Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

New eBay find leads to new window treatments!

My3dogs ME zone 5A
14 years ago

I didn't HAVE to make new ones, but I wanted to. :-)

I won this vintage Frederick Cooper lamp on eBay a few weeks ago for the opening bid price of $55. The seller had not mentioned that it was a Cooper lamp in his title, but in small print in the auction. The shade is one I had here.

I wrote the F Cooper company, and they told me that the lamp was made in the 1990s for a show, and didn't go into their regular line, so it may be one-of-a-kind.

Since I am using blue accessories in the living room now,

{{!gwi}}

I wanted to make some WTs that have that color in them, but also go well with the rest of the pieces in the room. Long story, but I remember (thanks to an email from 'Chijim' of this board!) that I have some fabric I got very inexpensively on eBay years ago, and hadn't used!

I draped it over a rod in the LR Wed. PM, and really liked what I saw.

The fabric is 108" wide and heavy, so tough to work with on my 5 1/2 ft kitchen island, but I have made one panel, although it's not hemmed yet. I tried a new style for me - back tab panels - which look pleated, but are made by sewing tabs to the back of the top, rather than up from the top edge, as I didn't want tab tops. Could that 'found fabric' go any better with the colors in the room? Yippeee!

Comments (37)

• allison0704
    14 years ago

I love the pattern on your curtains. Great find on the lamp!

• jerseygirl_1
    14 years ago

Perfect. The fabric is beautiful.

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

Both the lamp and the fabric are gorgeous!!! I love seeing sneak peeks of your beautiful home!

• sameboat
    14 years ago

Oh wow - good eye! Very beautiful!

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Just beautiful! Of course, you're an experienced seamstress, but I'm wondering if the back tabs are something a novice can handle? How do you decide on spacing for the tabs? I have half of the taffeta fabric I want for my LR drapes, if I can find the rest I want to make panels and maybe then eventually valances.

Actually, I just had a thought - if you have a Job Lot up there, could you find the rest of the fabric for me (see my thread on this), and I can send you what I have with my measurements? How much would you charge to make 8 back-tab panels 92" long finished length? I would email you but you don't have your email on your GW page. Thanks

• ttodd
    14 years ago

You have such an amazing knack for mixing patterns!

• ewigginton
    14 years ago

Beautiful job! How lucky to find that wide fabric. The panel looks great in your room.

Ellen

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank-you, ladies,

I love mixing patterns so much that I don't even look for solid fabric. I wouldn't find it as inspiring to work with.
    NOT that there is anything wrong with solid fabrics at all; they just aren't me. In other's homes, they are beautiful.

ajsmama, We don't have Job Lots anywhere is this state. I'd never heard of them til I saw them mentioned on this board.

Yes, this treatment is very easy, and YOU CAN DO THEM. My only issue was the weight of my fabric, and I broke one needle, but put in a heavier one and I was all set. Careful measuring is key.

I looked for instructions online, and found them at the link below. They are from the UK, but give most of the measurements in inches as well as metric. The spacing is determined by the width of the panels you are making. I used 7" spacing for my finished 51" wide panels, although that is a bit closer that the 8" - 12" recommended in the instructions.

Here is a link that might be useful: back tab or hidden tab instructions

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

I thought Job Lot had stores in ME and NH as well as RI/CT/MA. Sorry - just thought maybe you could look for me (and if you could make the curtains I'd avoid at least *some* shipping if you got half the fabric!). Not sure it would be cost effective for me to ship all the fabric to you, but you are so talented, you really should consider taking custom orders!

• teacats
    14 years ago

Brillant find on the lamp! And just adore the fabric too!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• livvyandbella
    14 years ago

GORGEOUS! Lovely as usual. Love the new lamp, the room, the dogs.

• jejvtr
    14 years ago

My3
    LOVE that lamp! What a find & price, is it porcelain?

Oh yes, that fabric is lovely in your space - will make all that lovely collection of porcelain in the room - how about putting some of same fabric on the footstool/ottoman in front of fireplace?

Since you seem to be suffering from winter doldrums when you are done with that, please come over - spend a few days here. I could use your keen eye, sense of creativity and general decorating ideas. I just had my Janome serviced - she is good to go!

