Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren0319

Is this bedroom set too massive for my bedroom? (pics!)

lauren0319
13 years ago

Here is the current state of our bedroom. Don't judge :) We have lived here for 3 years, this was the paint from the previous owner and we are now ready to completely redo. We will be scraping the popcorn off the ceiling, adding 4 or 6 recessed lights, new fan, new paint, and of course all new furniture, bedding, etc etc etc.

Standing at the doorway

{{!gwi}}

facing the door to the master bathroom

{{!gwi}}

wall opposite the bed

{{!gwi}}

computer nook (cannot be seen from bedroom enterance. I would like for my husband to make "doors" to cover the open cabinets... we'll see.) It is a useful area, even though it's unsightly.

{{!gwi}}

Facing the bed.

{{!gwi}}

However, this is not a *huge* room. It is 165" wide and 195" deep. (so about 16 ft. x 13 ft) I'm not so worried about length as I am width. (I am not counting the computer nook)

The master bedroom set I am considering is City Club by Stanley. I am not 100% sold on this set, but it will probably be something similar. See link below. It's a pretty massive set.

For example- we want a king size bed. The bed is 85" wide. The space between my windows is only 76", so the bed will over lap the windows. Will that look goofy?

The night stands are 32" wide. If I do 2 night stands and the king size bed, that's 149" and I only have 165". There are skinner night stands (the telephone stand) that are 22" so I think that would be a better bet. (129") wdyt?

fwiw- the windows are 34" wide.

I want to get either the dresser or the Oxford Dressing Chest with a mirror. That will go opposite the bed... I feel like there is plenty of room for that.

Finally- I want a tall dresser (there are 2 to choose from- the Cottage Drawer Chest or the Oxford Drawer chest; they are very similar.) I would put that on the wall next to the bedroom enterance- it's 95" wide and the chests are ~45" wide- so plenty of room there.

I am mainly concerned w/ the bed and night stands. We are probably never moving and we will keep this furniture for a long long time so I want to make a good decision.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Here is a link that might be useful: City Club by Stanley

Comments (51)

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your thoughts. You are right- that might be too much wood...
    Ceilings are average, I think. Not super high, (house was built in 1990) but not low at all.
    I like the idea of a bench or chair, BUT I really need the storage that the dressers will provide.
    I am willing to spend up to about $5-6K on a bedroom set... I want high quality and it needs to last; I could see us using this in 20 or 30 years....
    Eek. I am so conflicted...

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Whenever I am planning a room makeover with new furniture, I use graph paper to plan everything out, paying particular attention to the width of all walkways, etc. There are also software design tools which some on here use as well. I often find what I think may work, does not. Another thing you can do, is to do a mock-up of the bedframe via a combination of pulling you existing bed out and adding some cardboard boxes to the side to expand the width. Then see how you feel walking around in your space.

If you do opt for this bed, I would suggest changing your WTs so that they are draped to the outer corners with no panels on the inside edges where your headboard will extend. That way you may not need to pull the bed out so far from the window sil. A sheer/breezy fabric would look nice and serve as a counter point to the more massive headboard.

I think your computer nook looks very convenient. I would look adding either bi-fold doors or drapes so you can close it off when not it use. Could also be nice if you or DH is working late at night on the computer and other one wants to sleep as the way it looks now, it would be distrubing to the one who wishes to sleep.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I see a potential pinch point at the lower right hand corner of your last picture. The foot of the bed will be much closer to that corner. You may want to consider a king headboard and no footboard. IF you like the case pieces, there is nothing wrong with mixing in something like an upholstered headboard that fits the space a bit better and using the dressers. It doesn't all have to match.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Someone posted this website not too long ago here. It is free design software. I absolutely love it. I have been using it to try and figure out how to arrange our basement (and if I move the TV to another wall one more time which causes my dh to move the cable again, I'm sure I'll be in big trouble). You can do the model in 2D, 3D, and even create a snapshot that looks like a real photo! Try it, it's great.

