Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

Need Inspiration for Bedroom Wall Art

amck2
9 years ago

We repainted our walls and trim when we replaced the wall-to-wall with hardwood flooring in our bedrooms. I used to have a large floral print over the bed. It was okay but I didn't love it and am holding out for something else.

I'm having a hard time finding art that suits the master bedroom. We have a light cherry BR set with a sleigh bed. The new coverlet and shams are a buttery cream and the walls are BM White Chocolate. Lots of light neutral tones and lots of wood tones, so the wall above the bed is begging for color.

Floral & botanical prints seem predictable. Landscapes aren't calling to me - they feel like elevator music for the eye.

What other types of art do you have, or can you suggest for a husband/wife bedroom? This room is a bit more staid than the others in our home, mainly because of the imposing wood furnishings, so the more whimsical and casual prints I'm drawn to seem out of place in there.

Comments (56)

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My old excuse of not knowing how to post photos is gone, as I finally learned how to post pics last week. In one day I posted more here than I had in the past 7 yrs ;)

I hesitated because I knew there would be a collective groan when you saw the totally matching BR set, right down to the night stands. It's 13 yrs. old but in like-new condition. The storage works well and we're still completing a big kitchen remodel, so I don't have any plans to replace it.

I agree that art should be something that moves or pleases you, rather than just a prop to match the room. But we haven't acquired anything that is big enough to fill that space and the room looks hollow without something. And that's from someone who has a "less is more" aesthetic.

The lampshades in the photo are Target finds I picked up to add a bit of pattern and texture to the room and they don't have to stay.

Audubon prints were mentioned, and I was thinking of hanging a nice print of mourning doves by a NE artist that I had framed recently. It hung over my mantle during Thanksgiving and now I hate to put it in a place where it will get so little exposure. I have a vintage Audobon print in the DR and another pair of birds in an Etsy print in the powder/laundry room. I seem to really go for birds!

Headed out to shovel from last night's storm, but will try to get a pic up soon.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

amck, please post pictures of your bedroom. I promise I won't say a word about it being a "suite" of furniture. It works for you, you liked it when you bought it, and it still functions for you. I think it should not be on the table for discussion, unless you want it discussed.

I think "shopping your house" for art for your bedroom is a great idea! Sounds like you've got some contenders!

Make sure to include a nice head on shot of the bed, and some photos of the pictures you are considering. Maybe some kind soul here will photoshop them in for you!

Happy shoveling! (As my nephew said upon moving from IL to the South - you don't have to shovel rain!)

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Is there room for a screen behind your bed? I find they solve many design issues.

(Like okmoreh, I lived in California and went through two huge earthquakes. I could never get over those experiences sufficiently to hang anything over my bed. So, I am biased.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Along these lines?

• OKMoreh
    9 years ago

amck, please post pictures of your bedroom. I promise I won't say a word about it being a "suite" of furniture. It works for you, you liked it when you bought it, and it still functions for you. I think it should not be on the table for discussion, unless you want it discussed.

Amen!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If it helps, the dressers, headboard and end table in my bedroom all match...it was our first bedroom set when we married and I still like it, 30 years later. So I'm not changing it.

I was going to suggest a tapestry as well as an alternative. We aren't in earthquake territory so hanging pics over the bed is also not a problem.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I think art work does have to kind of "go" in the room. A bold abstract by Mark Rothko in reds and oranges would look silly in a pale pink, shabby chic, feminine room. The opposite would be just as bad....the room is blue and yellow and all the art work is blue and yellow.

Most of us buy furnishings first, then worry about the walls. And most can't afford original art so we purchase stock prints online or at places like Michael's and BBB. I made the mistake of buying several pieces online when we redecorated for son's wedding. We were having a lot of company and I didn't want blank walls. Two of the prints in particular are "elevator music" bland. I learned my lesson. I hope to replace them at some point possibly with finds from thrift shops or antique stores.

And a lot of us have the bedroom suite all matchy. Mine is 34 years old! I thought of replacing it when we redid the bedroom a few years ago, but realized we would retire and probably move away in a few years and would want to buy furniture that fits a new place. I ended up painting it white which gave it a new lease on life. Would I do a complete matched set today?....probably not.....but it's not the worst thing either...you're not looking at it all day like family/living room furniture.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement. These shots look paler and blander than IRL, I'm sure the snowy morning light contributes to that. You can't see the texture in the mattelasse or the tonal print in the curtains (similar to the lampshades) or that the bath curtains are jacquard.

