Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yodajo

Can you suggest a green paint for this family room?

yodajo
15 years ago

I painted our family room SW Camelback a few months ago and I don't think its the right color for the room. It kind of blends into the furniture too much and is too similar to what I am going to paint the adjacent kitchen. So, I was thinking of going green in here and would love to hear any suggestions you may have. I have been using Sherwin Williams, but their is a Benjamin Moore a mile from my house, plus Lowe's and HD, so brand doesn't matter. I was thinking of a darker green, but I'm open to suggestions. Also, I painted the ceiling a tan color, but it looks plain white. Any suggestions for a ceiling color to go with the green that will actually show up?

Here's the room. Please ignore the lack of personality in here. We moved not too long ago and I have been very slow to get anything up on the walls or mantle.

Here's the ceiling. My husband put decorative tiles up there, but they barely show. He still needs to put the trim back up.

Comments (24)

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

I'm trying to peek at your rug but there's not enough showing in your picture. Does the rug have some green in it? If so, I'd look at that green, and perhaps the green in the trees in the painting over the sofa, and work from that. I'm a big fan of BM Cheyenne Green, which I have in my kitchen and family room.

• mom2sethc
    15 years ago

Hello,

I love this green and we have gotten compliments on it from all who have entered our home. It is SW Bamboo Shoot, it is a nice medium green, I'd say it is a yellowish green. I have it next to SW White Raisin and SW Steely Gray.

Here it is in our bedroom:
    {{gwi:1543519}}

and

In the kitchen, during construction:
    {{!gwi}}

and

The coordinating SW White Raisin:
    {{!gwi}}

Elaine

• haley_comet
    15 years ago

Mom2seth - You sure picked a beautiful green with that Bamboo Shoot. I love it!

Maxsam - have you seen the Green color thread? It is super helpful as a guide for a color choice.

There are so many beautiful greens I am sure you will pick a really nice one.

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

Mom2sethc...I absolutely adore your Bamboo Shoot! It looks fabu with the orange undertones of your furniture & cabinetry.

We also have Camelback in our den and chose Sassy Green for the adjoining sunroom. It's such a fun color, but could easily overwhelm a space. The kitchen/breakfast area is one shade up on the same card....Hearts of Palm. Here are a couple of pics.

• saltnpeppa
    15 years ago

You have a very nice room!

I see alot of gray tones in your fireplace....maybe that is why you are not happy with the camelback? My inexperienced eye (!) would look for a green with gray undertones or a green that is mixed with some black.

But I love green:) I think it would look very nice in your room.

I can't offer certain colors for you, sorry. But maybe some of our paint experts can.

Smiles:)

• yodajo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the replies so far!

mom2seth-I agree, the bamboo shoot looks great with your furniture and cabinets. I'm not sure if it is dark enough for my family room, but I am going to check it out.
    persnickety-Love your rooms! What a gorgeous view outside your breakfast nook!

I was thinking of something with gray undertones like scooby suggested. I think the color is going to have to be darker to have the impact I want. I checked out the green thread in the gallery. Lots of ideas there, but I am still lost when it comes to picking a coordinating ceiling color. Any ideas?

• bestyears
    15 years ago

Are you open to other suggestions besides paint? I think the paint is probably fine, but you need a bit more pattern and texture in the room. A throw on the couch, some patterned pillows, furniture pulled in a bit closer to each other, some dynamite patterned drapes -one panel on the outside of each window. Maybe someone could photoshop this for you?

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I'm sorry, but I'm having problems envisioning any color for the walls because the room itself so far seems disjointed with the grayish fireplace and the warm colored furniture. The elements all have to be cohesive and for you to add green when you already have two major colors that don't really go together probably will not help. If it were my room I woul paint the fireplace to match the ceiling first and then it will be easier to make a determination about wall color. Having a panel on each window as someone mentioned would be a great idea. I'm afraid also that the huge clock over the mantel at least in the photo makes the windows look smaller than they probably are. It would help to know what the main colors in the carpet are and if it does have green then a soft green wall color and other green accessories in the room might work very well.

