Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alohamillion123

kitchen/ greatroom ideas

alohamillion123
9 years ago

I have cross posted this in kitchens as well. But here is my predicament. I am attaching a photo of the house we will be purchasing soon. The peninsula makes the kitchen feel small and boxed in so that will be removed. There is an open eat in area in front of the patio sliders and then the family room area behind that. I am not interested in keeping the eat in area as is. I ideally would like to expand a center island from the kitchen into the eat in area and then have seating on the island that we could still enjoy the backyard patio slider views. I would also hope to make the entire three spaces more cohesive and feel like one long area. I am having problems finding anything to use as an inspiration photo to show to local kitchen design professionals. Does anyone have something similar to what I am trying to describe? or have some feedback or ideas for me? Much thanks for any helpful advice!

Comments (15)

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

I have a similar space. I can try to post some pictures tomw.

Do you know the dimensions of your space? Are you keeping existing cabinets?

• jmc01
    9 years ago

Dos the flooring extend under the peninsula or will you have to also deal with patching/replacing the entire floor?

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I am wondering what the other side of the 'fridge looks like? Doorway? Room for more cabinets? If there is a wall there then it seems very possible to extend the cupboards and use the "dining" space for an island. If not just remember removing the peninsula will only give you the FEEL of a bigger space..the kitchen footprint, work area, really can't grow along the opposite wall, into the living space, with the slider door there.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

"The peninsula makes the kitchen feel small and boxed in so that will be removed."

I don't enjoy sitting at a kitchen island{{gwi:807}} or a high pub table, especially perched on a stool. Lately I am seeing more pictures of a table and chairs{{gwi:807}} in the kitchen instead of a massive island......have really liked pictures of large square tables where two people can sit abreast on each side.

This post was edited by kswl on Thu, Jan 15, 15 at 7:37

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Agree with Kswl....I would not give up a table and chairs for an island with high seating....it's just not comfortable for any length of time and hard for some people to navigate.

I think I would live there for a bit before I made any big changes. It looks like a beautiful house....congratulations!

• kidrowlam
    9 years ago

To my surprise enormously sized fridge is peeping out from the shelves which makes it an odd one out. Please if you feel you can make space for it somewhere else. Moreover, I hardly see a rug anywhere, don't you feel chilly in winters walking bare foot?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Are you thinking of something more like this where formal dining is integrated with the kitchen?

[Contemporary Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Scottsdale Interior Designers & Decorators Ownby Design

We have seating at our island which is at counter height so easy to sit at vs. bar height islands...but for dining, I would still prefer table height.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

In this example, the integration comes from the dining table having the same wood and counter as the rest of the kitchen....the aisle and the lighting helping to create a separate feel...

{{gwi:2139864}}

[Contemporary Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Austin General Contractors Butterfield Custom Homes

(edited to include the picture, doh!)

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Thu, Jan 15, 15 at 10:35

• amck2
    9 years ago

I'm offering another point of view re; counter height seating vs. table height. For day-to-day - not big holiday meals - my DH & I, my grown kids & grands and our older parents all enjoy eating and relaxing at the island.

Key is having comfortable chairs with back support . It is easier for me (when my back is out after shoveling, etc.) to slide on & off the counter stool compared to easing myself down and raising myself up from a dining chair. Same is true for my elderly Dad with his bad legs. It's also important to have rungs to rest your feet.

We use our island like a large gathering table and I set it nicely with placemats & napkins for all our meals. Especially after installing a big window in our remodel, it's a light-filled friendly space to share a meal.

I like having a DR for special meals, but if I had to give one up, I'd choose the big island over the table. In that case, I'd buy (or rent) a nice foldaway table, rearrange furniture, and cover it with nice linens (like a caterer would) if I needed seating for more people or fancier occasions.

I think it depends on lifestyle & preferences.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

amck, and how tall you are. I have no trouble sliding onto our counter height stools, but bar height are difficult for me to get comfortable as, once I'm in the seat, I can't reach the floor to adjust the chair in or out and I feel very stuck.

• amck2
    9 years ago

Annie, I'm 5'2" and DH is 6 feet. Counter height seating works well for us both. Our stools have rungs at 2 heights which helps. The craftsman who made our Shaker stools offered us the choice to have the seats set at different heights. Chair back heights are kept uniform, so they look nice lined up, but some families where there is significant disparity in height choose to have seat heights customized for comfort. We went with seats all the same height but I hadn't heard of that option before and thought it was pretty cool.

We have bar height seating at our kitchen island at the lake. We invested in solid barstools, but I feel as you described on them & I'm nervous when the little GD's climb up or down.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Yep, it's a dilemma...maybe we need stools like the hairdressers use that pump up and down!
    :)

• Jules
    9 years ago

They make stools like that, Annie! :)

• alohamillion123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We just closed on the house at lunch time so I will be able to get exact measurements to update my post.

To clarify several questions asked of me: There is an existing dining room which is where I was standing where I took the photo. We currently use our eat in island at our current home, which is why I feel it would be better suited at this home. We do not necessarily need more storage; the island question I have is to incorporate the existing kitchen space into the existing eat in area near the sliders and have it flow well.

I think that annie is onto what I am looking for. I also just found this picture which I am attaching to illustrate my interest in having a large island with eat in capabilities. I even like the prep sink shown in this island but I don't think we need anything like that in ours.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I have barstools like that, Annie. Sometimes though people pump them up when the back is under the counter and you hear this awful scraping sound when they are trying to swivel it around. Eventually most people realize they have to lower the seat again before swiveling it around.

{{gwi:2139865}}