Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_mocha

Suggestions for coffee table?

lisa_mocha
9 years ago

Hi All,
I had an earlier post asking for advice on a new sofa and chairs (done!)...now it's on to a new coffee table:)

We have pine cabinet in corner, and a pine console table behind sofa. ( if you didn't see post, new sofa will be ivory coloured linen slipcovered style.

On 1 wall is the bow front ivory cabinet and opposite is the light coloured console table ( with the Christmas decorations... Pics below)

The pine blanket box will not stay there...

I'm thinking of a glass coffee table to keep the space open.
With the different finishes already in this room, I'm not sure what to do.

Would either of these tables work? Or any other suggestions for a coffee table? A few images to follow...

Option 1

This post was edited by lisa_mocha on Tue, Jan 27, 15 at 23:40

Comments (36)

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another option

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry for the multiple posts...not able to post images all together!
    Existing furniture ...

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lastly, the table (with Christmas decor)that is on the opposite wall from the bow front ivory cabinet.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

A glass table seems too light to compete with the scale of the upholstered furniture. How about something like this?

• amykath
    9 years ago

That's a beauty Beverly!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

While those tables are lovely, I'd rather see something more consistent with the other pieces...maybe with a turned leg...
    {{gwi:2139905}}

• kidrowlam
    9 years ago

Firstly I want to congratulate you for this stunning tables as well as interiors. Well for me the first table which is rounded will look extremely well. Round table brings closeness and is ideal for discussing anything creative. If you could add a beige coloured or ivory coloured rug then it will look lovely.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like Beverly's suggestion of a seagrass table. Goes great with your beach theme, keeps it light and airy, but adds another texture.

Glass is so tricky. It shows dust so easily, as well as finger prints, You have to constantly be cleaning it.

(A seagrass table you'd vacuum!).

Otherwise, I"d go for maybe a wood table painted a striking blue.

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions...all are lovely. I do like the idea of Seagrass table...never thought of that one. My only concern is that I have some odd allergies and we did purchase a Seagrass rug before...It arrived and had such a strong odour! I was an allergic mess:(

The new sofa will be a little smaller in scale than the existing shown in pic...similiar style but 7" less wide, lower arms & solid ivory color.

We currently have a pine coffee table (I'd been trying the blanket box as shown above) I thought the pine table was a little heavy looking...maybe I could just try painting the legs off white with chalk paint??

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I love the seagrass table. We have a round one at our lake condo and it came with a glass top, which makes it much easier for drinks, etc. If you decide on that one, you might consider getting a piece of glass for it. It's not that hard to keep it clean(er). And we did not notice any odor.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yes! I'd just paint that table. You have got so much white in there, though, already. I'd paint it a chalk yellow or blue to break up all the white but keep the beach thing going.

Btw, painting that won't be terribly easy. Pardon me if you already know this stuff, but my house is entirely pine, so I've learned the hard way.

First you have to sand the table. Then you have to put at least two coats on BIN on it so that the pine knots won't bleed through your paint. Then you paint it.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Wed, Jan 28, 15 at 9:05

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

See examples

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again for the feedback:)
    I've not painted pine before, but may give it a try. Thank you for the tips Tibbrix! ( My mom is an expert on refinishing furniture... She re- did many pieces that have been in the family cottage we've owned for 110 years! It was a work of love, but her refinishing days are over, lol)

My husband likes something like this... Too much with chrome legs??

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much Beverly for the mock-ups! I'd missed these ...must have been posting at same time.
    I actually quite like both,but do like the idea of the Seagrass with a glass top.
    It will certainly add texture to the room that is needed as quite monochromatic. I'll do a little on line looking later today....

Thanks again:)

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

You're going to have lots of shades of white/ivory/camel in the room and adding a coffee table with another shade of white is going to be overkill and not very interesting, I'd paint your existing table as the style is more in keeping with the rest of your furniture and you could use a little pop of color in the room.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

I think Tib is spot on with a blue table. Your room is so lovely I think a painted table is the icing on the cake!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

The seagrass table is an ottoman. No glass top can be added because of the curved edges

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Beverly for bringing this to my attention...I'd missed the curved edges. I just ordered PB furniture last week and did not see this in-store.
    I'll be considering this as an option for sure...

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Zgallerie.com has an actual sea grass coffee table for $299.99.

• ttodd
    9 years ago

Lisa_Mocha

If you're open to painting the base of the pine table why not try painting the base a pale blue or sage green instead of white? If you like it very much then paint the top too.

