Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

PR window treatments

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

I am on a WT kick! I have a powder room on a ground floor. It does not have WT. Logistically it would be very hard for someone to look in the windows, but I think guests still find it odd to not have WT.

I want to order something now because I am hosting an event in early May. The do not need to provide total privacy.

I do not have great photos of the windows/room, but here you go. I'd like opinions on the style you would use. I am thinking inside mount, maybe soft roman?

{{!gwi}}

The windows

Comments (78)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

The lace won't get lost, as the light from the window will make them show, but it may be too refined for the look you want. Then the gauze would be the way to go...rustic but more see thru than burlap and with a better hand. Or even almost a cheese cloth. If you do an inside mount, you can hide the modern bits....security and cranks and levers and keep the lovely woodwork showing. You might want to consider something even more casual for mounting the curtains, like stringing them on twine instead of a rod if you really want the potting shed look. Or do ties hanging off of antique nails instead of a rod. And rather than hem the gauze, just unravel to make a self-fringe.

Or you could skip fabric entirely, mount small shelves and cover the bottom of the window with blue or green bottles...it would look very antique and potting shed. Probably need to secure them with museum putty so no one accidentally knocks them over. (Of course I'm a nut for blue glass....)

• jerseygirl_1
    10 years ago

I hung pleated sheers in my masterbath inside mounted with a custom sized café rod from Rejuventaion. Rejuvenation has wonderful café rods. Mine are hung half way down but I can see them working for your powder room. Had them made at Calico Corner during one of their sales.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

I still like Annie's simple gauze curtain with the buttons best of all. But those bottles kind of look really cool. Maybe you could put a few behind the gauzy curtain if you wanted to bring some colored light into the room.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I like it without a window treatment. Seems more appropriate to the overall potting shed look.

Haven't guests been using it like that for years? Why are the May guests a concern?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HH,

Well, I do too. I am totally anti window treatment, although I have softened some reading through Annie's treatise, and especially the wonderful Cote De Texas link on the subject.

We have 2 powder rooms and I notice people prefer the other one (which has a huge round window and no WT either, but it is more obvious that no one can see in). There is a stone path that goes by the windows in this PR, but not near enough to see IN the windows, but you would see someone standing (DH pointed this out).

We've been in the house 3yrs and added this PR. I think having a large party always gets you thinking about things you might need/want to do, and hence the May deadline just flows from that, KWIM? For example, I hate noisy fans and so I specifically excluded them except in those bathrooms with showers. I belatedly realize my mistake -- people want fans to drown out noise, duh -- and I either need a Japanese musical toilet or to install a fan.

Annie et all, love the bottles. Truth is, I am headed to Calico today and not coming home until I order something!

• shadylady2u
    10 years ago

I have an inside working Roman in my PR. Same short window. Looks really nice, I think. You could use a sheer or semi-sheer if you don't need privacy.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Shadylady, that was actually what i was thinking of at first!

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

I am thinking a curtain rod running horizontal against the vertical mullions would bother me. JMO

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG, Arapaho ... that is a very good point! It would bother me too. Actually, the more I look at these windows the less I like them!

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Lightweight fabric, tension rod top and bottom. The window can be raised as much/little as possible by simply raising the bottom tension rod. The fabric can be gathered as much/little as you like. If it's simply to make your guests feel comfortable, a sheer fabric gathered lightly will be enough, maybe a lightweight gauze.

I personally don't care for short cafe styles that 'just hang there'. Being secured on the top/bottom looks neater, as well as getting shut in the window. ;)

• User
    10 years ago

How about a gauzy panel hanging straight down from the inside top edge of the window with one corner-- say the left lower corner--- pulled up towards the center of the panel and buttoned there with a wood or horn button?

• Arapaho-Rd
    10 years ago

I like the windows! If you don't want something stationary, maybe an inside-mount roller shade? Possibly in a neutral ticking stripe?

• theresa2
    10 years ago

I love the lace idea or cotton semi-sheer. Inside mounted on a spring tension rod.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Sailcloth? I veto lace. It won't go with a backpack :)

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

I liked the tea towel idea -- put a hook on each of the window upper corners, grommets in the linen. Could be left hanging from one hook, but guests could "close up" if more privacy is desired. Maybe too rustic?

