Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

ABC's Once Upon a Time

ttodd
12 years ago

Besides being totally wrapped up in the plot line I am also completely intrigued by and enjoying the set design of the various places of Storybrooke.

Anyone else?

I'd almost describe it as 'Edgey Romantic' totally befitting of a darker grown-up fairytale.

I love the use of wallpapers and murals throughout the sets, the non-white trims and doors. The forest theme that seems to run throughout many of the homes and places of business.

The diner is featured quite a bit and last week I was noticing the wonderful wallpaper and chartruese trim. I just thought 'how cool!'. I included a link to that below.

The motel w/ it's wonderful mish-mash of corals & pinks & wallpaper is wonderful as well as the Mayor's office wallpapered w/ black and white birch trees.

We're also watching Grimm and am so appreciative of the Craftsman style home and decor. The kitchen w/ it's tealish/ green cabinets are so bold and wonderful.

It's all such a refreshing change from, say, the Housewives sets that caused such a stir a few yrs. ago.

While I don't think that this 'Fairytale' decorating is going to set the world on fire like Houswives did, I do think that it will have some passionate followers that use it as a jumping off point to let their individual quirky style unabashadly run rampant.

Just my .02 cents!

Here is a link that might be useful: Storybrooke Diner

Comments (44)

• mitchdesj
    12 years ago

Indeed edgy romantic, dark also but in a good way ; a mysterious decor, not in your face.......... I looked up the wallpaper manufacturer, the Mirage paper in the diner is 75$ a roll, btw.
    I haven't watched this show yet, thanks for the heads up.

link is below,

Here is a link that might be useful: Graham and Brown wallpapers

• avesmor
    12 years ago

ttodd, have not watched it but since you're a fan of Arts & Crafts, have you seen FX's American Horror Story?

• amykath
    12 years ago

I watch both...really enjoy both and yes the decor and feel transport you to another place.

Another fun show to watch...bc its so good and period specific is Mad Men. Plus I love Don Draper, he too is great to look at :-)

• Fun2BHere
    12 years ago

I have several weeks recorded that I haven't had time to watch, but I was captured from the start by the set design, make-up and special effects. Once Upon a Time always looks to me more like a big screen film than a television show.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

We love Once Upon a Time!

(that's all I had to say)

:-)

• amykath
    12 years ago

I believe some of the creators and/or writers also did Lost. That is my all time fave show!!!

Anyone else?

• natal
    12 years ago

I think a couple of the writers worked on LOST. I don't care for Once Upon A Time, but I LOVED LOST!

• amykath
    12 years ago

Natal....

I am sooooo with you! Watching Lost was like watching a high production film. The actors were impeccable and the writing was nothing short of genius.

My fave episode was when Jack screams, "we have to go back Kate! We have to go back!!!" As the plane takes off right over his head. Gives me chills just thinking about it!!

Amy

• mboston_gw
    12 years ago

Both DH and I watch both Grimm and Once Upon A Time. Can't believe that we both like them! I like the supporting character in Grimm that he goes to for help, can't recall his name. He's one stange dude.

I wonder how Portland feels about being the city represented in Grimm?

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I love Once Upon a Time...my favorite new show on TV!

The really great sets (like in the castle) are done on the green screens. They're all sitting at the round table and everything else is created, on the computer. That might be part of the 'movie set' feeling.

Ttodd- I hope you're right about 'fairytale style' because that's been my favorite, for a long time! Is anyone else rooting for Mr. Gold and Belle to get back together? :)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

If you like that type of wallpaper, here's another picture...
    {{gwi:1433897}}From Fairy tale cottage

• amykath
    12 years ago

Oh yes! I am rooting for Belle and Mr. Gold! And death to that b*#&@ of a queen.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Aktillery- Absolutely! She's got to go!!!

Does anyone else think the guy with the typewriter is the one who wrote Henry's book?

• ttodd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Avesmor - I was watching American Hooror Story but we kept running out of space on the DVR so we had to make some hard choices. That house was pretty phenomenal!

Lavendarlass - I remember that picture from a previous thread of yours. Glad you posted it again because I remember how low the ceilings are in DH's Grandmother's house (built in 1792 or 6). My fingers are crossed that everything goes right and we will buy it back in the near future (verbal deal w/ the owner at this point). That picture is like perfection for her house. Low beamed ceilings, heavy timber mantle. Tucked away underneath lots of trees. I think I could work that dark romantic vibe there! Both DH and my dad have done faux beam projects for clients. And DH's favorite genre' of books, movies, games etc... is anything fantasy w/ wizards, warriors, trolls, princesses and hero's.

I haven't watched the last 1 or 2 episodes. They're DVR'd. Oh I hope this show stays around! At first I preferred Grimm but now I find myself anxiously awaiting the next episode of Once Upon a Time a bit more so than Grimm - which is just pure entertainment for me. Don't get lost in it as much.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Ttodd- I'm glad you like the room. I love that fireplace surround with the wood stove and hope to do something like that, in our farmhouse/cottage. (It's a farmhouse that seems to be getting some cottage/fairy tale details.)

I have so much fun watching this show. It's so different that a TV show or movie can actually use all the names from the Disney movies! And, who knew there were eight dwarves?

This is one of my favorite rooms, in Prince Charming and Snow White's castle. The nursery...did you see the glass unicorn mobile, hanging in Mr. Gold's shop? :) {{gwi:1519714}}From Snow White album

This picture isn't from the show...but it reminds me of the bridges you see, on the fairy tale side. {{!gwi}}From Snow White album

Also not from the show, but this looks very 'fairy tale' style, to me! {{gwi:1518490}}From Fairy tale cottage

• ttodd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OMG - that room is soooo sweet!

When I saw the nursery I almost wanted another baby! Okay - not really but I did want to do a nursery for someone!

Lets see - industrial-farmhouse-romantic?

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I think mine is more rustic/romantic, with a bit of vintage thrown in for fun. It's a farmhouse, but it's getting a lot more cottage details :)

Not my house, but I like many of these elements... {{gwi:1397301}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• xantippe
    12 years ago

mboston, you asked how people feel in Portland about Grimm. Well, we live in Portland, and everyone we know LOVES Grimm. It's thrilling to play "name that location," and the show's quirkiness is fun because Portland really is a quirky, weird city, even if we don't really have werewolves!

And then, of course, there are the houses. Urban Portland really does look like what you see in the show: tree-lined neighborhoods full of lovingly restored bungalows, Colonials, English cottages, and grand Tudor mansions. We live in one of these neighborhoods, and count ourselves very lucky every day.

• pollyannacorona
    12 years ago

I wound up watching all the episodes on hulaplus this weekend, thanks for the heads up. I saw previews long ago and forgot to watch. Loving the sets, thanks for posting this. I didnt even know my son and DIL were watching it.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I love this show.
    My sister hooked me on to it and I am beyond thankful to her.
    ~boxer

• tfm1134
    12 years ago

LOVE the show!! DD who is 8 was so disappointed when she found out Sunday night that the next episode wouldn't be for 2 weeks. One of our favs for sure. DH and I are obsessed with what the wicked queen wears each week. Her gowns are gorgeous!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Tfm- I agree with you DD (and I'm a little older than 8) but I am disappointed to wait two weeks, too! LOL

I'm glad they've finally given a better story line to Abigail/Kathryn. Now, she seems less like the spoiled princess...and I am keeping my fingers crossed that Frederick finds her (whatever his name is in Storybrooke) and they finally get back together :)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Was anyone else surprised, by the Red Riding Hood part, of tonight's episode? I did NOT see that coming...what a twist on the traditional story.

• kswl2
    12 years ago

I am surprised to hear so many people say they like this show! I saw most of one episode one night in a hotel and was really surprised at how bad the dialogue was. When Snow White's father died his wife said to her stepdaughter, "I'm here for you," and it was full of lines like that that would be trite and silly even in a modern show.
    "I'm here for you" ........really?

• yborgal
    12 years ago

I didn't expect that either. I love this show. It's amazing how it can easily switch from the Present to the Fairy Tale Side and then back again without confusing the audience.

I think the writers are incredibly talented and the actors are suberb.

I'm hooked!!

• camlan
    12 years ago

"I am surprised to hear so many people say they like this show! I saw most of one episode one night in a hotel and was really surprised at how bad the dialogue was. When Snow White's father died his wife said to her stepdaughter, "I'm here for you," and it was full of lines like that that would be trite and silly even in a modern show.
    "I'm here for you" ........really?"

Yes, it is not great dialogue. But for that particular character, at that time, it was appropriate. That's how she talks--in both worlds. Most of the other characters have better lines.

• tfm1134
    12 years ago

monablair, you are so right. The writers are making this way too much fun. My head was spinning after last night. Never saw any of it coming.
    Saw the previews for next week and OMG! how to process? LOL

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

I can't believe tomorrow night is it for the first year! Anyone else planning to watch the big season finale?

Also...does anyone watch Castle? Finally some romance! (LOL) and a great twist at the end with the blackmail situation.

• ttodd
    11 years ago

Absolutely but it will be DVR'd. Or maybe I can get a plan together and get caught up tonight. Watching the Season Finale on Mother's Day would be a nice treat for me!

We do watch Castle but I'm about 2 episodes behind.

We finally ditched Grimm from our DVR. Kind of a let down sonce I started out liking it better than Once Upon a Time.