Best to you

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jejvtr,

That lamp is the heaviest, most beautiful quality porcelain I have ever put my hands on. Until you hold it, you'd never know the weight of it for its size. All F Cooper lamps are hand made, one by one, and it shows.

Doldrums? Not here! I work such long hours that I asked for yesterday off just so I could sew and hope to finish my treatments by the end of the day tomorrow. I need to make a valance for the back of the living room bay, using the same technique. I can't use panels there as the dogs enjoy jumping up and sitting in the bay window, so they'd have them ruined very quickly.

You mean cover this antique needlepoint and petit point foot stool that has all the colors of the drapery fabric in it? That's part of the fun - this fabric goes with EVERYTHING in the room, and I like to highlight that, by using many patterns. :-)

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Absolutely lovely fabric, my3dogs, and to think you had it hidden away!! I'm drooling over how great a match it will be to bring in all the colors of the room. I sure don't have anything that lovely hiding in my fabric cache...... Oh, and the lamp, of course, is awesome, and I'm glad it gave you such inspiration.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    14 years ago

I think the fabric is perfect. DoesnÂt it feel great to find a use for some of your fabric stash? :) I really like the style you chose too. The simple lines with the busy fabric is a wise choice. Shows off your rods too.

I sewed most of my window treatments, but that was some years back. I had never heard of a back tab before: maybe it is something new. Thanks for posting the instructionsÂthat was going to be my next question!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    14 years ago

Oohhh . . . very beautiful. And great job sewing that gorgeous fabric.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Before I get back to sewing - this is where I got that fabric for $2.00 a yard years ago!

Shipping is $7.00 for the first yard, and $1.00 for each additional. It was less when I bought mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Elements Outlet on eBay

• nicole__
    14 years ago

The fabric AND the lamp are simply GORGEOUS!! You've got "style"! I'm glad you posted your new Ebay find. I'd never head of Frederick Cooper lamps. Nice!

I would like your opinion on a chair. It's a goose neck, that I'd buy with the intention of recovering. I think it should have a camel back to it....a little arch to the top.....what do "you" think? Not enough style to it to make it worth my time? I could add a hump to it? It's about 50 miles from where I live....so I'm NOT all that anxious to just go look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Goose neck Chair ....? A BIG maybe...

• redbazel
    14 years ago

The lamp is really pretty but the real wow is the new window treatment. I've often wondered how it is that something I bought a few years before could suddenly be such a find and work with my new stuff, but I finally figured it out.......I am drawn to certain styles and colors and usually buy within that parameter. I guess you do too! It's looking wonderful!

Nicole: The chair is cool and would work in lots of rooms. It's not a hard-to-find style, so unless you love it/need it/can't stop thinking about it, don't drive so far to just look.

Red

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

*sigh*...love looking at your home!I loved the gold/red toile, but your new fabric is gorgeous~such a deal! The lamp is a perfect fit as well as a good find. Am looking froward to seeing the room when your little hands are finished sewing the new draperies. ;o)

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Wow! as always m3dogs. I am getting curious to take a walk through your storage areas just to see the other treasures. It must look like a storage room at the Smithsonian! I love the petit point stool.

• kathleenca
    14 years ago

Frederick Cooper lamps are lovely, & quality. You have such a wonderful eye for colors & combining patterns. Wish we could clone it.

Congratulations, m3! Thanks for sharing.

• les917
    14 years ago

The lamp is very nice! Great price, a steal for what you got.

I love the fabric. A nice change from the heavier feel of the red/gold.

You have a great eye for mixing patterns. Lots of people think you can just throw anything together, but that is not true. Congrats on a lovely space.

• Arapaho-Rd
    14 years ago

The fabric itself is gorgeous and combined with the new lamp, well what can one say? Just beautiful! I love reading your posts and seeing the pics you take of your home. I am an avid reading of this forum, may not post much but certainly enjoy everyone's contributions. My3dogs, you could run a little class for all of us in so many different things. I am amazed at your knack for ebay. I would love to take the plunge!