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I might do something like this (maybe not this pattern) on the lower part of the window

or the right side of this pic:

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The more I studied these windows, the more I thought the molding on them was too overpowering for the glass. So I want an outside-mount soft roman shade to help cover the trim. I will hang them above the top of the frame to add a little height, and keep the glass open most of the time.

DH thinks the sheers and laces I brought home are old-ladyish. They can be. If I had the time and inclination to be more clever here, I would love to use horn buttons in some way. But for now, I found two fabrics that I like, both quite cheap. They are both trendy but since they are cheap, who cares!

Ultra-trendy, close up.
    {{!gwi}}

Picks up the blue in my toilet tank, LOL!
    {{!gwi}}

I think I will go with this, although all I can think of is Portlandia. Clearly this is Threeapples fault. I think I was so envious of the cranberry velvet sofa, that I needed a bit of cranberry. The birds have cranberry breasts.

PS SueB, I forgot, I do have a mirror. The woman who works for us to help with the kids and dinner collects antiques. She said she had the perfect old mirror for me. I leave it propped up on the counter. It was not in the old photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ive posted it before, but I still think it's spot on!

• User
    10 years ago

Whoa, I see they have not improved television in the 15 years since we had it....if that's satire I want MAD magazine back, lol.

I like the bird fabric. Unless it is linked, associated with, or in any way tainted by, that tv clip ;-)

This post was edited by kswl on Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 21:55

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

The thing is, the roman blinds won't help you with day time privacy vs. a gauze which will. And those fabrics, while lovely, don't say "potting shed" to me.

Sorry but I've got my mind onto the pretty gauze with a button tab top with inside mount. You'll keep the lovely wood trim showing and hide the modern bits and the vertical muntin...

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 7:51

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Annie,

Oh now, those are lovely! Maybe for my kitchen in Maine?

The thing is, you are showing them on a much nicer window. My windows are squat and have bad proportions, unattractive muntin layout, and too much trim. Gauzy WT would be great on most of my windows, but here I think we need more coverage. You are showing bikinis and my window needs a tanksuit with a skirt! The gauze does not have enough weight for the visual weight of the window, IMHO. Plus a bit of color (yes,color) would not hurt.

See how the gauze gets lost here?

As for privacy, i don't actually think people need it, but if they feel they do they can now do something about it.

You are right that the fabric is not quintessential potting shed. However, for expediency, I confined myself to CC for fabric. I just didn't care for the few linen-y burlap-y towelling type fabrics they had.

But look, AD, you have me on a kick! I am ordering gauzy soft romans for my bathtub alcove, and looking at some panels for the DR.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

I can't explain it, it is nothing like I would normally select but I like this fabric in the natural & mist. http://www.hawthornethreads.com/fabric/designer/alexander_henry_house_designer/ghastlies/a_ghastlie_web_in_natural

• zen4d
    10 years ago

I'm with Annie on this one. The Andrew Wyeth picture did it for me (strong and yet feminine), and you seem to have the perfect space for that look. I get the feeling of something soothing, rugged yet romantic, masculine yet feminine, the traveler who has come home. I like that simple sheer or a clean lace or gauze - (either gauze posted by Annie.) While your fabrics work - they definitely do - I think they may look too trendy (PB/Ballard) and/or stagey IMHO and take away from the original feel of the space. That Andrew Wyeth look is not "old ladyish" - it's rugged, strong, and freeing - even with the trim the windows now have.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Mtnrd, Let me take you to Osgood some time!
    :)

I see what you're saying about the linen you picked up...it is not interesting enough...I think, despite the embroidery, it isn't textured enough, sheer enough, plus it's not a good color for the walls...

Gauze does come in colors including blue similar to your tank.

This hand-dyed stuff from etsy looks great as it has a mottled appearance.

Or you can add trim and such as in the button tab above so it adds some color and interest to the white.

You could also do a relaxed roman out of a sheer...maybe one that has some color or a vertical stripe to add height. I'm thinking a regular roman out of the fabrics you're looking at will be more formal than the look you are going for.

