves that fireplace. I think he thinks it's like a temple or something.

Love all your ideas, so keep them coming. I like the idea of staining the boards, but that would involve sanding or removing the finish on alot of boards - I'm mean there is alot of boards in this room!

• kellyeng
    13 years ago

Also, I would turn that loft opening into a Juliet Balcony:

{{!gwi}}

• kellyeng
    13 years ago

caroleoh - My program is Photoshop CS5.

• abundantblessings
    13 years ago

Congrats on the new home. Since you have the luxury of having a few months before moving, you can change the space to your liking without a lot of pressure. You have lots you want to tackle so unless you plan to do the work yourself or act as your own gc, it may be a good idea to consult with one to help prioritize your wish list and get an idea of $$ attached to your projects before getting bids.

While some paneling, particularly cherry or maple, can look wonderful in libraries, and knotty pine might look good in lodges, it's not a look I'd want in my family room. In a previous home, without your high ceilings and skylights, we removed the paneling, drywalled and installed hardwood flooring before moving in. The change was dramatic and made the room brighter & airy. In one of my mother's homes, we painted the paneling and, again, the room went from dark and dismal to cheerful. I wouldn't combine the existing paneling with the wood floors you're planning, especially with the ceilings. Four planes of wood is too much for me, but YMMV. Once you decide what you'd be comfortable living with, it will be a terrific space.

You've gotten lots of ideas already and I may have missed this, but would you consider not going with built-ins but using casegoods instead? Doing so will offer much more flexibility. If you DH is set on keeping the family room brick unpainted, would you be happy with painting the office FP?

I'm not a drapes person, but go for it if you are. Long panels will add color & warmth, but I'd not add mullions which would compromise the view. Consider Silhouettes, either regular or top down if you want privacy. We wanted to keep our view, so got the top down version but rarely lift them though on occasion we may go 2/3s up at night.

I'd change the Juliette opening as well. Unless it's providing needed light into the guest room, I'd rather have clean space in the family rm and storage or shelving in the guest room.

• awm03
    13 years ago

Kellyeng, those mock-ups are wonderful!

Two things though: staining that paneling would be even harder than painting. You'd have to strip the finish & sand like crazy so the stain can soak in, and because the wood already has a color, it would be hard to determine what the final stained color would be.

found this discussion about using glazes on knotty pine to change the color:
    knotty pine discussion

Also, kellyeng's lovely mock-up furnishings would make the room look good even as it is now. I think once CarolOh starts moving stuff in, she'll get a better idea of which direction to go with the room.

Just for fun, here's another pretty room with knotty pine:

I realize your plank walls are more rustic, but still, these pictures show that orangey, dark knotty pine walls aren't the kiss of death.

• DruidClark
    13 years ago

Didn't read all the posts; ignore if redundant. If you want to paint it, I'd at least paint the officey part. I had knotty pine in my kitchen and painted it over w/ Kilz first as a primer and then just plain ol' paint. Nary a knot showing through and that was probably 5 years ago. Now I'd probably use SW PrepRite (or Prepright). I've found it to work as well as Kilz, but not as smelly.

• patty_cakes
    13 years ago

I love it! You've got a great start for a rustic French country room. If it were the type of paneling used it the 50's I would say take it down ASAP, but knotty pine is not the same. Any color goes with wood! ;o)

• dianalo
    13 years ago

My plan would be:
    paint the trim on the paneled wall around the doorway and all the windows to tie them in together. Leave the paneling alone and see if the contrasting trim helps.
    I'd paint the inside of the built ins to see if that is enough of a change. If that does not work, you can remove the built ins and the paneling but leave what is above the windows in place. It would be less to deal with and you'd let the paneling above coordinate with the ceiling.

I'd also paint the wall behind your desk in between the shelves. It would brighten it up and make the shelves pop a little.
    As mentioned, painting knotty pine is a PITA (been there, done that). You need a really good primer and I recommend 2 coats. Use a quality paint, either an oil base or a good latex like Aura and you will have less of a chance of bleed and a much longer time between having to do any touch ups or repaints.
    As for colors, I'd keep them a light neutral but not white. Try to pull a very light color out from the fpl so the fpl won't look dirty next to a crisp white paint. You can choose a similar light color for the walls, (1 shade darker, perhaps) with enough of a contrast to not blend with the trim. If you like soft green, use that for the carpet. I'd keep the walls looking more natural and save the color for the floor.

I'd do a nice curtain up on the balcony and paint the spindles the same as your trim color (but not the top rail). It would be too nice a feature to remove. It adds character.

• sandra_zone6
    13 years ago

I love your room!

I think what throws it off is the white wall; far too stark and cold. I love the mock-up with the painted wall and tapestry. Throw some drapes in there hung like KSWL posted and you are good to go. I do not care at all for the painted paneling. To me, you would go from warm and rich to cheap looking, looks like someone didn't like panel but didn't want to take it down. I wouldn't touch the fireplace either; don't care for the look of painted fireplaces, to me they look old, dated and painted. But some do love them; not me. If you do not want the built ins, rip them out. What is behind them may determine whether you leave your wall alone or not.

