Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_2008

DIY Upholstery - Goose Neck Arm Chair

Laurie
10 years ago

I am finally finished with my diy upholstery of a goose neck arm chair. This originally was my grandparents chair and was given to me in 1987. At that time, I took it to an upholsterer to have the old fabric taken off & the navy fabric put on. I did not have the money to pay the extra it would have cost to have the springs retied & webbing replaced.

After 26 years, the old navy blue fabric didn't look too bad, but it was faded and I needed a change. The seat was getting uncomfortable & I knew that it had to be refreshed and strengthened. I hope this chair will stay in our family for many more years to come.

This was a real challenge because the webbing as well as the jute on the springs were falling apart. None of my prior upholstery projects needed webbing or spring tying. It took me a long time to learn how to re-do webbing and to tie springs. I had posted on this forum about my webbing & tying back in November. I studied books & videos. My favorite online videos were from DIY Upholstery and Kim's Upholstery (Massachusetts). Kim answered all of my emails when ever I had questions. She was very helpful and encouraging to me.

After an office chair, 3 sofas, 1 wing chair, and this arm chair, I can say I am glad to put my staple gun away and move on to other projects!

I hope some of you will give upholstery a try some day. I thought about it for years before I got the nerve to pull out that first staple on that first office chair. Many of you have posted your own experiences with upholstering pieces and that really inspired me to jump in!

-Laurie

Here she is before:

Removing old fabric:

New webbing & springs tied

New layers of cotton

A layer of Dacron

Deciding where to make my cuts (this was all the fabric I had left after finishing my wing chair)

Here she is after:

Comments (29)

• nightowlrn
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow !!!!! Wonderful.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

fantastic! you really nailed it. so professional.

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

wow! beautiful job!

• ks92
    10 years ago

looks wonderful! great work!

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

So inspiring, Thank You!!
    You've done a great job, probably better than you might have paid for.

• bbstx
    10 years ago

Well done!

• cooperbailey
    10 years ago

You did another great job! what a fantastic skill to have!

• ppbenn
    10 years ago

Your posts are such an inspiration! What a great job on that chair!!
    My FIL was a professional upholsterer and my DH "helped" as a kid. We have a barn full of antique/vintage chairs that need new lives someday. When we ever finish this house, we intend to try our hand at upholstery. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Oh My goodness, your chair is lovely. The upholstery job is first rate and I adore the fabric that you chose. I would love to see pics of your whole room.

I have a chair in my bedroom that belonged to my DM but I don't think I am up to the challenge of re-upholstering it myself. I also have a pair of Victorian side chairs that belonged to my great, great aunts that I want to have re-done. They are all family pieces so I definitely want to keep them in the family.

• lovestowalk
    10 years ago

Excellent work. Your grandparents would be proud!!

• joyce_6333
    10 years ago

Laurie...fabulous work. I've seen several pictures of your previous work, and am in awe. I wish I had your talent and confidence. I have a couple chairs I would love to do, but it's a big step to start taking them apart. One is a 25 yr old Rowe chair. Looks absolutely like new, but the fabric is so very outdated (pink/blue). Also bought a chair similar to yours at Goodwill for $5.00...with the intent that I would try to recover it someday. Well, 10 yrs later, it's still sitting in the store room. You've given me some inspiration!!

• yayagal
    10 years ago

You're amazing in your skill and your good style sense.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I am just so impressed with your work! That chair looks wonderful.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Spectacular!

• nutsaboutplants
    10 years ago

Beautiful! And you were able to revive a chair that had some significance to you. I'm awed.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Laurie, it's just fabulous. I am in awe of your skills.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nightowlrn,patricia43,michoumonster,kickbox15,mlweaving_Marji,bbstx,cooperbailey,ppbenn,lovestowalk,joyce_6333,holly-kay,yayagal,dlm2000,cat_mom,nutsaboutplants, & marti8a -
    Thank you all so much for your kind words!

ppbenn - That is very special your FIL was an upholsterer & your DH helped as a child. I bet some day you will both enjoy working on those items stored in your barn : )

joyce - I hope you will get to those chairs some day, too.
    It would be great to start on that $5 bargain!!

holly-kay - below are pics of the rest of the room.

I want to make pillows for the sofa & a small one for the wing chair. I've taken pics of the art prints to show the muted shade of teal blue that I am drawn to. I am leaning towards velvet and I am waiting for a few more swatches to come in the mail.

Someday, I will have a coffee table or ottoman.
    For now, the main space is used for daily floor/play time with grandchildren : )

Print above sofa (I like the color of the older girl's dress)

Print next to fireplace (note the teal color dress))

2 swatches I like for pillows (waiting for more swatches)

Toys normally decorate this open floor space : )

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

I am SO impressed by your work! I have always had the desire to learn upholstery and hear that a local art center may offer classes. You must have a lot of patience - that was always my downfall in sewing. Your chair is just beautiful! Can't wait to see your next project.

• massagerocks
    10 years ago

thank you for sharing! I too have always had a desire to re-upholster and this is very inspiring. Your chairs/sofa look amazing and your living room is beautiful. Thanks for the information, I'll check out the video's. I'd probably need a class though. I have an old worn-out but very well-made sofa and 2 chairs I'd love to give a try, but am afraid to go at it. Is it easier to do chairs or a sofa? Keep posting your projects, they're truly gorgeous.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MarinaGal - Thank you! I hope that you have the opportunity to take that class at your art center. If you do, please share your experience.
    You are right...patience is important! Taking out all the old staples & taking photos will be very time consuming. Putting the new materials on is like putting a puzzle back together : )

massagerocks - Thank you,too! I would start with a chair before going to a sofa. Some times, if a chair has coil springs,
    they may be in good shape and not need to be replaced or to be re-tied. I could have done this chair much faster if the webbing & spring ties weren't in such bad shape.
    Chairs are lighter in weight and take up less space which make it easier to work with. Also, chairs require a lot less fabric.

• natesgram
    10 years ago

The chairs look wonderful in your beautiful room. Those pictures are charming. I love the color of the girl's dress. That will be perfect to match for pillows. You have an amazing talent and I look forward to seeing what you do next.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

natesgram - Thank you very much : )
    After making the pillows, my next project will be drapery for a couple of bedrooms.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Very impressive and truly inspiring. How did you learn to do all this? If you can have any video recommendations, I'd appreciate it.

Your room looks so peaceful and pretty.

• Laurie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oldbat2be - Thank you : )
    My favorite book is Singer Upholstery Basics.
    The two online videos that helped me most with this chair were:
    Kims Upholstery : How to Upholster a Wooden Arm Chair
    and DIY Upholstery : How To Upholster A Chair.
    Below, is a link to Kim's video (I also emailed her with pictures & questions...she's very helpful!)

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Upholster A Wooden Arm Chair

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Laurie - thank you SO much!

• PRO
    Chairished Furnishings
    7 years ago

Wow - this is so beautiful and an excellent explanation of the process.

• tuesday_2008
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

That is beautiful! Blue pillows will look great - you could also use one orange/apricot pillow the shad of the mat on the picture by the window.

What color is your paint..I like it!

• Laurie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Chairished Furnishings - Thank you : ) I was surprised to see my post, again, after all this time. Hard to believe almost 3 years have past since I did this chair project.

It took me a few minutes to realize that your name was spelled "incorrectly" ...on purpose! Very clever : )

tuesday_2008 - Thank you : ) I really like your suggestion to add some of that rusty apricot color. I will seriously consider that!

The paint color is Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter.

• Yayagal
    7 years ago

Your family must be sooo proud of you, brava!!!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County