Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodbyekitty_gw

BM Gray Owl with woven shades

goodbyekitty
10 years ago

We've painted our living room gray owl and I have always wanted woven shades. But when I was looking at drapery fabric (Graber) to go with cool toned shades everything looked "off". I really liked the cream tone fabric with the woven shades but I don't know if it would clash with my gray owl walls. I'm really at a handicap when it comes to decorating. Need to shop more, I know there is more than Graber.

Maybe it's me, maybe it's hard to tell with small swatches. I look on Houzz and there are a few warmed toned woven shades with cool toned fabric that look wonderful.

Am I overthinking this? I always do that, afraid of making a mistake.

Comments (8)

• Baroo2u
    10 years ago

I also have trouble making decor decisions, especially with things like shades that are custom, expensive and non-refundable. Posting a photo of your room and a color swatch of the shades would help...

• tuxedord2
    10 years ago

Your post reminded me of "For the Love of a House" kitchen. She has her kitchen painted in Gray Owl, but uses warm tones and woven shades throughout. It's gorgeous. See this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: For the Love of a House

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

I have GO throughout the house. I am still turning naked windows into dressed ones. Currently I am waiting for backordered woven shades from JCP to arrive for the window and slider in this room, but I thought I'd show you my space.

Panels and blinds are from JCP. Too many windows in this house to do anything but ready made.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and see the full size woven shades, better yet take a photo of your living room wall or throw some of the paint on a piece of paper. Find some tones you like in the blinds and hold the paint sample up to see how they look. I can't see any reason why a warm cream wouldn't look good with gray.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

What color is your window trim? I recently got off-white roman shades from the bedroom and I matched the window trim as closely as possible. That's where I think any off-ness would show up.

A darker contrasting color shade would also work and might be a good opportunity to add a design element.

Can you arrange an in-home consultation where they come to measure and bring the books with them to view onsite?

• goodbyekitty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. I feel encouraged to go outside the box with cream or warm tones against my GO paint. I think I was trying to be too "matchy" anyway.

That was a lovely link Lesmobo. Beekeeper thanks for reminding me about Home Depot and Lowes! I walk by their dislays all the time and forgot they do custom window treatments. (plus I have a $35 dollar credit there =D )

• amykath
    10 years ago

Just had to say I am in love with your dining room Beekeeper! So lovely! That table and chairs are delicious!

• Trish Cbone
    5 years ago

I recently painted living room gray owl with white trim... going only with shades/blinds (no curtain) and am still debating if I should go white, gray, or wood colored.... would love to see what you decided