Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kgibbins_gw

Feedback Requested: Finishing Touches on Family Room

kgibbins
13 years ago

I am putting together the finishing touches on my family room. The TV stand and TV have me stumped.

Should I hang the TV on the wall and "decorate" the top of the console with books and nick knacks? If so, do you have any ideas and/or photos of examples?

Do you like these plants on either side?

Thanks for your feedback!

Comments (28)

• User
    13 years ago

What a nice room- very warm and inviting. Honestly, I think that the tv tv stand is what it is- and it's fine. I suppose that hanging the tv on the wall and then deocating the console could be nice but I have no ideas and probably would just leave it as is. As for the plants, they look fine but personally I would probably not have the 2 ( I know symmetry is a good thing) - I might just have one and then have something different like a magazine rack? basket? vase? on the other side.
    But really what a nice room!!

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

I think the tv looks fine too, and the room looks functional which is really the most important thing. to me the room doesn't look bare or sterile at all but really nice. I'm not too sure about the plants though..

• caminnc
    13 years ago

It is a beautiful cozy room but why do you have the sofa blocking the lovely hutch? I think it would give the room more balance if you move the sofa to the other side and put the two chairs in front of the hutch with the little wood table in between the chairs. I would put one of the plants at the other end of the hutch and I would also move the floor lamp to the end of the sofa. Hope you don't mind my suggestions, it is a very nice room.
    {{!gwi}}

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I agree with Sheilaaus122. Leave the TV wall as is. And I too would probably switch out one of the plants only because I find mirror-image symmetry too predictable. But, really, it looks great as it is.

I can see what Caminnc is going for, but I like the current set-up of the furniture. It makes the room look more open.

Tell us about the wall color, please. Love the area rug!

• ttodd
    13 years ago

I like symmetry and have a hard time decorating asymmetrically. I would either leave both plants or have neither and find something else. But that's just me - I have no vision when it comes to asymmetrical decorating and a reason that I rely on folks here to help me out when I know that it's needed.

Your room looks really, really nice and I like the little side table a lot.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I think it looks nice too. I would like a floor pot/vase of curly willow next to the right of the sofa and the hutch. It would be a lightweight vertical that would add some texture and break up the hard lines.

• dody40
    13 years ago

Is that a fireplace on the wall not showing? It looks to me like just a corner of it showing?

I love how you have it. If I was going to change anything, I would raise the plants up, but it is beautiful how you have it.

dody

• jjam
    13 years ago

I think it's a great room. I'm not opposed to symmetry, but the plants just seem too predictable and kind of weigh down the wall. I'd keep one and then put something else on the other side; maybe even a small chair, round table, something with some curves and perhaps some height to break up all the squares and rectangles.

It makes me want to have a seat and relax!

• camlan
    13 years ago

If you keep the plants, I'd put them on stands of some kind, so that the tops of the plants are not the same height as the TV stand. That would help to break up the strong horizontals that you have going on that wall.

• theresa2
    13 years ago

I love your room but I agree with caminnc that her furniture arrangement would be nice if it is doable. There may be some reason why you opted not to do it that way. I'm thinking a free floating couch is a problem as I'm sure you want some flexibility with lighting, hard to do without causing a trip hazard with the cord. Also, it may be that you don't want your view to be all about the back of the couch from other rooms. The only way you'll know for sure is to try it out, if you haven't already, and see if it works for you. The way you have it now, kind of opens the room to the other rooms in the house, shows off the rug, gives you flexibility of lighting and looks classy. I think your room is great. Maybe you could try pulling the couch away from the shelving unit, just an inch or two, to give it some air or possibly enough to create a minor walkway, but I'm not really sure about that. TV on the wall, totally not necessary IMO.

• kgibbins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You are all so wonderful and helpful. Thank you. I'm very appreciative. I'm thinking two plants is "too much" and might try it on one side, but not the other. I was trying to balance the big fireplace and big sectional.

In the meantime, here are pics of the entire room so you can see what I'm decorating around - a big fireplace, doors, opening, etc.

Of course, I"m trying to work with what I have and also what I have received from my parents.

I do cover the bottom of the hutch - perhaps I"ll try moving it out a bit as suggested. Regarding moving it to the other side, it would then block the fireplace (which you didn't see before).

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Your room in beautiful, warm and inviting. The only change I would make is to remove both of the plants. Perhaps, put one on the hearth in lie of the basket. Otherwise, leave it just as it is.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I LOVE your rooms but I would paint the grill under the hall table the wall color. I have also painted electrically cords a wall color to blend in.
    I may be extreme, but with an extension cord, run the lamp cord down the side of the table to the floor then back up the grill to the outlet. Paint the cord whatever it needs to be to blend. Use wire and tiny nails to keep it taut.

And I think a chunky pottery vase with curly willow would be great instead of the basket on the hearth.