One option for your office, instead of ripping out all the boards is to simply drywall over them. You would have to remove the boards from the doorway wall, but not the entire room. If you take your time, drywall really is not difficult to do at all; it's more a job to be done slowly, properly, with care.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

happy birthday!

i would not be happy with the orangey color of the paneling, so i would definitely either try to stain the paneling a richer color such as pic above or would probably just paint...i think painted paneling is beautiful!! i would then stain the window trim (and possible mantle)the color of whatever stain you use on the builtins.

i think your windows would look fantatic with panels hung as kswl shows!

changing the railing in the opening to a black wrought iron or a metal in a color similar to whatever the paneling is painted in might help the railing fade away...i would def leave it open tho!

and, i'm kindof partial to the tree of life tapestry! there's plenty to do 1st before you worry about that tho!

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

Here's a room Sarah Richardson did:

Pic is small, but go to her site and look for "Sarah's Cottage" I also have a local design mag that shows a recently built lake house (a grand lake house, but a lake house nonetheless). The designer used no drywall in the house. All the walls and ceilings are boards painted a uniform BM China White. I don't have a flatbed scanner anymore, or I would post a pic for you. The white is broken up with salvaged beams and posts, and the decor is all in neutrals, greige, white slipcovers, etc. It looks great

• chris11895
    13 years ago

Another home I love where white painted beadboard and paneling with wood beams was used throughout is Massachusetts Architect Patrick Ahearn's. You can see it on his site (link below).

Here is a link that might be useful: Patrick Ahearn

• awm03
    13 years ago

Wonder if it would be cheaper to remove the paneling than paint it?

• CaroleOH
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Love that Patrick Ahern room...So hard to picture what will look best. I don't think I'd do a pure white - the room faces south and gets alot of natural light, may be a little blinding!

• CaroleOH
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I've called all around and any of the wood "reclamation" companies aren't real interested in pine boards. Those that may be would require me to take it all down, sort by size and stack and bind all the boards up for shipping, and they're in different states I figure they're not going to pay much if anything for it once they figure their transportation costs.

I could give it to habitat for humanity I guess, but again, someone would have to carefully dismantle it all, stack and take it there and we don't have a truck. I was hoping against hope there would some company out there that would come and take it down and haul it away - I'd give it to them for free just for their labor. Now if it was cherry, or hickory or something interesting like barn siding I think I'd have some takers! :-)

• sandra_zone6
    13 years ago

I take back what I said early about not liking painted wood paneling - I love those two rooms, but I would want to keep the fireplace and ceiling as is....

I did see your other post and can see the room doesn't quite go with the style of your entry door or kitchen.

I think I'd paint the wall where the windows are, select drapes, get rid of the built-ins and do what you want with the floor now. Once in, you can always paint that wood wall or drywall over it or whatever you chose.

• arcy_gw
    13 years ago

At the dentist I saw a picture of hotel where the pine walls were left but the ceiling was painted white. That looked nice too. The fire place configuration looked just like your FR!! I vote for leaving the fireplace. I am just not a fan of white painted brick. That goes waaaaay back and I just can't go there. Better to clad in stone or something than paint. I think the honed granite idea sounded really great.

• chris11895
    13 years ago

caroleoh - maybe you should put an ad on Craigslist and/or hang a flier up at a local building supply store? I'd have to imagine there is some contractor out there working on a house and would be pthrilled to have the wood. Actually, maybe that's who you should try calling - some local contractors. If not, as others have mentioned, maybe you can drywall over it?

• awm03
    13 years ago

Well, caroleoh, I keep trying to find an unpainted paneling picture that strikes a chord with you, because if you can work with the paneling, it sure would save you a bunch o' bucks. Let's not give up yet!

Here is a link that might be useful: related article

• CaroleOH
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just typed a long response and lost it!! So I'll just say I think I'll hold off on doing anything with the paneling and let it grow on me. I'm thinking I need to pick out other things and see how it all fits. If the paneling doesn't fit it will be obvious.

I did make one decision! I ordered the tapestry I liked from art.com. As soon as I saw that tapestry it just felt right to me. So we will see how it looks in real life! Maybe it will be my inspiration piece!

• User
    13 years ago

Caroleh, all those pine-paneled inspiration photos people have posted are goregous. I think your pine could look the same if you did a waxed finish on it. Perhaps you could try that on one board to see---- use a bit darker wax and then buff. It would darken the color to something a bit more to your liking, perhaps, and give it a deeper shine that those inspiration walls seem to have. It will be a lot of work, but certain less than painting the paneling and/or removing it.

Glad you've picked out a tapestry--- that first piece will help you build around it. Good luck!

• deegw
    13 years ago

I feel the paneling and the fireplace are really fighting for attention. Both are busy, strong design elements. The stark white wall between the two just adds to the contrast.

As suggested, I would start with painting the white wall and then live with things. My instinct would be to do something to tone down the fireplace. Not painting, but reface it or do something with the grout. You could possibly dry wall over the top 3/4 of the fireplace and paint that whole wall the same color as the window wall.

Lots of possibilities but I wouldn't do anything drastic until you've lived there for a while.

Congratulations on your new house!

• lydia1959
    13 years ago

I actually kind of like the wood paneling... but in the link they have painted and that looks great too! I don't think anyone else gave you this site.. but you did have a lot of replies which I just skimmed through.

Here is a link that might be useful: Before and After