{{gwi:2139840}}

{{gwi:2139841}}

{{gwi:2139842}}

{{gwi:2139843}}

{{gwi:2139844}}

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I think your room looks soothing and calm. You sure are a good bed-maker! Not a wrinkle anywhere!

Is it possible to take another picture of the bed as if you were sitting on top of the dresser (which you might have to do), so that some pictures or other objects can be edited/photoshopped in?

Do you object to a grouping of plates in a bedroom? This is a photo from a showhouse I was at recently

{{gwi:2139845}}

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

I agree that your bedroom is calm, soothing, and lovely!
    What color are your walls? and what sizes are your bird prints that could be considered. I like the idea of a tapestry but didn't see anything on the overstock link that looked right to me. I think someone above suggested a small oriental rug to hang on the wall. Perhaps with neutral creams/beiges and a touch of the light blue of your chair.

Here is a link that might be useful: One of The FoxesPad's options

This post was edited by junco on Sun, Jan 4, 15 at 16:15

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am planning to put 3 x 5 rugs on both sides of the bed, similar in style & colors to what junco linked. DH misses the comfort of stepping onto the carpet & I think they'll warm the room visually, too.

I think the lampshades might be confusing the issue. I like the color and the simple pattern but it's called Morrocan Tile and I think that's throwing me. Strange, perhaps, but to me the name implies a style that is more ornate and formal than I am drawn to for my home.

Like chinoiserie, a style I like and admire when done well, it seems off in my modest New Englander. At least to me. Which is why I come here for advice from others who have a broader background in decorating than mine.

Should I ditch the shades because I ought to decorate around them, or are they simple enough to work well other styles?

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

The lampshades pick up the pattern of the pillow you have on the bed.
    Can you show us the Mourning Doves you mentioned? and try that piece over the bed. You need to get a sense of the size that will look right.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I think your lampshades are sufficiently neutral to ignore. I like them, but I don't think they would or should drive the design.

Glad you mentioned rugs. I was going to ask about rugs, but because you had only asked about art work, I was trying to not wander off the topic.

So, from the rug I take it you are going with a blue, cream, beige color scheme? I think that would be lovely.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I have one heck of a headache/back/neck pain, so I can't think enough to come up with any suggestions, but I have to say you have no reason at all to be ashamed of that "matchy" bedroom set. It's beautiful.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I think your room is lovely! I think I would look for something with a touch of blue to tie in your slipper chair :)

• pps7
    9 years ago

What a serene beautiful room. I have this wierd thing about putting stuff above the headboard. I prefer to out small pieces of artwork or mirrors above the nightstands.

• pps7
    9 years ago

What a serene beautiful room. I have this wierd thing about putting stuff above the headboard. I prefer to out small pieces of artwork or mirrors above the nightstands.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I think your furniture is really pretty and the room is very calming so I would do a soft watercolor or a series of watercolors over the bed with blue to tie the chair in and then use some blue accent pieces around the room...neutral rugs with a hint of blue, a blue vase on the dresser, etc.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If you were concerned about something falling off the wall, you could always stencil something on the wall, or do a wall paper panel and nail up molding around it like a picture frame.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a photo of the Mourning Doves signed/numbered print - the eggs in it are the blue/grey of the chair. And one w DH holding it over the bed. A 3rd was the only pic I have of it hung over the mantel, to give a better sense of scale. And 4th pic is one bbstx suggested I take square on of the wall space over the bed.

{{gwi:2139846}}

{{gwi:2139847}}

{{gwi:2139848}}

{{gwi:2139849}}

• MarinaGal
    9 years ago

Your bedroom is lovely and I think the lampshades are completely fine with the furniture etc. I also fall in the camp about not loving heavy framed art hanging on the wall over my headboard, but I agree the space looks like it needs something. Perhaps you can find some unframed art on canvas you like on Etsy - I see more and more art like this available for really reasonable prices - prints, not originals. We solved this over the bed art "problem" by hanging wallpaper on the wall behind our bed. The wall paper is enough of a focal point that I don't think we need any art over the bed… just an idea if you are open to wallpaper.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I think it looks very nice...go for it.

• Delilah66
    9 years ago

I like the subject, size, shape, and coloring of the print and the matting for over the bed. The colors in your pillows pick up the color of the matting. While the frame is harmonious in the fireplace setting, it seems off in the bedroom. That may just be my computer, though. Your furniture is lovely, by the way!

• Sheeisback_GW
    9 years ago

Your room looks really peaceful and lovely. I like the dove print there.

(I'm drawn to bird art too.)

• pps7
    9 years ago

I like the print!