Or you can think about a tie up roman with a colored or contrast tie to add interest...probably in the blue or the brown....not the red like this one, but this is just for the idea.

Just let me know when you want me to quit, or I'll just keep throwing ideas at you....
    ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Hand dyed cotton gauze

• sweet_tea_
    10 years ago

What about something more rustic, such as burlap. You'd still get the light filtration coming through, as with the linen and lace, but it would be more in character with a potting shed.

Here is a link that might be useful: [burlap cafe curtains[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-kitchen-eclectic-kitchen-charleston-phvw-vp~211346)

• sweet_tea_
    10 years ago

And here is another without the black border and ties.

Sorry I don't know how to embed pictures. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: burlap cafe curtains 2

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh (insert expletive)! You guys are right, totally right. I put a lot of thought into creating what i think is an interesting and unusual room, and now am feeling lazy and impulsive so I am choosing a very nice, but not terribly creative, solution.

I use burlap for tree skirts but isn't it very hard to find burlap that is not malodorous? Annie who on etsy had that fabulous linen. I think id like to use that somewhere!

I have to think about this --- I was about to order it today --- because OTOH I really like the cheeriness and colorfulness of the fabric. Everything else people are showing me is totally my normal aesthetic here in my CT home. Very muted palette, no patterns, lots of interesting textures, patinas. Maybe partly I am going "to the birds" because I have gotten tired of my own shtick!

PS Annie, we should do a trip to Osgood. I know it's lazy to stick to CC for this project, but to be honest I don't like going to the DnD or even Lillian August and spending a day looking through books.

And I am pretty sure I am doing WT in my MBR here in CT and maybe the DR if I can figure out how to keep my window wall and where to fit stuff within the beams.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh no, eandhl ... i know what you mean! It's perfect because IRL you have expect to find them there!

You guys are killing me.

Oh shoot I feel bad about the CC salespeople now. They are going to think I am homeless and never actually buy anything but samples, I have gotten so many and only ever pulled the trigger on a bench cushion and the roman shade for the breakfast room!

• zen4d
    10 years ago

Have you tried Artee Fabrics on Post Road?

• eandhl
    10 years ago

Mtn, It looks like it would fit in your PR, which I love.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Mtnrd, the link to the etsy gauze is at the bottom of that 11:55 post.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

zen4d, I didn't know about them...I'm definitely making a trip there! Thanks!

• User
    10 years ago

An interesting tea towel that buttons up from the bottom? This one buttons up from the bottom edge once and then from that fold buttons up again. Directions for this are on Martha Stewart, but the picture is really self explanatory. If you have the buttons and the right sized tea towel, you're in business. This one is backed with a nice stripe, maybe you could use a pretty pattern on the reverse that shows when it is buttoned up.

This post was edited by kswl on Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 14:49

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Way cute, but I don't think the proportions work as well with a 24" window. The more time I spend on this I am about to buy new windows, LOL. I think they were supposed to be clerestory but the architect made them too big IMHO

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

This would be cool and would work well with the wider/shorter windows you have.

You could do this as an asymmetric treatment on each of the 2 windows which would help unite them.

I'm normally not a fan of the center cinch, but in your case it might work...esp if it is tied near the sill and hangs long beyond it...or esp if it is not tied so it hangs tight, but has more of a casual balloon to it...then you can play with the tie...rope, twine, raffia, all kinds of things.

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Rockford Interior Designers & Decorators Green Apple Design

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

Check out pages 1, 2, and 14 of the linked slideshow. (1 and 2 show the treatments closed, 14 shows them open) You could leave them open.

Here is a link that might be useful: temporary window treatments HB June 2011

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I was looking for something else, and came across this pic with a window that looks very similar to yours and shows you what an inside mount would look like.

[Eclectic Basement[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-basement-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_747~s_2104) by Portland Interior Designers & Decorators Garrison Hullinger Interior Design Inc.