Here is a link that might be useful: homestyler

• marthaelena
    13 years ago

I like the quality of Stanley furniture (my dining room is that brand).
    I am finding the city club bed a little bit too busy, wich adds to the masive factor and since you are planning to use it for 20 years, maybe you want something a little bit more cleaner, yet classic. The bed and other items are on sale.
    Restoration Hardware has a bed that I really like and it is very similar to the city club one, take a look at it, maybe you like it.
    As a general comment, I regret that all the pieces in my bedroom set are exactly the same style (that was what DH wanted), wish I had a couple of pieces in different textures/colors or style.
    Good luck with your project

Here is a link that might be useful: Camden Panel Bed

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I appreciate all your thoughts :)

So the City Club is OFF the list. I went to look at it in person and just did not like it. Back to square 1 :)

I am considering an upholstered headboard, in leather. I'm a "germaphobe" and cloth/material icks me out... plus, I have very young children and cloth does not seem practical. What are your thoughts on a panel, upholstered king size bed? Is that "timeless"?

Then I could find basically what ever chest, dresser, and night stand I would want.

No matter what, the bed is going to cover the windows, since I am set on King. How bad will that be? I looked at one by Lexington today and it was 82" (the space I have is 76".) Link Below

??

Here is a link that might be useful: Lexington Bed

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

If it overlaps the curtain panels slightly I don't think its such a big deal (3" on each side) . I also think that an upholstered headboard will long look quite as much like it is blocking the window as a more massive wooden piece of furniture.

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Woops- let me get the correct link. I'm not in love with this bed, but I'm liking the idea of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Avalon bed by Lexington

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

I like that one better too. I noticed the CA king size is nearly narrower, but longer. If that's an option, it will barely overlap the windows at all.

• arcy_gw
    13 years ago

I really love your bed now. Is a King an absolute? I am thinking you will be unhappy with the over lap of the windows once it is done. Maybe it would fit on a different wall? I think you could get a really romantic feel if you use your bad as the inspiration, starting point. You said the nook is useful, could it become a closet? I think the white furniture and the colored walls is just confusing. Start by painting the room, maybe the furniture could use a face lift, then see what furniture attracts you?

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Woops- let me get the correct link. I'm not in love with this bed, but I'm liking the idea of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Avalon bed by Lexington

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Regardless of how much my budget allowed, I wouldn't do a bed that extended over the windows - at all. Is a king size something you must have? If it were my room, I would consider finding a bed that fit between the windows or could be oriented on a different wall. Just me, but the bed overlapping windows would drive me crazy. If that doesn't matter to you, then go for it. The size of the beds you are linking do seem to be very substantial. Definitely take the advice given to use graph paper and map out what this purchase will look like once in place.

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

Here is something to think about.. you don't mention replacing the desk but I have a feeling that once you get your new furniture in there; the desk will bother you.

Now; is there a TV in the one piece? If so; consider this- look into a new TV that can be used with the computer so that you don't need the monitor; it's what we're starting to do in bedrooms. It may turn out that you don't need the desk at all but can get something dual purpose to either fill the current nook or do something different with the desk space.

I like the telephone stands & I like the bed that Martha posted.

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The desk is a built in. You can only see it if you're coming out of the bathroom... guests would rarely if ever even know it is there. I'm fine leaving it as is... for now :)

I am very torn on the bed. It really *belongs* between the windows. There really isn't another wall to put it on... unless I put it on the wall that has the bathroom door. But I just think that would look odd.

The beds I am currently looking at are around 82" wide, so it would hang over the windows 3" on each side. I'm thinking I could maybe disguise it w/ curtains and no one would even know. wdyt?

• Sheeisback_GW
    13 years ago

Maybe I'm having a hard time picturing it but could you put the bed where the tall white dresser is and put a dresser between the windows? This may not work for you. I know what you mean when you say the bed was "meant" to go at said spot as that's what I kept coming back to when I was arranging the furniture in my room.

I was going to say I wouldn't like the bed going over the windows but the pictures above I think look nice. I would only use a panel on the outer edges as shown.

• suero
    13 years ago

I don't have a problem with the headboard covering part of the window, just with the massiveness of the headboards that you appear to favor. The examples that Chris posted that show a headboard blocking part of a window both have headboards that are open, not solid.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Note in the pics above that those are not solid headboards. Yes that bed would look bad, between the windows or not it's too massive. You would be much better with a headboard of some sort that rises up to it's total height at center but drops to near pillow level at the edges, then do drapes pulled back on the outsides or do a full drapery across the entire back of the bed (essentially taking the windows out of the equation). But either way, not a huge straight backed massive hunk of wood....heck I wouldn't use that kind of mass in my 30x20 bedroom...with any other pieces it's just too overwhelming.