I forgot to mention, your furniture is absolutely gorgeous, however, would it be possible to remove one of the pieces. If you need all three for storage then by all means keep them, but if you can make do with just 2/3 then I think it will look better.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Your bedroom (and bedroom set) is very pretty! I like the calm feeling. I think the lamps and shades look great. In regard to rugs- My MIL used 5' runners on each side of her bed and it looks really nice, and is less expensive than buying a huge rug that is mostly hidden. A soft oriental in the beige/tan/pale blue would be so pretty!

The bird print looks nice but maybe is a little dark. Maybe something like the attached link? They're just canvas so wouldn't be scary overhead.

Here is a link that might be useful: triptych

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Am I the only person who isn't afraid of art falling on them? DSIL has the same near-phobia. I had a HUGE painting in a heavy gold frame (much too large for where it was) hanging over my bed for years and never gave it a second thought. Granted, I don't live in earthquake country, but neither does DSIL.

The mourning dove piece is very pretty, but I detected a reluctance to move it to the bedroom. On my monitor, the mat looks a tad yellow for the bedroom. And it looks just perfect over the mantel.

What about the Audubon print(s) from the DR? Or the other bird prints in the powder/laundry room?

• finallyhome
    9 years ago

Here is a simple picture line up. Note the bed is similar to yours.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

joaniepoanie: "... And most can't afford original art"

There is original art available at all levels, and there's always the art poster or art print. Art should be part of the budget. If you hate art, or could care less, then the art budget should be about the same as the lamps. But I always suggest that the art budget should match the highest priced piece of furniture in the room. If you spent $1,200 for the bed and mattress, then you can afford $1,200 for art. Well chosen art, that you love, can last a life time, and can be hung anywhere in a home. The bed will be replaced. Also, good art will elevate a room, where poor art always cheapens it.

The room is lack luster, in my opinion. It looks a bit like a hotel room that is trying too hard to look neat. I have never minded matching bedroom furniture, but a problem arises because it reduces the variation of texture and colors in a room, like wearing an outfit in only one color. So one needs to introduce variations or wallow in monotony.

I would like to see the pattern pillows, from behind, set in front and the beige behind. I would like to see a more vibrant throw for the foot of the bed, a color taken from the strongest color on the pattern pillows and perhaps something more on the night stands. I do have to say that the white mats on the night stands are a bit distracting, white always draws the eye, and I doubt that you want people to stare at and remember the tops of the nightstands; it's even brighter with the lamps focused on it. And this would be good place to introduce a color or textual element instead. The dominate sculptural elements in the room are the clock and phone jack. Even placing a couple of old books under the jack will make it seem to blend in rather than stand in relief. People also like to use dishes, like a marble ashtray or key-drop for the sculptural element. This is place where you can shop, and maybe it takes a long time to find the perfect thing, or maybe on your next trip to Mexico you pick up a little bookend or folk art sculpture to adorn the night stand, and a few years later switch it with a new memento.

As long as the artwork is flat, and the bed pulled out from the wall enough so that the art, if it falls, will slide behind the headboard, I don't mind art over the headboard.
    The shades are inoffensive and blend well into the walls. Not a bad thing.

The dove print looks too small for over the bed, but looks perfectly suited for the FP. Below are works of contemporary art (sold) that I used as an idea of how an abstract might work and bring life into the room. If not in your taste, perhaps it will inspire a lurker here. These pieces are originals, but probably made with the decorator in mind. They are what I might call "horizon abstract". They have interesting paint techniques and colors that are pleasing to look at up close and maybe even touch, but with a strong horizon line, which is calming in a bedroom -a scenic without being a scenic.

I love the inspiration photo provided by finallyhome, those little works of art don't need to be overlapping or have special hangers. What stands out for me, is small works of art with wide mats and matching narrow wood frames. Like I suggested, the pillows that match the spread are behind the more bolder choices and the throw stands out from the spread.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Mon, Jan 5, 15 at 4:47

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I like the bird art over the bed. I did a virtual to help you see it better than someone holding it up. I know that helps, but sometimes it's better not to see the person there.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I might like it if it were a little bigger, too.
    The red dots show the edges of the larger size. The whiter area of the pillows shows how I matched up the snip from the original photo with someone holding the art, You can still see the fingers on the frame. I did center the art and paint out the wall color so it would match up a little better and not be so distracting.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Mon, Jan 5, 15 at 3:27

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm appreciative of the suggestions and opinions being offered. We were able to move back into our home at the last possible moment before house guests from overseas descended on us for 2 wks. & all the holiday hosting began. So, you are seeing the room in its most Spartan state.

