Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

what color for mcm wall unit?

rockybird
10 years ago

I bought this wall unit on etsy. When I received it, it was in worse shape than I had thought. I am having it refinsihed and painted. The carpenter picked it up at my house. He says it is in good shape and a quality piece (which makes me feel better about buying it). He has the orange and yellow parts repainted, but cant get a paint color to match the avocado green. As he is about 20 miles from me, we are trying to do this over the phone. He suggested I paint those doors black. I dont know what to do...black or white? Would robin's egg blue be too much color? Maybe I should have just painted the panels robins egg blue and white and not tried to match the original colors? I could have him paint it olive green, but what if he picks the wrong color? He said the paint is expensive. Thanks!

Comments (19)

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I think I would go with black if I could not supervise the selection of olive. Black will just make it sort of recede and not overwhelm if the color is not right. White will make it stick out like gauze on a sore thumb. I don't know about the robin's egg blue. I would not but we all have different tastes.

• duvetcover
    10 years ago

Google "Eames Storage Unit" for some ideas. A good paint store could
    give you some ideas re an "avocado green Eames color" - maybe match it
    to your computer image? Benjamin Moore has some colors that might
    work - avocado 2145-10 - or one of its shades. The cost of a few sample pints would be worth it? It's a great piece of furniture.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Pick a different color from something already in your palette. If you like robin's egg blue and have used it somewhere else, great. Or pick a different green that you think works with the other colors.

I think black or white with the other existing colors would be a mistake.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

20 miles isn't 100 miles. Any way you can take the time to get there in person?
    You will be looking at this piece every day for years. I agree to that black or white would be a mistake.

• chucksmom
    10 years ago

In this day and age if he can't find a paint store that could match the paint, I'm not sure I'd want him to touch the piece at all.
    Really, he's a professional????

• graywings123
    10 years ago

He should be able to pop one of the doors off, take it to a paint store and have them match the paint.

• finallyhome
    10 years ago

Stick with the olive. I don't think black or white, and especially not the blue, would work.

• emilymch
    10 years ago

What a great piece! I agree that he should be able to pop the door off and take it to have the avocado green matched. I've found that Home Depot is much better at color matching than Lowe's (don't laugh, everyone - I buy cheap paint!).

If you want to go with robin's egg blue though, I think that would look great with the orangey red - very period appropriate. It would remind me of this kitchen, which is one of my favorites:

• swickbb
    10 years ago

Great piece. I know the feeling about wanting to keep colors the same but in the end you are the one that will be looking at it. Paint it a color that will make you smile when you look at it. If that's Robin's egg blue then go for it.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Olive...that is such a cool piece and the colors work. Yes, he should take a door to the paint shop..most have computer programs for matching.

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

I agree with others that the paint should be able to be matched by a paint store professional. If it were me, I would keep the avocado color. That is a spectacular piece! Good luck!

• rockybird
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all! I will call him on Monday to find out why he cant get that color. I remember he had told me he needed special paint for this and that is was pretty expensive.

yillimuh-I LOVE that kitchen. Can you give me links to it? I absolutely love the backsplash and cabs. I am going to try the blue on microsoft paint and see how it looks.

And thanks for the compliments on the piece! I had reservations after buying it, but it's nice to hear others like it also.

• emilymch
    10 years ago

Rockybird, here's a blog post that has more pictures of the kitchen:

http://athomeathome.blogspot.com/2010/07/judy-kameon.html

I can't remember where I first saw it, but I fell in love instantly! I'm in the early planning stages of our eventual kitchen renovation (we have a 1958 split-level that has some mcm details, but is NOTHING like your house!) and it is one of my main inspiration kitchens.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you yillimuh! That house in the pics i posted is not my house...it's the seller's pics, so maybe her house? I also have an mcm home though that I am in a constant state of remodeling.

I cant get over those upper cabinets, I just love the look of the wood and orange and blue. I want them somewhere in my house. I am still working on my house and I wonder if there is a way to incorporate similar cabs into my home. I'm thinking of adding a walk-in pantry. I wonder if it would be crazy if it doesnt totally match the kitchen? Or the built in credenza? or laundry room? I guess that would be a separate thread lol.

• emilymch
    10 years ago

Oh, I know your house, rockybird! Its one of my favorites here - completely memorable, and totally amazing. I love it when you post! I'm on the east coast, so houses like yours don't exist here much, but I'm trying to play up the midcentury lines and character of my house in a way that's appropriate.

I know how you feel about that kitchen - the colors and textures there are so perfect. I hopy you can find a way to work it in somewhere. Start the thread - I'll be there! :)

• rockybird
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much yillimuh for the compliment on my house! It means a lot!

I forgot to mention that I LOVE the green stove in their kitchen!

Okay, I updated my kitchen post to include pics of the cabs you now have me craving! Trying to decide if I should make some changes to kitchen. Would love to see pics of your mcm...from your door post, it looks awesome!

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen post

• amykath
    10 years ago

It was suggested to me in another post that I share this shade of green.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you akillry. I will look for that color also.

I spoke with the refinisher today and he said it is a special spray lacquer based paint. He told me what to look for and said to go to HD or a hobby shop to check out colors. So I guess I will do that this weekend.

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

rockybird, congrats on finding such a cool piece! I love the orange suggested above, but I could see it in a robins egg blue. Can you post some pics of where the piece will sit in the room so we can get some context of what the other colors are in the room?