Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
will carpet tape ruin hardwood floors?

Posted by lnaramore (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 08 at 8:31

Hi there. I have some new jute/wool area rugs to lay and the corners are curling like crazy. I have laid heavy books across the curling ends for two weeks but no help. They are on grippy floor pads but they just roll that up too.

I went to get carpet tape but the guy in the store (a local kid) said the glue on the tape would ruin the wood floor underneath.

Hmm. Any recommendations on what will solve my curling problem without damaging my wood floor underneath? Or is there a glue remover when I do want to move the rugs that will take the tape up? Should I steam the edges? Other thoughts?

Thanks.
Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: will carpet tape ruin hardwood floors?

I wouldn't do it - because you wouldn't KNOW if it damaged your floors until you tried to take off the tape!
There was a thread yesterday and someone said they took a vinyl stick-um tile and glued that on the underside of the carpet at the corners and now the carpet is laying flat.
They may have said they cut it in half to diagonally first.

o

Hi Laura,
I use rug tape under the rug in front of our kitchen sink on the hardwood floor and have for years. No damage! I got the tape at Linens and Things and it's a roll of yellow net looking stuff and I just put it on the four corners. Rug stays put, floor stays dry. I change the tape whenever I wash the rug, and thought I have had to rub a bit of residue from the floor there's been no damage.

o

Oh, please don't put carpet tape on your wood floors!

I have only one rug that I have to keep in place, right at the front door, and I use the stuff sasafras refers to. So far so good, it has not harmed the wood. (If it did, DH would be really PO'd at me after all his hard install work!)

o

I don't know but just wouldn't do it. There could also be subtle differences in flooring finishes and tape mfrs that maybe would get by ok at one person's house and not yours.

o

Thanks guys! I'm going to linens and things to check out that tape - -it sounds different than what I picked up at the hardware store. Of course, I'll walk out with $250 of other stuff I didn't need....LOL

Does anybody think steaming would relax the fibers? Or some other treatment?

Thanks!
Laura

o

Some steam might help. Maybe roll them in reverse and put them in a steamed up bathroom overnight.

o

Those grippy rug pads -- aren't those synthetics bad for floor finishes? You might also try one of the heavier fiber pads, or whatever is appropriate, and then tape the rug to that instead of the floor. The ones I've seen are maybe 1/4" thick.

o

I too have used the adhesive backed linoleum floor tiles to keep rug corners down. A tiny investment.

All you need is two tiles cut diagonally but if the curl is severe you may want to use a whole tile for the added weight. Peel the paper off the back of the tile, stick the tile to the back of the rug just shy of the corner edges and you're done.

I did this to a rug probably 15 years ago and it is still working fine.

Jodi-

o

Did you reverse roll it when you put the books on top?

I would try that if you didn't.

Smiles:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here