We usually have books on the night stands and a few more decorative items out. But since I had this blank slate to work with I wanted to consider what I brought back in after unpacking.

The mats on the night stands are actually the same quilted fabric as the coverlet, which being another "match" is probably considered worse than white;) But they will stay for practical purposes. My habit in winter is to bring a small pot of tea to sip in bed while reading or watching TV. Coasters just don't work for that. DH keeps a glass of water by the bedside at night, too. So, function over form there.

Speaking of the TV, it's housed in the corner armoire, so that stays. The long mirrored bureau is mine & DH has the high one. They're convenient - and completely filled - so, also stay.

I was so happy to see the dove print again when I pulled it out yesterday. That's how I like art in my home to make me feel. I am on board with what much of what Lilylore said about spending on art. At this stage, I would rather save for what I love and have it properly matted & framed than compromise to fill the wall space. I do think the dove print is a tad too small. The Audobon print is taller, but not as wide, so won't work there.

I have a print of an ice skater on a frozen pond in the woods that I bought 25 yrs. ago, framed, for about $100. That's not a lot now (wouldn't even cover the framing) but it was a splurge back then when we had all the expenses of raising a young family. However, the piece resonated with me as I remembered skating like that. My family all skates (mostly hockey) and someone in the family has always had an outdoor rink. I love hanging that print over the fireplace every winter & my kids remember it from when they were little. Probably the best $100 I've ever spent.

I'm attaching a pic of the floral print that hung over the bed pre painting. It's one of the stretched canvas prints textured like an oil painting. I bought it because the copper pot mirrors the warm tones of the furniture, because it was big, added the pop of color I needed & was affordable at around $250 from a furniture store.

If I were staging my home to sell, I'd hang it up right now. But it doesn't move me other than making me feel that the room looks more finished.

Funny, my kids have both asked if they can have the skater & other pieces I've collected over time. Neither has any interest in the flower print ;)

I think finallyhome may have hit on something with that grouping idea. BTW, we're not in an earthquake zone and I don't fear art falling onto me. We have room to keep the bed pulled away from the wall & DH goes above & beyond securing things to the walls. I am more fearful of a ceiling fan above me...

{{gwi:2139850}}{{gwi:2139851}}

• lilylore
    9 years ago

Posted by amck:"I would rather save for what I love and have it properly matted & framed than compromise to fill the wall space."

That is the best advice anyone can give.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I will repeat: You have a lovely room that is calm and soothing. I think clean, uncluttered tops are fine. I like Spartan (except the ones that beat Baylor).

I understand mats on your bedside table. I keep a small washcloth folded in half on the edge of mine, most of the time. I move it when the maid comes or when I'm having company. It is the landing spot for my phone, my Kindle, my glasses, and my morning coffee.

Could you put the flowers in the DR and move the Audubon into the bedroom? You said the size and shape weren't right for over the bed. Could it be part of a grouping? Do the other bird prints complement the Audubon print?

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

What about this:

An antique quilt on the bed and then a simple grouping of decorative art (plants or whatnot) over the bed?

The real 'art' in the room is then something functional, which fits the 'less is more' concept.

• sloedjinn
    9 years ago

One of the things I agree most is to save up for something you love rather than get a filler piece. Better to leave the spot empty for now. I don't have a lot of nice furniture pieces, but what I do have is a small collection of original art that I truly love.

My husband and I like to go to art fairs in the summer. Also, our community has a pretty strong art scene so we have pieces from local artists. Etsy is another good place to buy original art though there is a lot of dreck to sort through. But one of my favorite paintings came that way, so it can be worth it.

That said, I think it might help things to go a bit bolder color wise for your accessories. The only real contrast I'm seeing in the room is the dark furniture. Maybe a deeper blue for the throw at the foot of the bed. I also had the thought that the deep blue of the transfer ware plates someone posted would look very nice in this room. Maybe not plates over the bed but incorporated somehow. Like blue and white ginger jar lamps or something. It's just a thought.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I love your bedroom and furniture. I just bought a new bedroom "set" ( it all matches and I love it). I too think you need to pull more of the blue into your room. A grouping of pics would look nice behind your bed. Most important would be to use what you love. Don't be in a hurry. maybe you just use a temporary pice till you find the one you love. I always find my favorite things when I'm not looking!

• lilylore
    9 years ago

If you can live with it, the floral is the right size and will be an okay place holder until you find the art work that speaks to you, as they say. Nothing wrong with that.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

While the flowers are lovely, they are bright and add more energy to the space....I prefer the serenity of the doves for a bedroom.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

When I saw the photos of your room, I immediately thought that a large, serene, color field painting would be perfect there. I guess some others agree. You have created a very tranquil space. Good for you!