• yodajo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm open to other suggestions! Like I mentioned before, I've done very little to the room and I know it needs accessorizing, etc. I plan on making some paneled cutains for the two windows and a doorwall on an adjacent wall. I am hoping to get a coffee table soon and then start with the accessories. I have a 2 year old and a 5 month old and I just can't get out and do the things I need to do as much as I want!
    I appreciate the comment about the gray brick, Ingrid. I think you're right about the cool tone of it causing a disconnect in the room. My husband is against painting it, so I need some time to wear him down on that one and it may take a while.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

Make sure you make the right decision I painted my bathroom green and I do not like it now. It is called Olive Tree by Ralph Lauren. It makes me think of something out of the Woodstock days.

Sock it to me.......Jane

Hope I didn't high jack your page.

{{!gwi}}

• bestyears
    15 years ago

A two-year-old and a 5-month-old? Say no more! Gosh I remember those days....

• tre3
    15 years ago

Newdawn I love your bathroom. When your tired of your vanity/desk, I'd be happy to find a good home for it:)

• ttodd
    15 years ago

I agree w/ Bestyears about bringing in more texture etc... After trying that if you're still not fully satisfied is when I would consider repainting.

Personally I wouldn't do green - then you'd have too many large areas w/ radically different colors. I think that you were on the right track w/ the Camelback but that it could be richer - someting like Mom2Seth's White Raisin or in that range.

BTW Mom2Seth - how do you like your room since you've redecorated? Looks wonderful - hugely different look.

Newdawn - there you go again!!!! Another fabulous room - I see what you mean about that particular green though but it all still looks wonderful as usual!

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I suggested a grayed down blue the last time you posted about this room. I think it would play nicely with the brick and be a great foil for the warmth of both of the upholstered pieces. You can successfully combine warm and cool tones in a room. In fact, it makes for a more interesting space.

• yodajo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

amysrq-I remember your suggestion and I checked out possible colors on my paint deck. My carpet has a tiny bit of that color in it, so it could work. Its such a departure from what I would usually consider though that I'm still on the fence. I wish I had photoshop!

Newdawn-I love your bathroom. You have some great pieces in there!

• User
    15 years ago

I ran your picture through my BM color viewer. This is a pretty basic program so images are a little rough. I also missed the mark a little on the right side of your fireplace. But I think you can get the idea. I like the blue/teal type color the best. I can try some lighter colors if you like, but the program has its limits and they tend to look neon

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Thanks for doing that Chloe! The first one is what I had in mind. I think something that says blue/gray/green (in that order) would work. Remember, it does not have to match the color in your carpet. Your eye will make up the difference.

A place to start would be 689 Rhine River, 696 Pleasant Valley and things right around that neighborhood. If they're too vivid for you, jump to Quiet Moments 1563 and Gray Wisp 1570 and their neighbors.

• yodajo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, Chloe! That helps a lot!!

I can see what you mean now, Amy. I am going to play with the colors a bit and see what I come up with. Thanks for helping me consider other possibilities!

• mom2sethc
    15 years ago

Hello,

Persnickeydesign - I Love YOUR Green!!!

ttodd - Thanks for asking! I LOVE my new room. I'm still not finished though. I'm going to replace the tall lamp, and add a white pedestal table to the right side of the room. I'll post new pics when I've made the updates to see if I'm getting closer.

Elaine

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

Tre3--- Thank you for the compliment on my bathroom. My mom bought me that vanity my last birthday. I have used it once or twice is all.

TTodd---I know here I go again. Hey did you ever sell your house?

Maxsam---Thank you so much. It is a big bathroom for such an old house. But green as it can be. lol

I prefer Persnickerydesign's green way more than mine.

....Jane

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

chloe, what was that first color? Great work :)

• ttodd
    15 years ago

I really like the 1st pic of the silvery blue grey!

Nope not yet. DH & I are concerned about the market and also some big repairs that should be made before putting it on the market. We are now considering renting it out.

• User
    15 years ago

flyleft,
    Thse colors never look like the chips. You just have to find a chip that looks similar to the color on the picture.
    I think it was Texas sage. I don't have the chip, so not sure how close the color came to the chip.Some seem better than others.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Yikes! Texas Sage is a dark gray/olive green IRL. Further evidence that the simulators just can't be trusted!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH