Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scarlett001

Ideas for wall paint colour for this duvet??

Scarlett001
10 years ago

I am now setting to work on redoing the guest room. I am probably going to go with this lovely springtime bird duvet from Pottery Barn (see attached photo and web link below). I have light blue/gray carpet in the bedroom if this affect the wall colour choice (I may change this flooring in a few years time, but for now it is staying). The trim is a kind of golden oak. The bedroom is north facing so it can be a bit dingy overall.

Curious to hear people's ideas!! Should I go off-white, yellow, yellow/orange, purple, light blue or something else??

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/painterly-bird-duvet-cover-sham/?pkey=cduvet-covers-shams&cm_src=duvet-covers-shams::NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

Comments (12)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Love soft yellow for a guest room....we did ours in BM Pale Moon.

• theclose
    10 years ago

I think a pale lavender would be gorgeous. BM Slip comes to mind. I've known two people to use it and they love it. Looks ethereal.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

The photo of the PB duvet appears to have pale lavender walls. The pale yellow and pale lavender suggestions are good ones, IMO. Both will go nicely with the blue/grey rug (without seeing it, of course). My father consulted an artist once o how to tone down and offset some hideous purple tile (walls and floor!) in a bathroom of a rental property he owns. She told him to use a light blue. We did, I painted it. Made an enormous difference; the purple tile no longer looked hideous, even, believe it or not. So mamorella's lavender suggestion works in that context. But then, soft yellow and blue are a very nice combo too!

• Naf_Naf
    10 years ago

If it is a bit dingy and you have a blue/gray carpet, I'd go with an off white, slightly (one shade) darker that the duvet cover background.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

A soft lavender and that should also look nice with your carpet. If at all possible, bring home paint samples and weight against your carpet. I think you can be liberal in your choice of lavenders for the duvet which is lovely but I think you can make a very wise choice by weighing color values against your carpet such that it blends with both the carpet and the colors in the duvet, and making it extraordinarily beautiful.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

If it's north facing, I'd probably go with something more towards the yellowish, whether pale yellow, cream, or even a more greenish blue. I can't see it properly, but what's the blue in the blue birds like? Maybe like BM Palladium Blue.
    Very pretty duvet cover!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You could go with a pale green like soft fern.

• camlan
    10 years ago

If the room gets little natural light, I'd go with a pale yellow or a paler shade of the coral in the flowers.

If the room gets a lot of natural light, I'd go with a pale lavender or green--a paler shade of what's in the duvet.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I think a creamy white like BM Ivoire would look super, it's warm and inviting and the bedding is wonderful.

• Baroo2u
    10 years ago

I'd be leery about painting off white, either the walls will make the duvet cover look dingy or vice versa. Pale yellow or lavender sound like the best bet, but if the room is big enough to handle it I'd go with a cobalt-y blue to match the blue birds! You'd need lots of white trim & good lighting to pull it off, 'tho!

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Off white, pale yellow, blue or a coral, IMO would all be very pretty, but I'm not seeing the lavender. It's such a beautiful duvet you need to choose a color that will do it justice.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I like the idea of taking a fairly deep blue from the birds. Maybe just on the headboard wall, even though I am against accent walls I think it would show off the comforter best.