Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skyangel23_gw

help with door color, style, and hardware (painted black doors)

Skyangel23
10 years ago

Hi,
I am relatively new to GardenWeb, and this is my first time on this forum. While I am reading through the great posts, I need some advice. I did cross-post in building a home, and I hope that's not a problem. I really need the help!

We are building a home in Florida that is a typical builder grade home, nothing special or fancy, though we were blessed to purchase a wooded two acre lot that we love.

I was thinking about cheyanne two panel plank doors with oil rubbed bronze levers, as well as three sets of french doors: entry, dining room, and a small pair for the pantry.

Then while searching Houzz, I found black painted doors. And I LOVE them.

My questions are:
1) Do I have to do all my doors in black, or can I do only a few--such as all the french doors, or only the four doors in a long hallway? I am a little hesitant to commit 100% to something so huge

2) I feel there won't be enough contrast with ORB and black. I think brushed nickel levers would look really nice. But if all doors are not the same color, will it look really bad to also have different hardware? If I want to do even a few doors in black, should I do all the doors in the brushed nickel hardware?

3)Do the two panel plank doors and french/glass lite doors go together? The plank door has an arch while the glass doors are square. We do have a couple of arches in the house and on the front windows. I could do plain two panel, or keep the plank look but have the tops squared off instead of arched.

I also love ORB lighting fixtures and I like them for the bathrooms also, but could do brushed nickel as well. I like the modern country style, I guess: white shaker cabinets, walnut pecan stained wood floors, taupe walls, natural fabrics and materials (cotton, wicker, ect.). Actually I really like shabby chic/farmhouse/ french country styles, but going too far that direction really would not work with the typical Florida stucco house. I am trying to find my own style within the constraints of budget and the design of the house, but I don't want to do anything that would clash/look bad.

Our house, but a different color and front door has mullions/grilles:

Comments (12)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

It would be helpful for you to post photos of the door styles. But, generally, I would say you can mix them as long as there is a logic. Eg public spaces vs private spaces. I would not, however, mix door hardware in a new house.

Congrats!

• Jules
    10 years ago

My vote is that if you paint one interior door black, paint all interior doors black. Unless it's one "stand out" piece like a barn door.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. But black in Florida? The bronze hardware looks great on creamy white doors too.

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are an hour from the coast, so no one here decorates coastal or anything that screams "Florida". I wouldn't say inland Florida's houses are too unique other than the stucco one story in various shades of beige is dominant. Actually Florida is dominated by builder grade tract homes with interiors of beige on beige. Our area especially was besieged by investor builders intent on making their millions in the mid-2000s. And it's happening again. So I don't want it too look like every other interchangeable house around here.

I really like the bronze hardware with creamy white as well.
    But those black doors (I would do a softer brown-based black, not stark black) have a serious "wow" factor and would be very unique (for our area).

• theclose
    10 years ago

I, too, love, love painted black doors!! Due to the colors in our home, we ended up doing dark brown/black doors (Pratt & Lambert Obsidian). I love it, although I still wish I had black doors. One day, when we are repainting the house, I will choose colors that go with black!

So, to your question. I would do all the same hardware, whether ORB or brushed nickel, etc. I also would do all doors the same color. I went through the same process - thinking only the first floor with brown doors but I was convinced by a colorist to treat all interior doors with the same color treatment so all the doors are brown. I don't regret it for a minute! I really love the look.

Here are a few pics - all hardware is brass, as that is what was here. I love the color but I am not crazy about the style. One day we will change them out.

French doors:

My den:

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mamorella,
    Love your doors. Have you thought about painting your door hardware? I've seen several blogs where they used Rust-Oleum spray paint to change a metal finish.

So all doors same color. Now, do you think the cheyenne two panel plank (bead board style) doors will go with the french doors? Or at least not clash and not look weird. I could square off the top of the cheyenne door instead of the arch, but the arch seems to be more popular. Or just do a plain two panel, though I thought the cheyenne added a bit of that country cottage look.

This post was edited by Skyangel23 on Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 12:14

• theclose
    10 years ago

Sky, i like the color/finish, i just don't like the style of the hardware. In my dreams, I will replace all the hardware with antique glass/crystal knobs. But these will do for now! I priced out knobs and wow, expensive. Then some might have to be retrofitted for new doors. Another expensive thing. Ugh. Homeownership.

I think the Cheyenne will look fine with the French doors. To me, French doors go with anything. But some might feel differently.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

I like the black doors a lot.

Just a note on the hardware. We recently moved to a 1987 home with yucky worn out brass fixtures. Day 1 we wanted to change the locks, so this meant picking a new front door hardware set. We were at Lowe's and trying to decide between ORB and satin nickel. The salesperson told us that the ORB is an orangey bronze tone finish under the blackened finish, and that over time the black wears away exposing more of the bronze. And that this is not considered a manufacturing defect, and is to be expected. Apparently they have had people try to return the ORB saying the finish had worn off. I mention this to you so you can consider if you would like the ORB in the range of shades it may end up, or if you would prefer the uniformity of the satin nickel. No right or wrong, just different.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

My orb front door set lasted about 5 years before it began to rub off. It is an orange something underneath. Buying a set of orb might require some discussion with a lock smith on better manufacturers.

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

juliekcmo and technicolor,
    Thanks for the information. Good to know. It would be the builder's upgrade to orb, so I imagine it would not be top of the line. :-) Another reason to switch to brushed nickel for all door hardware. Thanks!

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I have 'black door envy'! I think all the doors should be done to stay with the uniformity of the home. Hardware like any home decor item is so personal~I have ORB and love it. My trim/doors are a 'coffee w/cream color', 3 shades darker than the walls. I've debated on black doors for the last couple of years, and think the ORB would be what I would have chosen from the onset. I find it to have a European/Victorian/old world look that I absolutely love.