• tfm1134
    11 years ago

I can't believe this season is over already but it sure has been a fun ride and can't wait to see what tomorrow nights episode brings.
    Yes, I love Castle and was so glad to see something finally happen between them, but still smarting over them killing off Captain Montgomery last year. I keep waiting for them to tell us that it was just a ploy, well maybe next season...

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I'll record the finale, but I'm about a month behind in watching the shows I have recorded so I probably won't see it for a while.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Back to the style issue...I really like the rustic/romantic (what I call fairy tale) style. What do you think of this pot rack, with this style of kitchen?
    {{gwi:1448518}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures
    {{gwi:1448516}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

Okay, I'd like you all to know that you owe me the $7.99 a month it's going to cost me to keep up this habit once my free hulu plus trial is over!! :p

I usually don't miss TV, but this one is right up my alley, and seems to be just as addictive as LOST was (we watched that one mostly on DVD, and sometime afterwards DH cancelled DISH, saying he didn't want to get that hooked on something again!).

LL, I love many of the things you do and enjoy your posts (though I often prefer less flowery versions so DH can be comfortable, too). :) I think you have a pretty good handle on your style, and that pot rack would fit right in.

• ttodd
    11 years ago

I think that it's lovely, wonderful and perfect! Just a thought - not sure how into recycling you are, but what about an old grate or piece of wrought iron fencing?

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Jessica- LOL! How much of the $7.99 is my share?

I like to post more feminine pictures, because I think many of us (me included) don't do that enough in real life. We all compromise on neutrals...and I think we secretly want some fairy tale/flowery style! By combining the rustic/romantic styles and using wood, metal, leather, etc. with the more 'girly' elements, it seems to work for the entire family :)

Foxes- That's a great idea! I'll have to have a pot rack made (we have a good friend who can do it) and recycling would be easy. I love the idea of a pot rack...but having the herbs with a few other items really lightens things up. And, the herbs are handy for cooking/baking, too!

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I agree. If I could live in that cottage from The Holiday, I would love it. However, in real life, I need larger rooms and less clutter, so I indulge myself by dreaming over books and magazines featuring design styles that I like, but would probably never implement in my home.

I think if you made a pot rack as described, it would be gorgeous.

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

''I like to post more feminine pictures, because I think many of us (me included) don't do that enough in real life. We all compromise on neutrals...and I think we secretly want some fairy tale/flowery style! By combining the rustic/romantic styles and using wood, metal, leather, etc. with the more 'girly' elements, it seems to work for the entire family :) ''

Good point! And both Granny's cottage and Mary Margaret's apartment made me want to add in a bit more of the feminine touch. :)

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

August has been a rough month...so I decided to splurge and get the DVD for Once Upon a Time's first season. Looking forward to the second season, starting the end of September! Quick preview, below :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Once Upon a Time preview

• tfm1134
    11 years ago

we are so excited for the second season. Can't wait!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

We can't wait either!!!!

• CLBlakey
    11 years ago

Too funny I was not on here when this thread first started but my hubby and I went to "Storybrook" (Steveston,BC) on our holidays we went on a Saturday and they were starting production for the upcoming season on the Tuesday Rats!! We had to leave Sunday. We even had stopped at the dinner but the inside is shot on location somewhere else looks very different. Mr Golds shop has paper covering the windows but you can peek where it is peeled back. It was kinda a fun way to spend the day. We too are waiting for season 2.

• tesmith
    11 years ago

Our whole family loves the show
    this includes myself a 50 y/o male, wife nearly my age but I can not say that! girls, 22, 20, and 13 year old twins

Now I may be in the minority as a guy that loves the show
    But I proudly proclaim I Like it.

I loved lost as well, but a totally different kind of show But both are entertaining. I hope this one has a long run and I hope they keep the quality up as well!

Have to say We can not wait either....Now if only I could get my wife to let me delete the old episodes from the DVR to free up more space But that is a different story!

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Just thought I'd mention that they're showing four episodes Sunday night from Season 1 (including first and last) in case anyone wants to catch up.

Also, here's one of the trailers for Season 1. If anyone hasn't seen the show, the blonde (Emma) is the baby in the fairy tale world. After 28 years (everyone is frozen in time in our world) she comes back to break the curse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Once Upon a Time trailer

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Just wanted to say, I've decided to go for it...and I'm redecorating the bedroom in my version of' fairy tale' style. It's been a lot of fun and allowed me to try something a bit more unexpected.

After finding a beautiful dark purple quilt and shams (which looks great with a few cranberry red accents we already have) I decided to mix in some leaf prints and green/gold accents. I really need to tone down the 'purple' to get my husband on board.

When I get done, I'll take some pictures, but so far the whole scheme seems to work. It's unexpected, but I decided I needed a leaf print for the drapes and maybe the headboard...after seeing some of the great sets on 'Once Upon A Time'. This is our current house (so no fireplace, yet) but I'm really excited about doing something a bit different, than what I see in the magazines :)

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County