Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sashasmommy_gw

Eggplant on the walls

sashasmommy
13 years ago

I have day-dreamed for a long time about painting walls eggplant. We have an eggplant wall at work and it's so pretty. Does anyone have any photos of your room with an eggplant wall (or walls)?

Comments (24)

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I am working on a dark purple color for our dining room and shared dining room/den wall. I have so many dark purple swatches and like them all.... sigh....

• tobler
    13 years ago

My parents had dark, shiny purple paint on their living room walls. It was "aubergine" and done by the decorator. It was dramatic and wonderful. When they moved out we had to pay to paint the room white! Most people have no imagination.

• lkplatow
    13 years ago

We have a dark purple in our finished basement. It's Expressive Plum by Sherwin Williams. It doesn't photograph well - in all my pics, it looks kind of flaming grape juice purple, when in actuality it's a deep burgandy/plum color. I was going to attach pics, but I realized I don't have any recent ones (where the basement is actually finished) so I'll take some today or tomorrow and post them. But the color will probably still be off -- something about the flash does not do the color any favors.

I really like the color -- it makes an awesome home theatre room -- but a word of warning - if you go wtih a dark purploe, spring for the expensive paint (e.g. Duration). We had originally painted it in some midgrade paint that was supposedly especially good for dark colors but it buffed and burnished if you so much as looked at the wall the wrong way. We had to repaint the whole basement after a couple weeks because the walls were so marked up - what a pain! But worth it -- the duration is holding up much better.

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

Well you'll have to look fast because it will be repainted soon but I have a room with an eggplant alcove. It was a guest room at one time but the dark headboard was lost on the purple. It's now an office alcove. Not a great shot of it in either incarnation but you get the idea. The color is - are you ready for this? - B/M 1379....Eggplant. It was a breeze to paint, covered beautifully and has held up for more years than I'm willing to admit but let's just say more than 10.

• rmkitchen
    13 years ago

This is our dining room. It photographs more oxblood than aubergine but I think of it as aubergine. We have the walls and ceiling painted this color and I really like it!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

dlm - which pic is more accurate? I was hoping for a purple like your first one. I don't recall seeing this name as one of the ones I saw today of BM....

• sashasmommy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great pictures, thanks! What a great idea to use in a theater/media room... unfortunately ours has one brick wall and I think the purple would go horribly with it. I am thinking about doing it in my office... the only other room that's not already spoken for is the living room, but it's adjacent to the dining room which will be gold and red so that probably won't look good.

• maymo
    13 years ago

This is Nostalgic by Glidden. I have it in my kitchen and it's deeper than what is showing on my computer screen. I'll see if I have a pic of the kitchen to post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nostalgic

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

dianalo I'm sitting in that chair right now and looking at the wall. It's overcast, I don't have a light on and have to say the wall reads very dark, darker even than the first pic above. In that pic, the wall color beneath the small lamp is 'brighter' than at the top of the wall where no light hits. As with any color, so much depends on the light whether natural or artificial. It's a deep, rich color, very saturated and not grayed. Beyond that I think you'd have to test it for yourself - hope that helps.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I'll have to stop by the Bm place today or tomorrow to try to see it. I am hoping for dark like your first pic. The second one looks too light and seems to have a hot pink tone to it on my monitor. Purple is a very tough color to get just right and with such a deep color, I am being extra careful!

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

This is from a Google Images search for Farrow and Ball Brinjal.

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

Oh I totally understand. Flash does funky things to color and every monitor reads differently. The only sure thing is to see it in person. I can tell you that there is nothing hot pink about it in my room - not even sort of!

• User
    13 years ago

Here's some set pics from the HBO movie Grey Gardens--I really wanted to paint my walls aubergine after seeing this LR.

• pammyfay
    13 years ago

Not exactly "eggplant," but I just saw over at the Apartment Therapy site that Benjamin Moore's "Color of 2011" is Vintage Wine. I love both the eggplant colors here and the Vintage Wine over there. Here's the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Apt. Therapy

• sashasmommy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Love it! Thanks for all the posts...

• tracey_b
    13 years ago

That last picture--THAT's the eggplant I'm after. Mine is okay, but not fabulous like that one.

Anyone notice the eggplant DR on the show The Good Wife? Wonder what that color is.....

I'm too lazy to save the pic, upload it, then paste it here (or is there a quicker way to post online pics?):

Here is a link that might be useful: Eggplant DR on The Good Wife

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

This one?

• tracey_b
    13 years ago

Yes, Kitchendetective--that's the one. The DR from "The Good Wife". Not as deep a color as the photo prior to that one, but still a lovely shade. The blog about TGW calls it "Deep eggplant"--maybe the lighting brightened it up.

• kayec28
    13 years ago

I don't have a camera, or I'd take a picture of my front door which is painted an eggplant color(Sherwin Williams Plum Brown) with a lighter purple accent (SW Expressive Plum). They're both very good colors. I couldn't find a good online picture to show you.

Not eggplant but a beautiful color in the purple family, and hell must be freezing over because I'm about to recommend a paint color that has the word mauve in it, but I ran across this photo online the other day of a designer's living room, and, well, I'm sold. This ain't your grandmother's mauve... :)

Mauve Mist --Pratt and Lambert

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Olychick
    11 years ago

oops wrong thread, sorry.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I painted the wall behind my sofa Martha stewarts purple elderberry.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

NOt a room, obviously, but we painted our shed purple. The trim color is Valspar Twilight Purple, which is an awesome inky purple. The main color is BM Cupid's Dart mixed in Valspar. I have some trim pieces i need to add, but it got too hot and humid.

• sloyder
    11 years ago

How about BM Aura Caponata, a real nice rich deep purple.