Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

where to find adjustable length pendant lights?

Fori
9 years ago

Howdy!

I'm trying to find two pendants for my kitchen that will be mounted on a sloped ceiling so not only do they need to come in different lengths (preferably field adjustable) but they also need to be able to mount on a slope.

And to make it more challenging, they need to conform to CA's Title 24 regulations, which means GU24 or LED sockets. (I've decided at this point that I don't care what the bulb looks like.)

Rejuvenation is a great place for Title 24 lighting (as well as assorted lengths to order) and they make some that would physically work but they're too classic (or too MCM). I want something sort of streamlined and unfussy that won't look weird near a Nelson bubble light.

Any suggestions on where I can find something like this?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Hi fori,

If you find pendants that you like with an E26 base, you should be able to take them to a local lighting shop and have them re-lamped to the GU24 connector to satisfy Title 24. It is not the screw-in adaptor, they actually re-wire and you should pass inspection.

The shop we purchased from will re-lamp for $25(?) per socket, and they do volume discounts (I think ours ended up being $15/socket).

Good luck!

• crl_
    9 years ago

House of antique hardware has a lot of pendants. The one linked below is on a chain so I would think you could adjust the height easily. Not sure about CA compliance--will they ship to CA if not compliant?

I know I have seen the CA thing on Pottery Barn so maybe check there.

Also Lamps Plus is located in SF, so I would think their stock would be CA compliant, maybe check their website. If you find something you like on there, you might try asking for a price break. I once emailed asking for a dimension that wasn't listed on an entryway light and they answered promptly and offered a discount (the size was wrong for me so I didn't take them up on it.)

Here is a link that might be useful: House of antique hardware pendant

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Big box stores sell pendant light kits of varying lengths, one/ two/three/four pendants. The three light kit we purchased allowed us to hang the pendants at any length we chose. They come without shades so you could purchase any shade that suits you. Stores that sell light fixtures sell shades separately also. It really is very easy to customize the look you want to your exact needs.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

What do you want it to Look like, though? Ideas on shape or size?

• Fori
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all--great ideas. I did find some nice shades at my local bigbox but they only had incandescent fixtures to go with them. I'll have to check the other one.

I didn't even consider changing out the guts of a normal fixture. If I find something I really like that is an excellent option!

Schoolhouse Electric, if anyone else has this problem, will stick a GU24 socket on just about anything that fits one too, like Rejuvenation.

CA can install incandescent fixtures, just a certain percentage of fixtures in a remodel have to be high efficiency. So there's no problem shipping stuff here.

What do they need to look like? Uh...I don't know. (I had actually decided to just use cans at one point so I could avoid this, but they would have been too obvious with the sloped ceiling.) I want them to be smaller than a basketball and really bright. Something appropriate for a fifties house but not something so retro it looks like I'm trying to make it look like a fifties house. Glass shade, chrome or brass (or white if it's that kind of fixture that just hangs by its cord). Dangly.

My ceiling is still open so I can switch to a large single fixture over the island (although spouse does not like old fashioned billiard lights, alas!).

See? I'm not picky!

Thanks! :)