Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dorry2

Buffet lamps

dorry2
10 years ago

I am looking for a pair of buffet lamps for the dinihg room of a coastal home. I will post some pics of the actual room so you get a feel for th space. The room will be painted a coastal, soft blue, Ben Moore white dove for the trim.

The dining table is pine with distressed, turned linen legs. The buffet is Paula Deen, oatmeal finish with three rattan baskets. The first picture is a shell mirror I thought might work above the buffet?? Thoughts?

What is a challenge is finding a pair of lamps that will blend with the casual feel of the furniture. I seem to gravitate to prettier, nicer, more formal lamps, but I need casual. The hanging shell is somewhat contemporary with an edge, which might work, the more I look at these lamps, I have already ruled one out.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (18)

• amykath
    10 years ago

Is the last picture of your room space? If not, I never saw a photo of your room.

I am of the opinion less is more. If you use a shell mirror then go with regular lamps that lend themselves to the airy feeling you are going for. That is just my two cents.

Looking forward to the photo and if the one in the last pic is yours it is gorgeous!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Aktillery is saying just what I was going to. Since we don't see the room, we don't know what 'color' you may be wanting in buffet lamps, as we see different metal colors in your examples above. I think a beachy lamp will call attention away from the mirror. I'd do a simple pair of buffet lamps, perhaps with shades that pull in your accessory colors.

I love shopping on eBay and Craigslist for unique vintage items. These that I found on eBay under a search for 'buffet lamp pair' aren't vintage, but just an example.

The Maria Buffet Lamp at Ballard Designs is a brass tone simple beauty also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Silver S/2 Twisted Rope TABLE LAMPS Set/Pair Column Buffet Candlestick

• dorry2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is there a quick way to upload from an ipad? Can I only post one photo at a tie using the image file upload option above? I have posted pictures many time and use photobucket...just trying to figure out a quicker more efficient want to post multiple pictures. Here is the wall opposite the buffet. Another one coming

• dorry2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dining room table with buffet. Table is a distresed piece, pine too, turned legs,

{{!gwi}}

• amykath
    10 years ago

Your second photo did not load.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I agree with the others....you want to sprinkle the theme and support it with colors and style and mood...too much becomes kitschy rather than chic.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I think the last lamp, the starfish one, is quite nice, but I think two of them would be one too many. Do you need two? If one would work, I might do that with a more simple style mirror.

• teacats
    10 years ago

MOP lamp and on sale! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: LP -- lamp

• teacats
    10 years ago

Lamps Plus -- capiz shell lamp

Here is a link that might be useful: LP -- capiz shell lamp

• teacats
    10 years ago

Fascinating bleached wood and chrome modern beach style

Here is a link that might be useful: LP -- Bleached wood and chrome modern lamp

• teacats
    10 years ago

Lighter wood lamps .....

Here is a link that might be useful: LP -- lighter mango wood lamps

• teacats
    10 years ago

Lamps with basket style -- might work well with the baskets in your table ....

Here is a link that might be useful: LP -- lamp with basket style

• maggieq
    10 years ago

Two lamps will make the space much more formal, regardless of the style of lamp. How about just one?

• dorry2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of the dining table, distressed pine top. The walls will be painted blue, the plate is randomly placed and forgot to remove when pic was taken!!

• amykath
    10 years ago

What a beautiful room!! What color blue are you using?

I agree one larger lamp would look best IMHO.

Just curious, where is your coastal home?

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Teacats, I love the first lamp. It feels like many surroundings would work with it. Personal taste probably.

Agree with only one lamp and tie in another different one. Apologies, but I am not fond of the first ones you showed.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

GORGEOUS room. I love your table. I think we have the same table and chairs in our breakfast room.

Unanimous agreement on the lamps, too many lamps like cooks can spoil the pot. Stay with one lamp and the pretty shell mirror.

• User
    9 years ago

I like the lamp in the link above, but buffet lamps are supposed to be very tall, 17" would be very short for that purpose. If you could find that lamp in a 24 to 27" height it would be perfect.

You already have three framed sea-theme pictures In the room. Honestly, I think a shell mirror would be absolutely as much seaside as the room could take in addition to the prints. Shell lamps are a little too theme-y, IMO. If you are new to your coastal area you may want to make minimal purchases of seaside theme artwork, furnishings and accessories. I have seen many people furnish a home in that style, only to redo it all a few years later.