The leather headboard or a better shaped wood one without a foot board and without matching side tables (matchey/matchey in massive is never a good look) and with a complimentary dresser would be so much better in the long run.

Then there is the nook....forget the door! With all of that wood furniture it would be too much. How about pulled back drapes that you just pull closed when you don't want to see the area? Amuch more lux look and softer which works well for a cozy bedroom space.

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am intrigued by the idea of "mismatched" furniture. Can anyone show me pics?
    Back to the drawing board for headboards.. I agree w/ igloochic- a headboard that rises in the center and slopes down might be just what I need since the windows will be covered a tad. I want a panel bed- or some sort of bed that does not require a dust ruffle. That is a must.
    We will be purchasing two night stands, a "triple dresser" of some sort and a taller dresser. I long for the storage dressers provide. Budget for entire room is around $8K (also has to include new king size mattresses.) Doable?
    Ignore the nook for now... we'll deal with that later :)

So I'm back to square 1... but feel like I'm making progress. haha.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I am willing to spend up to about $5-6K on a bedroom set... I want high quality and it needs to last; I could see us using this in 20 or 30 years....

The downside of stretching to buy heirloom quality furniture is that you are then committed to keeping it a long time. I don't know how old you are, but my tastes have changed throughout the years and I have moved countless times to houses of various sizes. On the other hand, some people like the same style of furniture their entire lives and live in the same house for 30 years.

Bedroom furniture doesn't get the wear and tear that other pieces get. This might not be the furniture that you need to spend a bankroll of money on. Spending half the amount you have budgeted may make you just as happy. Have you looked at places like The Room Store or even the higher end lines at Value City? Just something to consider.

On the other hand, a good mattress is a wonderful investment. A top of the line Temperpedic in king will set you back about $5k. And its worth it, IMO.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Room Store

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No- I'm good w/ keeping my furniture for a long time. The dresser I am currently using was purchased by my grandparents when I was 3 at a garage sale for $30 :)It's that terrible white thing next to the door to my bedroom.
    So I am very comfortable making a large investment knowing that I'll keep it for 30 years.

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another thing I should add, is my husband would love a four poster bed! But do I need a big room to pull off a king size four poster bed, or could I make it work with the space I have? That would steer me away from the massive headboards I was leaning towards. (again- I must have a panel bed as well :)

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

There are many different types of beds that don't require bed skirts. All you need are the side panels. My bed is a sleigh bed and I don't use a bedskirt. Some of the four posters have sections of the posts that can be removed if you find it too imposing so then the bottom posts will not extend so high. I like that option as it gives you more flexibility--esp. as you say you want to keep the furniture for a long time and, though you are not planning it, a move could be required for some unforseen reason.

You might be suprised how much of your budget will get eaten up in other incidentals. As graywings mentioned a good quality mattress will cost you, then if you want to get allergy/bedbug covers for the mattress/boxspring, bedding, pillows, WTs, rug, perhaps a chair or settee, etc. I just purchased a new top of the line queen sized mattress (a Simmons Beautyrest Black) and with all the wheeling and dealing, pricematching, etc. I was luckly to get it for $1,800 (but list price was closer to $3K). It all depends how much you shop around as most stores offer a price match guarantee or they will sell it to you for 5% less.

For a collected look, you would focus on getting the bed in place first utilizing your existing dressers and then reassess how your room looks and feels after that.

Also, keep in mind you can resell what you have now on Craigslist and recoup some of your expenses. It you go that route, make sure to save the pretty pictures you have now, perhaps take some more closeups of your existing bed/furniture before you dismantle it. Things sell so much better if pictures are taken in a decorative/clean environment than from a garage.

• Sheeisback_GW
    13 years ago

Maybe it's just the photos but I don't think your room looks small. I don't see why you couldn't have a four poster bed but I would keep the headboard lower for the reasons others mentioned above. You could possibly do half posts at the bottom or even no posts. I considered this when bed shopping and my room is 15' x 11'6" with 8' ceilings.

As for the mismatched furniture. Here's a pic of my bedroom with vintage dressers paired with an iron bed and round side table.
    {{!gwi}}

The room is still in progress but here's a better shot (from when I was playing musical furniture) of the dressers and bed.
    {{!gwi}}

This photo is Lshobe2 from RMS
    {{!gwi}}

There might be some other pics in the gallery section of mismatched furniture.

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Went to my fav furniture store today and stumbled upon Lexington Blakeney Square and am loving the collection... my husband would love a poster bed (I would probably remove the canopy...)

wdyt? In *my* room?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lexington Blakeney Poster Bed- King

• graywings123
    13 years ago

It's 7.5 feet high. How high is the ceiling in your bedroom?

• suero
    13 years ago

The Blakeney poster bed could work in your room, but you would have to mount the window treatments higher, say from the ceiling.

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

I love Lexington furniture, and have Lexington in my MBR. Love what you have linked. Any chance of doing that set in a queen? Still think you would be doing that bed a disservice by placing it in front of two windows on either end. JHMO Have you graphed any of these sets out on paper?

I know you keep saying forget about the nook. It's not doable to forget about the nook. It is part of your MBR. I like the idea of softening the nook by some luxurious drapery to hide the area when not in use.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I haven't read all the replies yet, but if you want a good bed to last for 20-30 years, I'd get solid wood. Any material whether cloth or leather is going to scratch or tear over time.

I love your computer nook. If it's used often, I wouldn't change a thing.

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmm... my ceilings are 9 feet. (I would have sworn they were 10 but the ruler doesn't lie :)

I envision painting the walls a calming blue/grey and using bedding similar to the link below.

I was going to hang solid color panels, slightly on the wide side, That way the bed will be in "front" of the panels by just a few inches but won't be so obvious that it's in front of the window.

Any takers? Or do I need to go back to the drawing board. Hubby and I would like a king size bed... simply bc we will have this set for SO long. It's time to upgrade from the queen :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Eucalyptus Bedding

• gayle0000
    13 years ago

I didn't read every response. Forgive if I repeat.

I would get out a tape measure and fill up the space the new bed will take up. Masking tape on the floor. Set some chairs in the space...just something to get a real-time feel of how much floor space you will lose. Walk around it. See how it feels.

I don't think your room is small, but then I'm one who prefers to sleep in my room, watch a little tv at bedtime, get dressed, and that's about it. I prefer my square footage to be in public spaces.

If you need room to roam, you will get a good feel by filling the space and seeing how it makes you feel.

I don't think there will be that much of a problem with the windows if you keep it balanced and don't expect the windows to serve the same purpose as you're used to.
    Gayle

• gayle0000
    13 years ago

I didn't read every response. Forgive if I repeat.

I would get out a tape measure and fill up the space the new bed will take up. Masking tape on the floor. Set some chairs in the space...just something to get a real-time feel of how much floor space you will lose. Walk around it. See how it feels.

I don't think your room is small, but then I'm one who prefers to sleep in my room, watch a little tv at bedtime, get dressed, and that's about it. I prefer my square footage to be in public spaces.

If you need room to roam, you will get a good feel by filling the space and seeing how it makes you feel.

I don't think there will be that much of a problem with the windows if you keep it balanced and don't expect the windows to serve the same purpose as you're used to.
    Gayle

• chris11895
    13 years ago

Lauren0319,
    In regards to the mismatched furniture, I'd head to your local library and/or bookstores and browse magazines and design books. What you'll probably start to notice is how the featured bedrooms are usually not showing a set, but that ads in magazines and catalogs for furniture stores are.
    Look at Traditional Home, House Beautiful, Veranda, etc., etc, then head to the design area of the store and continue. Thumb through Bunny Williams' "An Affair With a House" (I think it's in most stores) and you'll see a large scale example of mismatched furniture. If they have a photocopier, copy some of the pages, check out some of the books, or buy a couple of magazines with many rooms you like. At home, you can also browse bedrooms on Houzz.com and HouseBeautiful.com not to mention a million others! I'd start there and then build an Inspiration File. This really won't take you long and you'll probably start to realize you like particular beds and styles and it might make it easier to select the perfect bed and figure out if you still want a set. It will also help you pinpoint what color, style, and overall feel you'd like the room to have. Oh, and make sure you post all of your findings back here so we can see the pretty pictures too!
    :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: House Beautiful Bedrooms

• chris11895
    13 years ago

Here is my shoddy attempt at making your wall "blue gray" - looks more gray than blue now that I did it! Also, do you want that exact bedding - or are you looking for something like it?

I'd love to see an Inspiration picture, or a picture of your favorite room in your house and then I think we'll be able to help more with the style.

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Love this photo shopping :)

So see the link below. I think this room is simply stunning. Except, as far as bed linens go, I need something with a pattern. I have a 2 1/2 year old and one on the way- white/cream would NOT work in this house :)

Here is a link that might be useful: blue, cream, and brown master

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Two panel curtains won't work! Abandon that idea now and consider rich, even heavy if you like, single panel drapes pulled back on opposite sides. It's the only way to make it work! I'm going to try to link you to the ones I just made as an example....I'm on an iPad so it's wonky...

Argh....scroll through and look at the burgundy drapes in the master suite (white tree room).

As an FYI...using one of the fabulous foam mattressesvat Costco (699 for king) you could easily reproduce almost any room in my house using antiques which will be worth more than you pay for them today when you let them go in 30 years :). The styles will always be classic because they are pieces from the past. I'm not saying my style is perfect...actually most of this is stuff that came with the house so it's not how it will be (I like things a bit more eclectic) but there are several bed styles, no matching side tables, and all of the beds are queen or king converted by a pro for just a few hundred bucks (our master is a cal king and the side rails are in the shop...I also don't care for bed skirts). My side rails will have a piece that basically curves around the mattress edge and joins the antique piece so it looks like it did 150 years ago.

I only mention this because your last fab choice in a bed was very traditional and would be at home with any of my old pieces. I'm a bit of a wood snob myself and have to say that I like it solid. Buying antique is a good investment unlike throw away stuff from now. And there is the issue of it's continued value where as any new furniture will depreciate rapidly. As an example, dh spent about ten grand on a solid cherry bedroom set a few years ago. As we were downsizing we has to sell it....for 1500 :(. New, even quality new, just won't see it's value return unless you hold it 100 years or more unfortunately.

Ok enough blabbering....keep thinking. I love where you are going so far!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sorry one pic won't work

• chris11895
    13 years ago

I'm with igloochic on the antiques and one panel ( essentially the whole post!). A furniture store I drool in is leonards. I provided the link below, it's eye candy for antique lovers. :). Their stuff resales in our area for almost full retail, even when people sell it on CL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leonards Furniture

• kristinekr
    13 years ago

I have a king size bed and LOVE it!!!! I would not stay with a queen size bed for design reasons. My sister who has a tiny bedroom pretty much only has a bed in her room as nothing else will fit--but it's worth it to her.

As far as buying a mattress--most mattress stores--like sleepys, mattress discounters, ect will negotiate on price--so don't pay asking price. I paid $1000 less than the asking price just by saying I really wanted a particular mattress but only had $2000 to spend. However, I don't think furniture stores or stores like Macy's will bargain.

I think the pics of the four poster bed look too busy in your room in front of the windows. But, it's hard to say if its because of the height of that bed and/or because your windows have 2 panels on each window plus the blinds down with all the horitzontal lines.

As far as matchy/matchy--that's personal preference.

good luck!

• busybee3
    13 years ago

totally agree with igloochic that curtains should be single panels drawn to either side!!

i like any the bed choices-no wrong choice!! poster bed is def 'airier'...(not so bulky looking)

• arcy_gw
    13 years ago

Chris11895 is that picture scaled for the king size bed? How much over lap on the windows is going to happen? I saw the pictures people posted from show rooms..but in real life? It would drive me nutty.

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think there will be 3-4 " over lap into the windows...

Another collection I am liking is Bernhardt's Vintage Patina (link below.) I think I like the poster bed... and you have the option to take away the canopy and just the half post if I wanted to. wdyt- too massive?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bernhardt's Vintage Patina

• suero
    13 years ago

I photoshopped the first pic of the bed in the room. I tried to scale it to its true size. It may be a tad larger than life, but not by much. That bed also is available without the canopy frame, with 4 high posts, high posts at the headboard and low posts at the footboard, and 4 low posts.

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks suero for your photo shopping skills :) I do not care for the canopy.. especially in my room. So we would either do the 4 high posts or 4 low posts, for either bed.

