Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bicyclegirl1

Can this be done?

bicyclegirl1
9 years ago

I posted a similar post earlier in kitchens, but haven't gotten much feedback as of yet, so I thought I'd post in a couple of the other threads to see if there's others that can possibly help me.

I want to put solid floating shelves up on my kitchen walls, but I don't want to use brackets, if possible. I'm hoping to use old barn wood that's almost 2" thick. I'd really like 3" but haven't seen any yet! I've seen some floating shelves made w/ a hollow core & are attached to the wall w/ something inside the core. Does this makes sense? If not, I'll go into more detail if you like. Anyway, as I said, I want solid shelves. Is there a way to install them on the wall that they'll be able to hold quite a bit w/out falling? I'll probably have my dishes, glasses, etc, sitting on them, so do not want them to come tumbling down one day! Does anyone have knowledge how to successfully achieve this?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Comments (12)

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

from what I've seen on hgtv the bracket is attached to the wall, the shelf is hollowed out (at least part of it) then the shelf slides over the part of the bracket that sticks out. Nothing of the bracket will show around the shelf. Surely they have to be very safe and hold a good amount. They're probably rated for weight like picture hangers are.

you could probably find a diy of it on youtube. that will show you how it is done.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Here is an example of how you can do it, but not sure it would work with a solid piece of wood...the shelf is a box fitted over the part mounted on the wall.

{{gwi:2139936}}

Also research french cleat...for the way to hang the shelves.

eta: removed bad pic

This post was edited by olychick on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 10:02

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

also, view the thread on here by robotropolis. she has some corner shelves that I think are what you are asking about. they're a few pics down and on the left.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

You can do it the way Olychick recommended or you can use one of the various shelf systems from RH

Here is a link that might be useful: RH Wood Shelves

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If you want to do it more easily but want the brackets to be less visible, you can use L brackets but attach them to the top of the wood instead of the bottom...not quite as strong or structurally sound, but it can be done...the brackets will then be hidden by the stuff you put on the top and won't be visible from the bottom.

The other thing to do is, if you can get the shelf wood deep enough, look into a french cleat system...not sure how narrow they come but one side attaches along the length of the shelf, the other to the length of the wall and then the cleats interlock making for a secure connection. Check them out at HD or lowes...

• TheRedHouse
    9 years ago

Yes! We did exactly what you're talking about bicyclegirl.We used Rockler blind shelf supports and a heavy, solid reclaimed Douglas fir board. The bases of the shelf supports are screwed into the walls (find studs) and then support arms are screwed into the bases. Holes for the support arms are drilled into the shelves with a very large drill bit. It was difficult to line up the holes on the selves just right, but we were working in a tight spot. The other challenge was finding a floor drill press big enough to put the holes in the shelves. We had to have help rigging something up. The result was great though and so worth the effort.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rockler blind shelf supports

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Yeah, with those, the drill must go straight down the center of the wood, else it will emerge through the shelf or the shelf won't be straight...

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

I'm linking an old thread that shows several solutions. I found it while searching for 'farmgirlinky', because she had posted pics of before and after, of shelves similar to TheRedHouse's. Unfortunately all her pictures have been deleted, even on the reveal thread of her wonderful kitchen.

Edited to add: cat_mom, who still posts here, also describes the process for her floating shelf.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floating (substantial) shelves?

This post was edited by mama_goose on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 10:43

• bicyclegirl1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all very much for your help. I think I can do this now!

desertsteph & olychick, unfortunately, the boards I want to use are 2" thick old hardwood boards that can't be hollowed out to do that option. I guess I could chisel it out, but I'd like to get this kitchen finished this year!! Those are beautiful shelves from RH, beverly. If all else fails, I could see the peg in the 1st & 3rd picture maybe working w/ my kitchen. The boards I'm looking at are similar to those in the pictures. I think they're really pretty.

Annie, I thought about doing the brackets like that, but it worries me about stability. A lot of breakables going on these! However, thank you for pointing out, on the ones redhouse used, to make sure the support arms get screwed in straight! I'd be so bummed if I ended up w/ wonky shelves!

Redhouse, did you secure the shelves into the side walls also, or just the Rockler supports? That looks like the most secure way to do this w/out having any brackets in the way or showing. And quite reasonable. I think I'd let my carpenter drill the arm supports in!

mama_goose, thanks for the links. I started going thru the link w/ all of the floating shelf info. Wow, some of those shelves are amazing. cat_mom did a great job explaining how she did it...well, her DH & friend!! I'm going back to read more!

Thank you all for stepping in to help me. Have a great weekend everyone!

This post was edited by bicyclegirl on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 22:41

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

I responded on your thread in Kitchens--we have a floating shelf over our buffet.

• TheRedHouse
    9 years ago

There are no side supports in the Rockler system. I think they can take about 50 lbs of weight for a 34" shelf, and if you want something longer, you just use additional brackets. Good luck with your project and whatever system you decide to use, please do post some photos of your shelves so we can admire them!

• bicyclegirl1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks RedHouse. I had posted in woodworking, as well, & showed them to a guy that had responded w/ a process that seemed like it could work, but was a lot more trouble than these. He said he's going to order some for himself now! I

I'll definitely post some pics here after all is said & done. Unfortunately, it probably won't be for awhile. I'm trying to get everything together, then execute! But, I promise to post some after they're up.

Thanks again!