Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluestarrgallery

Built In Desk Idea in Bedroom what do U think?

bluestarrgallery
10 years ago

We just moved into our home and there's an alcove in the guest bedroom which I'd like to turn into a built in desk and TV alcove. The bedroom is small and there's a french door leading to the front deck right beside the alcove. The alcove space is 58 inches wide and 38 inches deep and eight foot tall.

We are on a tight budget so I plan to purchase ready made cabinets (kitchen) and my carpenter was going to cut off the base on the lower cabinets to make them desk height and I was going to get a ready made formica sheet and cut to fit in space. Only problem I see is that the ready made cabinets in 12 inch don't come with three drawers which I would prefer for the base cabinets instead of one drawer and a door in each base.

Attached is a photo of the space. In the next post I'll show you my diagram, Il can't figure out how to post multiple photos in the same message.

What do you think, is it workable? Do you have any additions or changes you can suggest. See any design flaws?

Comments (27)

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the diagram of the built in

• User
    10 years ago

I think the upper cabinet configuration looks a lot like cabinets over a kitchen. And I would use a wood desk top rather than Formica, which IMO will make this unit look like a bedroom coffee bar. That said, I think built in desks and shelving in bedrooms is a great idea, especially for kids' rooms and spare rooms also used as home offices, especially when there is an alcove like the one you have.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi kswl, thanks, by a wood top, do you mean solid wood? where can I get a piece of wood that wide, or if plywood then it wouldn't match the cabinets? I was thinking of getting the hickory ready made cabinets from Lowes

what if I can get a piece of granite and have that installed for the top? perhaps some place has a remnant I can get inexpensively?

I see what you mean about the upper looking like a kitchen, perhaps I can just have some free floating shelves up there? or maybe not have the bridging cabinet in the middle.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Your inspiration pic is nice, but if this is just a guest room, and money is tight, do you want to go to that expense? Will you make use of this space on a regular basis? Also, does it line up well with the rest of the room for TV viewing?

If not, you might just buy a vanity and decorate it. I purposely had an alcove designed into my bedroom where I put on my makeup. I had the vanity since I was a little girl so designed the space for it. I like the more traditional look of furniture in my room over the more modern look of a built-in, but YMMV.

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

Ikea sells inexpensive wood countertops.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi AnnieDeighnaugh, thanks, we are planning on using that room as your home office with the laptop in that room. Also DH and I watch different programs on TV, so I will use that room to watch tv. the left hand side of the (queen) bed lines up with the TV so it will be just about the correct spot for viewing. I tend more towards modern than traditional nowadays, years ago I had all antique furniture, funny how things change, although this home has more of a cabin or mountain feel so trying to blend cabin-ie contemporary.

attached MCM desk wall unit, love it, but almost too contemporary for this home.

Hi dilly ny, thanks, oh I will check them out, we took a trip to Ikea in Atlanta but that was before we bought the house and I had forgotten they have wood counters.

Here is a link that might be useful: MCM desk wall unit

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Your inspiration pic has a large soffit. Will you be bringing the cabs up to the ceiling? If not, you might want them low enough to put baskets up there for additional storage...

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    10 years ago

I was going to suggest putting base cabinets in there to make a dresser and placing the TV on the top of that.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I would say design it however it will best suit your needs...if cabinets work better for you than open shelving, etc. than that is what you should do...otherwise you will be kicking yourself later because it won't function as you intended.

Yes, you should be able to find a granite remnant easily...stone yards are filled with remnants, although it can be difficult to see them all because they are stacked next to each other and can be hard flip through them. Wood would also look nice.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I was looking for something else and came across Sarah Susanka's house so was flipping through that, saw this, and thought of your project.

[Traditional Entry[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-entryway-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_741~s_2107) by Other Metro Architects & Designers Sarah Susanka, FAIA

• NashvilleBuild42
    10 years ago

Have you explored the idea of a floating desk (you could roll a file cabinet underneath). With less deep shelves above? Or perhaps just the floating desk with a tv wall mounted above. You can hide the wires in the wall. And hide the dish box underneat the desktop.

I'm not a huge fan of the design you drew. The 12" cab seems useless. I'd rather have one 24" cabinet on one side. The upper cabinets say "mudroom or kitchen" to me.

What is the style of the home? Would a built in armoire hiding the tv with a roll out shelf as a desk be better suited? Or perhaps just place a secretary desk in the alcove?

• teacats
    10 years ago

Here's a desk from Ikea -- might work in that spot .....also check out their bookshelves and cabinets ..... might work within a budget ....