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So check out this link (below)#34. I think this bedroom is lovely. And it could be that the bed covers the windows a tad... but you cannot tell because of the panels. Thoughts? I am not opposed to using just one panel... I'm just looking at all options.

On an unrelated note- I have a question about this forum. I'm a huge fan of message boards and usually try to "lurk" so I can get a feel for the format and the posting. And I cannot figure this one out. I've got a huge thread started... and the original bedroom set that I posted is totally OFF the table. SO- is it better to keep this thread going or should I start a new one? Thanks so much for all of your help. I am *so* looking forward to creating a luxurious and calming master bedroom.

(eek- it's not letting my link directly to the pic. #34 is the look I am loving.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Beautiful bedroom

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    13 years ago

okay to make it easier- here are 2 looks I really love. I realy love the first one.

• lyfia
    13 years ago

I think you're heading in the right direction. I don't think covering the window a few inches on each side is a big deal.

One thing that jumped out at me though was saying you're wanting to add recessed lights in the bedroom. What is the reason for this? Do you need that much light? I tend to look at those as adding them where you need a lot of light spread out such as in a kitchen. Doesn't seem like a feature you'd want in a bedroom.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

The four poster is beautiful but what sets it off in that room is the light background colors surrounding it.

Do you think you'll grow tired of a four poster? Someone could chime in here who's had a four poster for a LONG time, but they seem too lightweight and may get wobbly over time. That's why I suggest a heavy, solid wood bed and it doesn't have to have a high headboard if you want it to last forever.

Another thought, to make the furniture lines look "cleaner" next to the windows, have you considered wood shutters?

We have a large double window in the LR and it has Plantation shutters with a seating area in front of it. The seating area would look messy or off if there were curtains on the window.

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Currently, the only lighting we have is a big bulb light on our ceiling fan (I know... I know... the horror of a ceiling fan :) But it's a must. We live in San Antonio.) And then the two lamps.
    I think I would like a new ceiling fan without a light and then add 4-6 recessed lights on dimmers.. my parents actually have this and I think it looks nice.

• avesmor
    13 years ago

Believe it or not, decent looking ceiling fans exist. On every design show I've ever seen they're the first things to be thrown out, but I have them in every bedroom. Mmm slight draft at night without the sound of floor fan... I pspent no fewer than 18 weeks looking (off and on) for a "pretty" one to go in my master.

I have lived with a 4 poster bed. My experience - unless you have really high ceilings, and I'm talking like 10 ft, and a sizeable room, it will turn your space into... tiny. Once upon a time in a previous life I thought I had a big bedroom until I put a poster bed in there.

I like your computer nook. I always wanted a space like that, which I could separate from the rest of the room with some romantic drapery tied back. I might force that idea on my formal dining room. :)

beds/headboards coverin ga window do bother me. I don't like anything to cover a window (couch, table, or otherwise) -- but that's just me. And if it came down to a queen bed, or covering that window, sure - the window would get covered!

We have single panels on our two bedroom windows, mostly because they're skinny and it looked silly to me to have two panels.

If you need to cover the window, something that seems to help (at least when I've seen it done) is to pull the bed away from the wall a foot or so. Then you can go with two panels, and it looks kind of intentional instead of "didn't have space."

Something else to keep in mind with blocking windows -- does the sun come directly in such that it would fade your bedding over time?

• tuesday_2008
    13 years ago

Here's my two cents worth: Don't let anyone talk you out of a king bed - I can sense how much you want one. DH and I have slept in a king for 40 years - can't even stand a queen! Plus, there was always room for a kid or grandkid!

The bed will look fine extending in front of the windows if you will stay with a more low profile bed. Forget the massive headboard, canopies and tall 4 posters. The Pottery Barn one posted by Chris would be perfect - it gives you modest posts, yet style, but tapers down on the sides to "show" the windows.

I also agree with one panel per window, draped to the side. I would also try a sheer under each panel to provide a soft "backdrop" to the portion of the bed that extends across the window and the nightstands. If you need blinds for privacy (which is obvious) you might try a monochromatic window treatment with roller blinds, sheers, and one panel - make the window very neutral. Maybe I am loosing it, but I know I have seen this look somewhere - has anyone else??

I also understand about needing dressers and chests for storage. With that much furniture in the room, drawer space will allow less clutter.

Don't give up on the KING bed!

Tuesday

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz