Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasgal47

Should I buy this clipper ship from CL?

texasgal47
10 years ago

I'm decorating my home in British Colonial and have considered purchasing a model of a whaling ship to go on my shelf system in the familyroom. Yesterday I found a great deal on a model of a clipper ship + glass case for $399. For a peek, if you google --- craigslist Dallas + clipper ship -- it should come up immediately. The shelves of my shelf system are 11" deep and the case is 11.25"d. so it just fits. The inside width of the bookshelf is 42" and height is no problem as shelves are adjustable. The ship itself is 24"w x 6"d x 15"h. The case is 30"w x 19.5"h. My concern is that I don't want the ship to be a focal point, just be an accessory. Currently, a large painting over the fireplace is the focal point of the room. As I write this, it seems silly to be asking such a question at all, but I just don't want to go off on a tangent and regret my purchase as the model will certainly be an eye catcher in the room. I plan to add led lighting to the bookcase, so it can't be missed. Thanks for any input and the handholding. I appreciate honest feedback as I am a widow and no longer have my DH to talk me out of these "brainstorms I occasionally get. In case you're wondering how the ship would stay intact, my home is in Houston so I would drive up for the purchase.

Comments (17)

• graywings123
    10 years ago

It's a shame to have to buy the glass case and then not use it.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: link to ship

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

If the second you saw it, you "knew", and if you love it, and if you think it will make you happy to look at it each day, and if you can afford itâ¦.then absolutely, go for it.

If you think you are going to say, "I wish I had that $400 back" so you could pay a bill or get a repair you need done, don't get it.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

If you love it and can afford it, buy it.

Not my style at all but I appreciate its beauty.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Go for it!

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i agree--- if you love it, get it!!

i don't think it will compete as a focal point with a large painting over your fireplace!!

• texasgal47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I want to thank all of you for taking the time to reply. If purchased I would leave the glass case on it as it is almost impossible to dust something like this. A 1/4" overhang shouldn't make that much of a difference. My furniture is traditional so it would fit with the decor. And those of you who mentioned, buy it only if you love it are absolutely right. I'm in that camp with you that someone should only bring accessories into their home that they really love, not just because it goes, even if it means waiting for that perfect item. Also, graywings, my heartfelt gratitude for taking the time to post the photo. I'm hesitating still to give myself time to step back and reflect instead of going with the emotion of the moment as that is quite a bit of money for an accessory. I'll let all of you know the first part of the week what I decided. Any other thoughts are welcome.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Oh yes, it's stunning and will compliment your decor.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Texasgal,

I saw this on 'my' Maine Craigslist today. It's far from the beauty that you have shown above, but at $30.00, less than 1/10 the price. If it interested you at all, I've put the link to the ad below, so you could contact the seller, who might be willing to ship it. The one you show above is stunning.

Here is a link that might be useful: Handmade ship from Maine Prison Store - $30 (Portland)

• beachpea3
    10 years ago

If you like your Clipper Ship, You should Buy your Clipper Ship...Period! If you are waffling- go into EBay and see what they have in Model Ships. Compare prices, sizes, workmanship, etc. The case makes a big difference- not only for dusting but to preserve the pieces from the air and from fingers. My late grandfather's collection of Ship Models was divided up by the family. Those who had theirs restored put them in glass cases and they are still in excellent condition. The others...not so much. Good luck!

• melsouth
    10 years ago

Love it and the one my3dogs posted.
    Give yourself a Valentine!
    :)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

My dad built models like that when I was a kid. Countless hours; he loved his ships. A super-accurate model like that is worth more than $400 in the time it took to build,plus that glass case.
    I wonder if that is "The Sovereign of the Seas"? it sure looks like it.
    Casey

• celticmoon
    10 years ago

Decades ago I worked at New England maritime museum loaded with ship models. Unfortunately my memory for details of the tours is disturbingly hazy...

I have no guess as to its value, but that ship model does look to be exceptionally nice and detailed. If it speaks to you, and you can afford it, by all means enjoy it. It is unlikely another will find its way to a Texas thrift shop.

• texasgal47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement, all of you!!! The ship and case are well worth more than the amount posted. I spoke directly with the builder of the model. He put quite a bit of extras into it. Since my last posting, I'm now considering a model of an ancient Hawaiian canoe, instead. The first thing I did for my home remodel was to commission an artist on Maui to paint a scene of Lahaina Harbor (in Maui) and to include Hawaiian history in the painting. Where all this is leading is that he painted very prominantly in the foreground a replica of an ancient Hawaiian double hulled canoe. One just happened to be in the harbor for a day while he was working on my painting. This is how I got off on a tangent about Hawaiian canoes. If you look at the website of Francis Pimmel, I can commission a canoe to replicate the one in my painting for about the same price as the clipper ship. I'm probably in the minority but these canoes are more interesting to me than the clipper ship. If you have time, look on Mr. Pimmel's website; he has some beauties if you're really awash in cash. If you were deciding between the two, what would you do? Probably only the guys would care about such a question.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Is British Captain James Cook involved in your Hawaiian/British Colonial decor? You must get pictures for us on completion.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

I have linked the website you mentioned above, and his work is stunning. Since that type of Hawaiian double hulled canoe is featured in your room, this would be a wonderful addition, and have great meaning to you. I wouldn't hesitate to have one custom made by him.

In the link below, which one is similar to the one in your painting?

Here is a link that might be useful: Francis Pimmel models

• yayagal
    10 years ago

The piece is so beautifully sculptural, I think it's an amazing piece. I'd never tire of it.

• texasgal47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My3dogs, a huge thank you for posting the link to Francis' website. Also, yayagal and patricia43, your enthusiastic responses have helped me to feel that I'm really "normal" in falling madly in love with these little works of art that are gorgeous replicas of South Pacific sailing history. The sailing vessel in my painting looks almost exactly like the Lapita Voyage Project canoe on Mr. Pimmel's website (scroll down lower on his page) with the following exception. I believe mine only has one sail. It was down, wrapped and laying on the deck at the time the artist captured the image of the canoe in the harbor so there is no sail in the painting. Pat43, yes I am including other historical artifacts in my decor. Thank you for asking. This summer while on Cape Cod, a handwoven Nantucket basket, a genuine scrimshaw, and a carved whale were purchased for display on the shelf system in the familyroom. The decor is British colonial but with a Hawaiian slant. My DH and I vacationed on Maui about five times, and I wanted to bring the relaxed feel of Hawaii to this remodel. I'll be happy to post photos when completed. The big problem is that I'm stripping the paint and varnish from the six unit shelf system that's in the familyroom. This has turned into a never ending project. If anyone has any magical suggestions, I'm all ears. To wrap this up, a big thank you for help with my decision; I'll go with the Pimmel canoe. Mine will only be 12" long. That's the size I wanted, and it's at the top of my price range at that. Also, your patience with my dithering about is much appreciated. Mahalo (Thank you!)