Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuesday_2008

Can we talk about tile and grout and wood....please

tuesday_2008
13 years ago

I didn't want to hi-jack jillinnj's post about cleaning grout, but have some major concerns I need "counseling" with. I guess I just need some hand-holding through this.

I will be starting a BR and laundry upgrade soon and can't decide on flooring. In fact - it is driving me crazy! This will be my final upgrade and I so want to get it right.

History: I currently have HW floord thoughout my entire house (including DH's BR) but have linoleum in the LR and my BR. Have been planning the BR reno for a few years, but the laundry room got lumped in because (you are not going to believe this one), DH is going to put a huge, heavy, honking gunsafe in there! Told you! We don't have an attached heated garage nor basement, so it is the only room it will work in. It weights about 1000 lbs. That is not negotiable - we (I) are/am compromising on this and we have the room for it in there. WE also will have to tear out a wall to install an acrylic shower unit in the bath which is back to back to the LR. So this is my window of opportunity to get the laundry room done.

We live in the country; we don't enter the house through a garage; we have paved driveway and bricked patio, but you still carry in dirt; DH is in the excavation business; he is in and out of the house a lot with dirty boots; he uses the LR as his entrance so the floor get dirty.

My Plans:

Put the best quality linoleum I can find in the LR - one that looks like grouted tile, but will clean easily. This also includes a short hall-way that brings you into the main part of the house. Remember, this is not our main entrance - just DH's. My main entrance is off a brick patio through french doors into my family room. I have wood floors there. So I don't worry about guests seeing linoleum in the laundry/mud area.

I really want to put HW flooring in my bath. I know - many frown on wood floors in the BR, but I don't. It has worked for years in the other bath and kitchen - I am not afraid of water and wood floors if done properly. Water emergencies can happen - you deal with it. And it will flow easily with the rest of my house.

I am being encouraged by family to go with tile in the LR and bath. I love the look; it will lighten up my bathroom; I will have lots of choices; it will make it easier to pick out vanities and cabinets.

Problem: I really, really don't think our lifestyle can deal with keeping tile and grout clean. I want EASY! We are nearing retirement age and I have nightmares that my new floors will look dirty and grungy in a few years and I will have to deal with how to maintain grout when I am 70 years old. I have reasearched and researched - many say tile and grout is easy to maintain; many say it is a nightmare. That also goes back to why I am installing this huge honking acrylic (but nice) tub/shower unit. As much as I love the gorgeous tiled showers, I just don't want to deal with cleaning/maintaining tile and grout in my older years.

Please, please share your experiences, suggestions, and thoughts on this.

Tuesday

Comments (6)

• deeinohio
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Tuesday: We have black and white tile in the entry, with black grout, and beige porcelain tile in the sunroom with cement colored grout (dark gray). The sunroom is the door through which our 2 Aussies come through many, many, many times a day. It still looks like new, and I've never had it cleaned.

My dad warned us before we put down any ceramic tile to make sure we picked a dark color, and it worked for us.
    Dee

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I don't think you need any counseling at all. I think your decisions are perfect for you. But one question: when you say linoleum, do you really mean linoleum or are you considering sheet vinyl? Either is fine. Good linoleum will last forever.

Are you going to put the flooring around the gun case or the gun case on the flooring?

• callie25
    13 years ago

We had vinyl in our kitchen & laundry (it yellowed over the years & looked dingy even though it was just moped). It was probably installed for about 10 yrs before we decided to install tile. I knew I didn't want ceramic as its more brittle, so we installed porcelain tile. I love it! Easy to clean (in fact I don't mop it as much as I did the vinyl). The dirt/sand scratches vinyl and thus far not a problem with the tile. The key is neutral to darker colors with somewhat darker grout; and don't forget to seal really well. We purchased the 20 yr sealer from Home Depot and used it both on the shower grout & floor. The shower grout has yet to mold (installation & sealing was about 1 1/2 yrs ago). The sealer was well worth the money. But you're right, the acrylic does clean easily.
    However, it all depends on what YOU like and what will be easy maintenance for you. That said, I'd install porcelain tile again without hesitation.

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

There's no such thing as "tile and grout" per se. There are worlds of different tile *and* grout now so that you have to make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

Grey grout is a wonderful thing. In the 90s, I spent way too much time on my hands and knees cleaning white grout between the cheap white ceramic tiles in the bathrooms of our last house. HATED it. We also had less than 10-year-old vinyl in the kitchen (I didn't choose it--the PO did) that had yellowed.

Fast forward to our new house: we have put gold/beige throughbody (same color all the way through -- great in case of chipping, which hasn't happened) porcelain tile with either Laticrete natural grey or TEC standard grey grout in the baths and laundry/mud room (it gets muddy in Oregon, esp. with an outdoorsy family) and it's practically bulletproof. If you want even more bulletproof, get your installer to use epoxy grout (not in changes of plane, though! caulk only there!) and dirt won't have the slightest chance of sticking.

The only thing that would move me in the direction of a 'resilient floor' would be the softness underfoot. If that is important, and it's a nice feature as we age and our knees hurt more, I'd go with that. Vinyl has also improved its technology such that the higher end ones are much more durable in terms of color and puncture. You could underfloor-heat wood or tile, but not vinyl, as I understand the current technology.

So I'm throwing some other factors in there, and trying to make sure you are judging on specifics.

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

I'll second what flyleft said... Grouts have come a long way. I just installed my bathroom floor tile with epoxy grout. This is totally stain-free... impervious; unlike regular grouts which a very porous and actually absorb dirt and stains. Epoxy grout cleans up just as easily as the tile itself. Sure, the lines might introduce a slight bit more texture than a linoleum floor would have, but they won't get stained...

• tuesday_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry for posting and running - got tied up over the weekend and didn't make it back to the computer.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences and suggestions.

Dee - if your tile can handle two dogs, surely it can handle a husband. Will definitely go dark enough to hide dirt.

Southerngal - I will definitely be going with the acrylic unit in bath - I know I can maintain this.

Gray - The safe will be on the flooring. That is something else I need to research - whether tile can handle the weight?? I am looking at vinyl (I think) - thickestI can get. Tell me about the difference in vinyl and linoleum.

Stacy and Flyleft - I will check out the epoxy grout.

I have a lot to think about.

Tuesday