• joyce_6333
    10 years ago

Thought I'd toss in another idea. Our last home was a 100 yr old 6500 sq ft Arts and Crafts. Quite grand, at one time, but was a wreck when we purchased it. And after putting over $400,000 into it, we sold it. Anyway, the PR on the main level had a small window similar in size to yours, and had textured glass to obscure the view, but still allowed light. This picture was taken when we purchased the house, just to give you an idea of how bad the house was when we took possession. Sorry for the poor quality of the picture, but it's the only one I have.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I still like the rustic gauze idea. And agree with you regarding the width of the window trim. Crossing over the wide flat trim. You could test this on the cheap by buying gauze in the paint area or a medical supply. Don't tell anyone I suggested this.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, here's where I am, thanks to everyone's help.

I really like the style posted by Sweet-tea. I think its simplicity and airiness work well (below).

I love the blue linen Annie posted from Etsy and have contacted the vendor for color samples.

And i love, perhaps most of all, those abalone buttons. I need to find a good source for those, decide on a size, and decide how to put them since I don't want tabs and prefer rings. Ideas on where to place buttons on a curtain that looks like this? I think they need to look as though they could conceivably perform a function.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie et al,

Thanks so much for making me put the effort into something really unique and befitting the room!

It has taken a while ... first ordering samples of the custom dyed fabric to choose color. Then waiting for the fabric, then finding the right type and size buttons, not to mention picking a design. I do not like tabs very much, and the fabric is too fine for that anyway. I am actually having the tabs made from burlap twine instead.

Here is just a sneak peak. It will look like the middle button and tab,but in a lighter grey abalone than the last button. The woman who works for our family is actually sewing them for me (she is an artist by training and very talented at such things). I should have them up this week.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

How fun! So glad it's working out.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just realized, posting about WT in another room, I don't think I ever posted the finished (actually rustic, unfinished) product for our Mudroom Powderroom.

The lighting here is bad (the color is better shown right above), but here you go:

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Nice!!!

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

They look great! I struggle with liking WTs also. In general, I don't like them, but our small neighborhood house needs them on quite a few windows. And DH really wants them covered.

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

Very nice. I love the raw edge, and the buttons, simple and slightly rustic!

And I have to tell you, I am obsessed with your sink. And not in a good way, I've carried a picture of your sink in my purse for months- since you first posted the thread! We're currently building and I have been searching everywhere for a similar sink to no avail. So depressed⦠I will eventually find an antique earthen clay sink, but for now I had to settle with a pedestal.

Anyway, I love itâ¦.

• Jbrig
    9 years ago

Oh, that is a perfect fit w/ the rest of the room. Love it.

Lol @ sweet-tea ;-)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Jbrig, I think so too.

Sweet-tea, that is so cute. It is so nice to find a kindred spirit, since I am sure some people think I am crazy. I just love this sink, and I have been into old sinks for a few years. I bought several for this house and then a bunch more for a house we just did in Maine.

I love the thick rolled edge of this, and I don't know if you can tell, but it is crazed; which I love even more. Some pics of it before install below. Sink p0rn, if you will.

This particular sink, and several more unique ones came from a dealer in Exeter, NH (link below). I was there almost exactly a year ago getting old sinks and a tub and doors for Maine, and he had another unusual sink there, a bit like this one. He got it from somewhere in Iowa and it was already sold. Anyway, I have no idea where you are but he is a good source and he has reasonable shipping contacts all over. Be forewarned, you need a creative and open minded plumber sometimes.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Good source for antique salvage, incl sinks

• amykath
    9 years ago

I am in LOVE with your bathroom!!! It is perfect and warm and so organic. What a beautiful choice for your windows.

I would linger in there well after having used the facilities! lol

• sweet_tea_
    9 years ago

Oh be still my heartâ¦.it's gorgeous. Thanks for the link! I will definitely check that out. I'm in the South, so I'd have to check on shipping. I'm so smitten with those thick rolled edges and the crazingâ¦.

My plumber is already giving me a hard time about the antique claw foot tub. :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, tell him to man up!

Just wait till you bring him a railroad sink! LOL

Shipping is usually a real issue, but I recall an offhand discussion with this guy about the piece from Iowa. He waited a while to get it because of the shipping arrangements he has. I don't recall the specifics but I think he sort of waits until some network of guys he knows are going in the vicinity. Otherwise the shipping and crating can be prohibitive.