I liked Tib's suggestion of a painted table and think that it would work well, but if I recall correctly, isn't your home very light and white or weren't you working towards that?

Of the 2 original tables that you posted I like the 2nd one best but don't thin that it mixes we'll w/ your side table, which I like very much!

I will second a glass top of purchasing a seagrass table. DH bought a glass topper for ours when we still had it.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Lisa, I think that the table you posted with the wood top and metal base is perfect. I know it doesn't match everything else exactly, but that is why I like it. It it is nice to see something different and yet still complimentary to your other furniture.

• ttodd
    9 years ago

I meant console/ hall table - not side table! Oops.

And I kinda take back what I said about painting the base a pale blue or sage green. I like your original idea of cream/ white base to start.

This post was edited by TheFoxesPad on Thu, Jan 29, 15 at 8:42

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all for weighing in...
    I suppose I have nothing to lose by trying to paint the existing coffee table. I do love the idea of blue, but in all likelihood, will keep this room monochromatic. I find it peaceful... Maybe bland, but nonetheless, peaceful. After hectic workdays, I need that 'Ahhhh' feeling at home, lol.
    FoxesPad, you're correct...I do have a lot of white/ ivory throughout my home.
    Don't get me wrong, I love pops of color too! I'd prefer to add this in with pillows and artwork.

To prove it, lol...prints off my family room. White sofas, blue walls and pops of color. This wall leads up to 3rd floor master bdrm so is an off-white. Shocker:)

What I could do is have that blue painted table in family room( opposite these prints) and remove the white one. Now there's a thought:)

• aputernut
    9 years ago

What is the look you are going for? because you sure have a few going on there, pine is far from beachy, to me it is cabin like or even colonial, for me I would paint all the pine and change the hardware, but that's just me, in my house if it don't fit, it get's painted. LOL

• decordummy_gw
    9 years ago

If you prefer less colour, I think I would paint the pine coffee table a littler darker version of the dark stripe on the toss cushion (on my monitor it looks like a grey-ish sage green), or a darker version of the darkest colour in the sofa.

• teacats
    9 years ago

A vote to simply re-paint all of the existing pine pieces in the same white as the half-moon cabinet .....

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Looks like cute cottage decor to me, hence you're, waning to maintain the monochromatic color scheme? A wood (painted) and glass table might be the way to go. The glass/ metal read too modern, IMO.

Here is a link that might be useful: coffee table

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

I do love the that seagrass ottoman and I need one..hmmmm.

OT, could you share the name of the artist of your prints?

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm leaning toward Seagrass or ivory table( surprise! Ha!)
    Patty...that table could def. work! Looks very close in color to the off white console table.
    I came across a round ivory one with glass too...all very inexpensive.
    The wooden one with the x chrome legs posted above was all of $200 yesterday...today...under $100! I guess my DH could get in for ' man-land' aka his office basement space.

Dee... The artist is Jose Valverde Alcalde. I'd lived in Halifax, NS before moving to Ontario. These prints are from the South Shore of NS in Mahoney Bay and Chester...very quaint towns if you ever have the chance to visit Cdn east coast. They're my piece of home... My ' happy space' prints:)
    I have a few more of his pieces...all colourful.

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry...tried to post link to Valverde's studio & didn't work.

www.valverdestudiogallery.com

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

Thanks, Lisa! I think I'm going to order one of his prints.

• cozyplace
    9 years ago

Just want to weigh in with my opinion. I LOVE your room. So peaceful, so calming, so tranquil, so lovely!

I like several of the ideas for a table, the seagrass being really my favorite, but for me, personally, I need a real table top. Glass is so hard to keep clean.

I, too, like neutral in all my furniture and add color in area rug, pillows and art work.

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your comments:)
    K9arlene, another good option, thanks!

Dee...I love his work. I'm the queen of no colour with ivory/white, but these prints I still adore. Love the vivid colors in them...below are the other 2 I have. There's one called Spinnakers that I've considered buying... Just need more walls:) Growing up, we did some sailing on the east coast and we have a family cottage there. I guess that's my love of the water!

Cozy place...thank you:) I'm always torn, but calm colors win out for me.
    Perhaps when new furniture arrives, I'll change up the paint color.

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dee...here's the other one I have. It was the 1st one I bought @ 16 yrs ago ( the 3 churches Mahoney Bay)

• kswl2
    8 years ago

The first table looks best---the wood tone of the legs is perfect, and the glass top is brilliant! I think it's great to have some slightly unexpected element in rooms and the glass table does that well. The wood tables, meh....just what you'd expect.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz