Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stargirl_gw

Creating a Cabin Look in the Living Room

stargirl
11 years ago

We live in a small house surrounded by woods, and there is a river in the backyard. For years, I decorated in French Country style, but I'm ready for a change. Since we live in a woodland setting, I'm thinking that the most appropriate decor for our home, especially the living room, is cabin style. When I say "cabin," I don't mean bears, moose, or that type look. I'm thinking fish, duck decoys, dog prints, etc. In fact, I have started to create a wall gallery on the long walls, and have already put a couple of duck prints, and a few prints with dogs. I removed all the things that looked French Country, so that I can begin with a clean slate. The only things I have left are a camel-colored couch, a black antique trunk (perfect for a coffee table), a grandfather clock, a small antique secretary, and a large armoire, which holds the TV. There is a ebony mantel and rock hearth in the room. My walls are cream, except for the gallery wall, which is deep red, with wooden wainscoting below. I want to keep the red wall because it relates to some red items I have in the kitchen/dining area. Do you have pictures of rooms that have the look I'm trying to achieve, or do YOU have a look like this in your home? If not, please tell me what type pillows I should use on the couch, what accessories I need, etc. By the way, I have brown Bamboo blinds on the two tall windows, and I'm happy with these. Thanks for any suggestions or pictures you can provide.

Comments (5)

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Although I love French Country, the cabin style would be perfect for your environment. Here's a few pics go give you some inspiration.

Here is a link that might be useful: pics

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I agree-- it sounds like cabin style will work nicely in your home. You have a great start. A red wall with wood wainscoting is perfect.

The first thing I thought of were hooked pillows. You can get them in a variety of designs-- dogs, fish, deer, etc. Depending on how rustic you want to go, you could use a variety of vintage or antique items.. I'd look for items that have visually interesting textures or wood grains. Perhaps a vintage fishing creel, a hickory chair or rocker, a felted wool pouf/ottoman.

I'd do a few google searches for rustic decor. You'll find quite a range but it will help you see what you like and what you don't. It will be a fun transformation!

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

Let the natural materials do the heavy lifting here and don't buy into the "theme" too much with too much overdone animal prints and other chain store buys. The exterior is your inspiration, not someone's fictional idea of a frontier cabin.

• allison0704
    11 years ago

I would focus on bringing natural materials into the mix, along with actual nature items - not just pictures on the wall. We live in the woods, and I haven't tried to create a cabin look, more a comfortable (look and feel) place that ties in with our setting (lake, mountain ridge and woods).

Here is the lower level den (I don't know why pics in this room tend to turn yellow.)

I know you've seen my house before, and goodness knows these pictures are several years old (some things have changed!) but maybe they will give you some ideas. There is a dog themed bedroom (DS, now DGS). You'll notice horse things around the house too, as I grew up with horses and we live in a horse community now.

Be sure to add texture with leather, wicker, canvas and fabrics. Snake skin, horns, antlers. I have several vintage porcupine quill things in our home - just love them.

Here is a link that might be useful: house pictures

• stargirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the great ideas, everyone. I'm happy that you think that a cabin look is appropriate for my home. I have wanted this for years, but I was so into French Country, that I never had a desire to change, until now. Your home is beautiful, Allison. That is the look I'm going for...not anything themey. What is the print on your draperies? It looks like toile, but I'm sure it's not. Again, I appreciate everyone's ideas and suggestions.