Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nursetammi

Beautiful View is Back

nursetammi
10 years ago

Some of you may remember me a while back asking for some paint color selections. Well I am getting ready to paint very soon and need your wonderful ideas and opinions on what I should do.I have a house in the mountains with a beautiful view of the lake. The deck is massive on this house so I need help in picking out the colors of the house and the deck. The roof is there to stay and can not be painted. I am removing the shutters and putting a wood border around them. Also wanted your opinion of using Deck Over, if anyone had any experience with that. Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate suggestions on anything :)

Comments (22)

• glad2b
    10 years ago

What a view! That lake is gorgeous - where is it?

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I am so jealous. I love the color of the house. I would make the areas that are now white, 2 shades darker than the body of the house. I agree with removing the shutters. The deck appears to be natural, right? I would just redo that. Make that front door a pretty color of rusty red with a brass kick plate on it with a very pretty wreath that contains a lot of green and is accented with the rusty red color.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Beautiful! The first thing that caught my eye was how the deck seems to overshadow the house because it's so dark.

I know nothing about painting decks, but if possible, I'd definitely paint it a very light color. Maybe even white. White would also brighten up the area under the house.

• thankurnmo
    10 years ago

Sorry but that swing on the deck overlooking that amazing view is where you can find me. Hope you have room for another for yourselves..
    I have no suggestion about the colors because all I see is that view and MY swing.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Absolutely stunning. Looks like NH.

With the well there, I see a barn read for your house. I would leave the deck as is. Oakleyok suggesting painting the deck. That would be something you would come to regret having done, esp. in an area like yours, where you obviously get a lot of snow and other weather, including sun. Paint is a high-maintenance choice for decks. Stick with stain, and every 2 - 3 years, wash it and destain with water repellant stain. It is not a hard job. Just don't use a pressure washer at high pressure (you'll destroy the wood), and get a garden sprayer to spray the new stain/sealer on. Then you just go over each section with a bristle brush on a pole to spread the stain/sealer. Directions are on the cans.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

White roof

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I remember this house! Who could forget that view, my oh my. Don't paint it, no one is looking at the house, LOL.

There are white stains, but not sure you could it ever do it over dark stain. Plus, IIRC this is in Georgia? I would guess the look locally is more lodgey? I would try to make the house more lodge like, using color and stone and trim. One elevation seems to be trying to be colonial, which I think is a bit off for the setting? Maybe take off the shutters when you paint, too, or choose different ones.

• edeevee
    10 years ago

Dang! I thought our new view was nice but -- wow! I hope someone chimes in on your Deck Over question. I want to know about that too.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

About the house, it's my personal belief that a house near the water should be one of the prominent nature colors so I'm advising a dark brown with taupe trim ala the rustic house in the link below. Choosing the right tone could eliminate the job of painting the deck portion as you could make it blend so the entire home presents as a unified look, then paint the front door a robin's egg blue. My second choice would be a dark sage.

Here is a link that might be useful: [houses[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/dark-brown-siding-phbr0lbl-bl~l_43369)

• Skyangel23
    10 years ago

I think natural colors as well. LOVE your view!

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Well, now I'm PO'd, because someone else had a thread asking about colors for his house, which was in a pretty, natural setting ,and I suggested browns or greens. Everyone else said it'd blend in too much with the threes and such, so I thought I'd better go a different route on this one.

So, barn red would be beautiful because of course that red has been in rural environs forever. But I also agree that nature colors are great in natural settings and that the more houses do fit in with its surroundings, the better.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Any chance you are near blairsville nursetammi? Reminds me of the view from a cousins house. Gorgeous.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Yayagal stated: About the house, it's my personal belief that a house near the water should be one of the prominent nature colors so I'm advising a dark brown with taupe trim ala the rustic house in the link below.

I think the house needs to be a taupe color but several shades darker on the trim, not glow-in-the-dark white. I have seen that on a house in Pine Mountain with similar setting and it was lovely. I would love to see a barn red front door with brass kick plate and seasonal wreaths, incorporating the colors of the green trees, brown twigs, barn reds and marigold yellows.

• peegee
    10 years ago

What a view!! Trying to understand if the whitish area of the water in the distance is from falls, like around Niagra, or is just the light....have no suggestions to add, except that like indicated upthread, I, too, prefer the natural look of buildings blending into the landscape in beautiful areas rather that sticking out.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

Hijacking!!!!~Iheart giant, how are you doing? I have been thinking about you

Now back to the post...I like the way things look now.

• nursetammi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The house is between Jasper and Ellijay Georgia and the lake is Carters Lake. Th whitish area is clouds in the morning. It is the start of the smoky mtns. The name "Smoky" comes from the natural fog that often hangs over the range and presents as large smoke plumes from a distance. Its really beautiful when that happens.
    Thank you all so far for your comments. Its such a help to hear all your ideas.
    Mtnrdredux, you were the first to suggest i lose the shutters. You also suggested to stone the chimney area which I loved but the cost was about $7000 so we decided to hold off for a while since the deck/paint/window job was going to cost a bunch too. Same with the porch. This deck is so big we needed to get that done first.
    Thanks Vayagal, I am enjoying looking at all the pics. I do so much better when I see pics.

• nursetammi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patricia 43, you don't happen to have a pic of that do you....or one similar?

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Nurse- thanks I've been to carters lake. Great view.

Elle I dont want to hijack thread I'll respond in discussions.

• nursetammi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are some colors I was looking at, am I too boring?

by

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I like the darker brown ones. They look great in settings like yours. Beige, to me, doesn't work at all. Too drab and suburban.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Opposite view of tbbrix (but totally agree with the idea of natural colours - it should blend in!). I love the first two pictures with the greeny cream/greige colours. When I first saw the pics of your house, that is what I envisioned. I love dark colours on houses (ours is forest black), but I just can't see it on yours. I would definitely leave the deck as is.

I also like the colours in the 3rd and 4th pics you've posted. I can see that they would relate well to the deck and help to blend it into the rest of the house to make a more cohesive whole. Eliminate anything pinky like what you've got now and look for colours with yellow or green undertones.

This post was edited by daisychain01 on Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 8:24

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I just found my dream house thanks to Yaya's link.

Want.

Here is a link that might be useful: [My dream house[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/private-residence-fontana-wi-victorian-exterior-milwaukee-phvw-vp~1567580)