Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zinia_gw

create my own vinyl magnetic mailbox cover

Zinia
16 years ago

I want to make my own mailbox cover. What kind of paint would work on a vinyl magnetic sheet? I have considered Patio Paint (outdoor accrylic), but I don't know if it's OK to use on vinyl.

Thank you,

zinia

Comments (4)

• oceanna
    16 years ago

I have never worked on the vinyl stuff, but I've painted directly on the mailbox and then sealed it well. Is there some reason you don't want to do that? Mailboxes are pretty inexpensive, so if you ever wanted to you could simply take yours down and replace it. For working on the box itself Plaid acrylic paints work fine and come in lots of colors. Just be sure to seal it well with several coats of protection.

• Katie S
    16 years ago

You can use primers and paints meant for plastic, they are flexible. That's the key since you'll have to flex it to adhere, right?

• sweets98
    16 years ago

If you dont want to make your own, I bought one off a woman on ebay. It's a magnetic thing that you can get your house number or name or whatever on. I could get you the info for her. She has a website.

Just let me know, you can e-mail me through My Page...

• magnoliasouth
    10 years ago

@oceanna: I don't want to paint on mine because I prefer to change them seasonally or for holidays or whatever else.

I know this is a VERY old thread, but for folks who just happen by here in the future...

One alternative, that saves money, is to first create an "adapter" by either using adhesive magnetic strips or even adhesive Velcro strips. Either would work. Just attach them to your mailbox.

Next, choose decorative paper (craft, wrapping, old wallpaper etc.) and cover the paper with clear contact paper, then attach the opposing adhesive magnetic strips or Velcro strips.

Alternatively, you can do what the OP suggests but some of you that have plastic mailboxes will still need some sort of adapter.

Also remember that the flag will get in the way and not all mailboxes allow the flag to be removed for installing. You can fix that problem by making a slit in the paper.

Finally, there are tons of premade for standard sized mailboxes that are available online. Just Google mailbox covers. They're not cheap though.