• begoniagirl
    14 years ago

I've said it before and I'll say it again....My3dogs, I love your taste in decor and the way you've arranged it in your home....and your little dogs too!! I'm also addicted to lamps, specifically lamp shades. Your new lamp find is beautiful and the window fabric is a perfect fit. Even better, you have a needlepoint stool!

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

Love your work as usual! If you ever want to quit your day job, I am entirely sure you could make your living as an ID. Just think . . .put together your finds from CL and e-bay (ones you don't want) and get an Etsy store together . . .I seriously think you would make it really big. Your "My Three Dogs" would be a perfect name, too! My 3 Dogs Designs . . .I can see it now!

• loribee
    14 years ago

Two wonderful new additions...can't wait to see the WT's completed!

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Congratulations on the lamp it is beautiful. Your fabric reminds me of the bumper sticker "The one that dies with the most Fabric wins!!!" Sometimes fabrics just hide in the archives until a perfect opportunity like yours comes along. What a great match it is to the lamp and your other decor. Looking great...very elegant.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow - you all are making me feel like I have a lot more Valentines this morning!

Red hit the name on the head, I realized. I buy things 'within a certain parameter', and that is why they work. I can swap things out from room to room, and they take on a new light when they are moved. I guess it says that I have 'flow', since I am able to do that. :-)

Cooperbailey, my mother jokingly calls me house 'the museum', as I do enjoy old things so much.

anele has almost discovered my secret business name! My 3 dogs DO participate in the production of anything I sew. When I used to lay fabric on the floor in here, you could count on 3 dog butts quickly gathering and weighting it down while I tried to match patterns, etc. And that was the previous generation of my 3 other Brittanys. Now that I cut on the kitchen island, all these can do is lay on the fabric as it drapes onto the floor from my lap as I sew, and believe me, they do. Among friends and family, I said I'd call it 'Dog Bottom Decor'! My 3 Dogs Designs is a MUCH nicer image.

Here is the front window this AM. I had to close the blinds to take a picture against the light outside. Since you all know that I am of the 'more is more' school, this is the front of my 10x25 living room, with my wonderful Romweber entertainment center purchased years ago on sale. I took a quick inventory this AM, and of all the 'stuff' in the room, that piece, 2 chairs and 3 lamps and 2 art pieces are the ONLY pieces not bought on CL, eBay or a local consignment shop.

I can't resist showing you the sweet toddler picture of my late Dad, who passed away 3 years ago today. My mother gave it to me recently, and I looked around and set it on the Chinoiserie desk, never dreaming that I'd soon make drapery panels that would compliment his outfit!

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Wow, you got those done quickly (after the 4 hrs planning)! They look great. I was thinking that the fabric really picked up the colors in the small lantern on the desk, but now that you've got the other panel up I can see that the blue is the same as your dad's jumper. What a sweet remembrance that is of him. Happy (bittersweet) Valentine's Day.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Yeah somehow I thought it would be great fun to look through the hidden parts of the museum,the thrill of the hunt.
    They look great!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just finished hanging the matching valance in the back bay window, where the dogs enjoy checking out the back yard. I couldn't use panels here due to them being in and out of that window all day long.

• ruthy1
    14 years ago

Love that little boy picture of your Father! Your Mother knew she could trust you with it, that you would treasure that picture & give it place of honor in your home. Well done with your latest additions to your home.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Did you use back tabs for the valance too? The pleats look so pretty.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, this is the same style as the front panels, with the tabs 7" apart. It's 19" long and 170" wide for that 64" wide window. The weight of the fabric allows the pleats to stay put once I arranged the the way I wanted.

Ruthy, doesn't he look like a little angel in that picture? From the stories he told us of his adventures as a young boy, he wasn't, but I do love that picture.

• Irish2
    14 years ago

Love the new window treatments! The lamp is a beauty.
    Thank you for sharing all your wonderful finds.

OT- We were in Portland the previous weekend and I
    had DH stop in Buxton @ The Mustard House...closed for
    inventory until April, but Pam & Christine let me in....
    did some fun shopping... lampshade,soap,candles,etc....
    great place!

• sue4993
    14 years ago

My3dogs,
    Hope you're watching the Westminster Dog Show; the Brittany won best of group so is vying for Best In Show. Good luck.

Love your dogs and your beautiful home.