Here is a link that might be useful: ikea desk

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Since it's only a guest room I can't see why you might want to go thru all the trouble of putting in a built in desk. If you think you could be using it as an office, that's a great idea, otherwise, Annie's idea of a vanity would seem a more logical choice.

From another perspective, your guest may prefer to sit in a a room with you and your family and use their laptop or ipad vs sitting at a desk. Usually when someone is visiting, they're not using their laptop for work, and that's the only time I can see when a desk is ideal. When i've had a guest the norm is to 'veg' on the sofa and hit the keys. ;)

• jmc01
    10 years ago

what about overhead lighting?

• User
    10 years ago

I like the configuration of white cabs in Annie's second picture, that is a clean looking, functional design! I did not realize you we're planning to use wood cabinets, but if you COULD find a wood desktop that closely matched your cabinets that would give the project an intentional, polished look. Granite would also be good. Open shelving with the right kind of thicker front edge bullnose would be nice too.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi AnnieDeighnaugh, thanks, I am not sure about having a soffit, I need as much storage as I can get in this house.

Hi mmomof2, thanks, I'd like to have upper cabinets too for more storage.

Hi joaniepoanie, thanks, I hope I can find the granite remnant and inexpensively.

Here's the ikea desk I like but the desk is 61 inches and I only have 58.75 inches in that space, perhaps I can cut the desk down on the sides. I was thinking the top could be suspended above on the wall instead of placed on the desk. hummm

Hi AnnieDeighnaugh, thanks, oh that is a nice design and seeing the offset cabinet below is good as the drawers are more functional to my needs.

Hi nashvillebuild, thanks, I agree with you, I guess I was initially trying to make it all symmetrical and that isn't really necessary.

Hi teacats, thanks, oh there is the perfect solution at ikea but the one desk is a bit two large, I may have to see if I can cut it down on the sides to fit, My opening is 58.75 inches and the desk is 61.

Hi patty cakes, thanks, well I will be using the desk most of the time for bill paying and for my laptap. I prefer sitting at a desk and the TV fits in the alcove

Hi jmc01, thanks, I was thinking about that, part of that alcove can be dark, will keep that in mind, good point.

Hi kswl, thanks, glad you mentioned the thicker edge to the shelves, something to keep in mind. wish I could find a desk that will fit with a topper on it, will keep looking. hoping for that polished look.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I have read that granite tops are too cold for desks.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Spring, since you will be using it and it's not just sitting there going to waste, by all means, do it! The 'niche' is a nice 'fit' for a desk as well as great for the tv. I really like the most recent picture Annie posted, using higher shelving and filling up more of the space. Great for storage of books, magazines, etc.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi may flowers, thanks, hum my computer would be sitting on the granite but I don't think my hands would be resting on the granite, not sure how that cold would affect me. I do know that granite is colder than any other surfaces.

Hi patty cakes, I think the built in utilizes the space the best

but I am reconsidering and looking at drop lid secretaries, although most are not large (wide) enough to fill up the space and so there is a waste of that space. so many decisions. would wall mount the TV above, still need to do something with the dish control box though,

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Cute secretary above. I DO NOT like the monstrosity desks. There is a dump somewhere dedicated to the 20th century contraptions that are begging to become extinct.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I use a white marble desk and DH has a grey marble desk.

I really like the smoothness of the surface, but it is indeed cold, sometimes.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Why waste all the vertical space? IMO, a secretary with a hutch type top would fill the complete space. Here's an example from Ikea.

Here is a link that might be useful: desk

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi patricia43, I don't like the monstrocity desks either but I do like the look of this white one but most desks are either 60 inches and I only have 58 3/4 inches or they are much smaller at 37 inches.

Hi mtnrdredux, thanks, I don't think I'd mind the cold feel.

Hi patty cakes, thanks, I'd wall mount the TV so no wasted space there, wonder what the inside of the Ikea tall secretary looks like, wish they have a photo of the inside. the width of that piece is fairly narrow and my alcove is 58 3/4 inches -

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I like that white secretary, as I stated before. I think you could do that if the "size is right." If not, check with local cabinet people and see what can be done.

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found a few more built ins giving me more ideas. Originally I was thinking of wood cabinets, but now I think the white cabinets would give the nook a more seamless look.

Still can't figure out how you can get more than one photo in one post? can anyone help me there ?

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another example

• bluestarrgallery
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so much can be done to make the nook unique and functional; I think I need to make a list of how I will use the space, size of laptop, size of computer, size of printer, etc and do I want paper storage, file storage and then draw up the nook shape with my needs in mind,