Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

After a Few More Mishaps, The Brick Floor is Started!

User
10 years ago

Yesterday they scraped off all the tile from the basement entry and the bathroom floor...I was very happy as I prefer plain concrete to the ugly brown tile with the "decorative" edge of smalle brown and black harlequin pattern tiles that were there from a PO. The scraped off carpet glue and pieces of padding, thinset and pieces of wood from framed walls that no longer exist, and put down the first few rows of the brick in the larger back room.

Annoyingly, the GC had not told the floor sub that the corner cabinet was going to be demolished in favor of a new fireplace w/ built ins spanning the far left wall, so we are lucky they didn't get that far! (I find lack of communication to be the most serious fault in any and all systems, man made or natural or cosmic.)

The brick, which was run for us in Macon GA, was the wrong size, about an inch bigger than we ordered, but after playing with it for a few days I decided to keep it. I think it is going to be great!

And now for mortar color.... below are my top four choices. I am only interested in enhancing the look...picking a harmonious color. I don't care about cleaning ease, the floor will have two large rugs, one in each room, and the brick floors will probably be vacuumed once every two weeks with a vintage Eureka refurbished vacuum I bought specifically for this floor, it is all metal and presumably will not tear up on the brick. I am not planning to have this floor mopped more than four times a year--- less, if we can get away with it. When I said I wanted a "no care" floor, I meant it!

Option 1:

Option 2:

Option 3:

Option 4:

Which ones are your top two favorites?

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 8:54

Comments (40)

• bluestarrgallery
    10 years ago

that's going to be beautiful. what a good idea for a basement, what is the wood lying beside the brick? is that to keep a straight edge. Are you layiing the brick dry or are you putting thinset under it?

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes that wood is a guide for keeping the rows straight. The brick is tumbled so there will be no truly uniform grout lines, but at least the rows will be in line. This is set on a thinset bed, it is 1/2" thin brick that has been shaved off a regular paver.

Would you mind taking another look at the original post? I have added pictured with grout samples and am asking for opinions. Thanks for helping!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

My top choices are 1 & 4

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Annie, I am also leaning towards a buff rather than a gray. One of those is actually considered a gray.....I left off the names because I believe names are powerfully influential in color choice. And so often they are just plain wrong, lol, so I usually number my choices. By the time I have looked at an array of color choices (for anything) I have completely forgotten their names anyway :-)

• anitamo
    10 years ago

This is going to be stunning! Can't wait to see it finished. It must be my monitor, but I cannot see a difference in any of the grout colors, but from what I can see, #1 looks good.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

#4 for me, I envy you that beautiful flooring.

• User
    10 years ago

I'm confused as to how the brick is currently being installed without mortar at all? Dry laid for fit and then pulled up to do the mortar bed????

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

This is going to be gorgeous!

#4 to me appears too light. Since there is quite a bit of variation between the bricks, how will it look against the darker ones? I prefer #1

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I vote for #1. Your floor is going to look wonderful. If I weren't so lazy, I would love something like that in our lower level. You will be so happy once it is finished!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Holly, the brick is being laid on a mortar bed, but since it is horizontal the mortar between the bricks will have to be put in by "piping" it between the joints from a pastry bag and then tuck pointing it into place. Very labor intensive.

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 10:59

• ghostlyvision
    10 years ago

#1 or #4 for me, and what a great looking floor that's going to be!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I agree #1 and #4 look best on my monitor.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I vote for #1..... Not too light, not too dark and a nice, warm, taupe tone that will allow the brick, not the grout lines, to stand out. That floor is going to be gorgeous!

• busybee3
    10 years ago

love the brick!!
    1 and 4 look best to me too, and would also choose 1 since it's darker.

• Miz_M
    10 years ago

I love the brick! Another vote for #1.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, #1 is my favorite, too so far. I am looking at a light latte color or light khaki for walls with antique white trim. On a house the grout looks best matched to the trim color, but in this case I think a closer association with the wall color rather than the trim would be good. Waiting to hear from ID re wall colors and fabrics, very exciting!!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

1 and 4, in that order. I love brick with lime, it is going to be TDF

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

#1 gets my vote.

The brick is going to look fabulous!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heard from ID who likes #1 as well, so we are going with that!
    He also has instructions to extend a bump in the wall of 7" x 5'6" back another six feet so the jog in that wall starts where the jog in the parallel wall does. I oppose that on principle as it means we lose 3.5 square feet in the room, but he said we need to do it to clean up the proportions of the room and I have learned to trust him...he is all about proportion.

He also said a sectional will NOT work and wants to go a little more modern with this sofa (in a fabric tbd):

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 14:31

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here it is in a slightly different iteration in a different color:
    adding, if we are not doing coveralls this may have to be in a Sunbrella fabric!

This post was edited by kswl on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 14:53

• bluestarrgallery
    10 years ago

most of the bricks are lighter so I'd pick the lightest grout color that blends.

I think three cushion sofas sit better than two cushions especially if there are more than two sitting on it.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If this is the choice it will be a three seater, I posted the second photo for color only.

• Irish2
    10 years ago

Gorgeous flooring...my pick for grout was #1 which I see has already been
    chosen. LOVE the three cushion sofa in both colorways!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, if the road to you-know-where is paved with good intentions, the road to disaster is ridden on a white sofa without slipcovers. My three little monster dogs, DH, college student and frequently visiting older kids would destroy a white sofa.... I think they are worse now than when they were little!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

My pick is #1. My favorite by far!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Never mind....I see you already decided on the mortar.

Yes to a three cushion or even a bench seat cushion. DH had to have the sofa we ended up with and it is a two cushion. Guess where he always sits? Right smack dab in the center of the sofa. His crack is on it's crack.....Drives me insane, or should I say more insane?

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I'm liking #1 too.
    What a great floor.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

I was voting for #1 also. The floor is going to be fabulous. Agree about going with 3 cushions on the sofa. For some reason only 2 people will ever want to sit on it otherwise.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And today's update.....they are flying through this part, it's the grouting I'm afraid will take a bit longer. It is coming along!

That corner cupboard will be gone and across that far left wall will be the fireplace with shallow built ins on either side for DVDs. We will have two sofas facing each other (perpendicular to movie screen) and the built-ins will extend out on each end as an end table for those ends of the sofas. Spoke to ID today, he is really happy with plan and is overnighting it to me for approval before built ins are drawn up for cabinet guy. I am excited!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

It is gorgeous!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I am loving it!

• Debbie Downer
    10 years ago

How are the bricks attached to the concrete?

Sorry if you've already said & Im just not seeing it. This could have patio applications!!!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bricks set in mortar bed and grout to be tuck pointed in joints.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the bathroom:

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And a better view of the end of the room. Corner unit will be gone, new one to extend width of that far wall to left of current FP:

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Just checking in and saw the bathroom picture - thud! Just gorgeous close-up. What fun you must be having watching the progress.

Thank you for posting your basement organization/storage pictures (the ones where your basement almost looks like a basement). Best, oldbat2be

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

So cool!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! And you're welcome, old bat :-)

The vanity is going to be painted red and the new counter will be a griege color about the same as the grout pick.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I have always loved brick floors! These are gorgeous! Congrats! I bet you are over the moon with how this room is turning out! Cannot wait for more pics with updates.

• theclose
    10 years ago

Wow. Just wow. That floor is beautiful. I can't wait to see it all done! I am sure you can't either.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!