• jjam
    13 years ago

I think I'm in love....your house is fabulous. The only thing I'd change is removing one of the plants as you said. Remeber, Coco Chanel's saying; when you think you're fully dressed, take one thing off..... I think it works for interiors, too!

• caminnc
    13 years ago

Thank you for posting additional pictures. Your home is just wonderful. I really love it. If you could cheat 18" between the sofa and hutch it would be perfect.

• kgibbins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone. It sounds like I'm moving in the right direction.

I have heard a few times about moving the couch out from the hutch. I tried it - see what you think. Is the couch too floating out there or do you like it better?

Also, I was asked about the walls. I ended up doing a seagrass/cloth wallpaper. This covered the original paneling which had been painted white.

Here is a pic:

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I would put the tv up on the wall. I would not put too much below it but it would make a nice focal point higher up. If you moved it up a foot, it would give better balance to that wall.

• donnawb
    13 years ago

Beautiful room. It looks much better now that you have moved the sectional out a little from the hutch.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I agree with others.... a lovely room and your rug is just stunning.

• les917
    13 years ago

A wonderful, cozy room!

I would mount the tv on the wall, to balance the height of the hutch and the fireplace. I would then slide the console cabinet over to the left, so that the mounted tv was not centered over it, but the right side of the cabinet was just a couple of inches to the right of the tv. That would be the place I would use one of the baskets of plants. Once the console is shifted left, you could place a pretty lamp on the left end of the console top.

I think you need to pull the sectional out from the hutch even a little more, so that essentially you have a walkway between the sectional and the hutch. I would also look to add some other interesting pottery pieces in reds or patterns that echo the feel of the rug.

I would also slide the hutch to the left, so that it was just over the plug. Not centering it behind the sectional will help open the space. The other basket of plants could go on the end of the hutch that faces the kitchen.

I love the rug, but I would turn it the other way, so that the fringe is coming out the side of the sectional near the hutch, and the whole side that faces the kitchen has rug under it. It feels odd to me when I look at the back of the sectional, which is what people will often see, and see fringe coming out from under it, and then just in one part.

I would take the print pillows from each end of the sectional and place them on the wood chairs. It will warm up that seating a bit, and pull some of the pattern to that area of the seating. The sectional will also seem a bit more inviting with a few less pillows on it.

FInally, tho I love the fireplace as it is, I think the contrast in planes is lost with it all painted white. I would consider painting the more recessed left side and the brick on the underside of the hearth in a color halfway between the white and what is on the walls.

• trancegemini_wa
    13 years ago

I didnt even notice the couch was up against the hutch before but I like it better now, the hutch is very pretty and if you could pull the sectional out more I would do it so it gets seen.

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

I think pull the rug and sectional out a bit more away from the hutch. and then I think it is wonderful. I wouldnt change anything else

• teacats
    13 years ago

What a warm, welcoming home!!

Just adore your seagrass walls -- wonderful texture!

Love that you have pulled the sofa out from the hutch -- and yes! do try to pull the rug out a bit too ....that is a GORGEOUS rug!!! :)

I do like the plants on each side of the TV -- but for a change -- try one plant on the left-hand side and move the TV to the right very slightly.

I do like the idea of trying the kilim cushions on the two wood chairs -- again -- a nice fast change! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• alicate
    13 years ago

I'd keep pulling it out even more. MUCH better that way. The room is really looking nice!

• gastroc
    13 years ago

KGibbins, you're doing an excellent job. Your room is gorgeous. I love that fireplace wall!

I agree with the others that the sectional looks best pulled away from the hutch. It looks very nice as it is now but I'd suggest moving it out even a bit more, at least enough to walk behind the sofa.

• User
    13 years ago

Really pretty room! I don't have a lot to add, other than I love the houseplants right where they are. They add some life to all the reds and browns. I also like the suggestion to add some pillows or some softness to the two wood chairs, that would cozy them up a bit. But overall I think your room is great and that hutch is so pretty.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Such a lovely room! I, too like the couch pulled out, away from the hutch and yes...try pillows on the chairs~

• kgibbins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Based on the variety of feedback, here is what I have decided:

- Maybe on the plants... still debating

- Pulled out the couch from the hutch by about 15 inches. While I'd like there to be room to walk behind it and pull it out more, it's not feasible with the location of the TV for viewing, so I'll have to live with it like that.

- I ordered two additional kilm pillow (more of the vertical ones):

http://www.grandinroad.com/jump.jsp?item=41141%20ADA&maincatcode=null&subcatcode=null&itemID=29086&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C3171%2C4729&iProductID=29086

- I'm going to hang the TV on the wall to counterbalance the hutch and fireplace, and then see about whether to add anything to the TV console.

Final questions: 1) thinking about adding a small table or something to the end of the sofa toward the TV. 2.) thinking about some kind of window treatment on the patio doors and kitchen windows - perhaps a dark brown roman shade.