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've been mulling over this since posting and it's made me consider what I like.

The slipper chair & ottoman have a custom covering that I chose to pull out blue from a quilt I got when we bought the set. It was primarily cream and I thought the quiet blue print was a good choice to pull in some color.

That quilt is gone & I realize I am not so fond of blue that I want to add more to the room. DH loves that chair & reads in it before bed most nights. It's a quality piece & the upholstery is in great shape, so I don't want to replace it. Also, it's the only blue item in this house, except for the color of my front door & (matching ;) bench on the porch. So I've decided to live with the chair but not deliberately decorate around the color.

Suggestions to use color in a printed quilt could work if they are few and/or subtle, like toile. It's a focal area and I'm not comfortable with big or colorful patterns, which is why I'm drawn to creams and neutrals throughout my home. It's nothing to do with trends or resale, I just like the peaceful uncluttered feeling of those shades. I used to find the floral print visually jarring when I saw its reflection in the mirror when I sat in bed.

Typing these posts helps me process and I appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

• peytonroad
    9 years ago

I think you can't go wrong with JOSSANDMAIN.COM website. I love the choices but alot of it is repeat. I have bought many items and returned as well with no problem.s $10 shipping only for all you want every 30 days.

• seatoon
    9 years ago

This is Hydragea (I replied to you in a post above). I have changed my name to seatoon because I don't like the typo in my name.

I didn't read the part where you said you have a new quilt and shams, so sorry to suggest another quilt!
    Anyway, what about pretty birds?

Arranged in a set of 4?
    The reason I suggest birds is because the dove seems a bit dark on your wall.

{{gwi:2139852}}

{{gwi:2139853}}

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I love your room, but then I'm also in the less is more camp. I personally believe in art that you love and/or that is meaningful to you.
    How about making large prints of photos you took (maybe in black and white), ideally some landscape significant for you or perhaps make a copy of an antique map of your home town or where you met or honeymoon (on engineering print).

{{gwi:2139854}}

{{gwi:2139855}}

{{gwi:2139856}}

• amykath
    9 years ago

Nosoccermom, love the framed maps. I adore maps! Thanks for posting those photos.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Have you considered a piece of metal art? There are many types and a variety of prices available. And they are very easy to hang.

Here is a link to one offered on Grandinroad. May be a bit large and is a bit on the modern side. But check Overstock, Home Decorators, etsy, Frontgate, even Hobby Lobby or some of your local stores if this interests you.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.grandinroad.com/aspen-metal-art/wall-art/indoor-wall-art/611460

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

amck

When I saw this bedroom photo (see link below), I thought of your bedroom...it was already suggested to put multiple photos over your bed & inspirational photo included, but this bedroom reminded me of yours - the wall frame molding on the walls is very nice too (I am not really good at decorating & maybe that would require crown molding too? - I am sure many posters here would know).
    Your photos should probably be little 'longer' rather than square since headboard in inspirational photo is taller than yours.

bedroom-4th photo

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rina, thank you for that link. I am intrigued by the idea of the wall molding. It adds interest without looking fussy. I'm also not sure if I should do it without crown but hope some who know will chime in.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I love mixed media art, especially with textiles. I think textiles are perfect for a bedroom.

When our house was new and we had a lot of wall space to fill, we bought two inexpensive prints from Joan Schulze. It's still my favorite art. She sells originals but also sells high-quality prints. I'd be more inclined to look around the local art scene, but I'll post the link as an example.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joan Schulze mixed media

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

may_flowers, thank you for introducing me to this artist. I quickly perused her site and read about her work.

I'm drawn to her prints and they are different from most of what I own. We have one large signed block collage in the TV room. And one framed textile print that has local historical significance.

I was hoping that posts like yours would nudge me into thinking beyond mass produced landscapes - and it's happening.

• l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

Something I did in my guest bedroom while waiting for the perfect pieces of art was to get a photo calendar with pictures I like and buy some simple black frames. I had a set of four, looked pretty good. The one I had was Japanese watercolor art. Later, I bought two large beach watercolors. I love the beach and I found having beach pictures in the bedroom very relaxing!

I like landscapes, but if you don't, then by all means don't. I had some landscapes in my bedroom, but moody ones. One was a cabin glowing with firelight covered by a huge amount of snow illuminated pink by a sunset. Just the perfect spot I would have liked to be and since the snow made it impossible to get in or out of the place, it just evoked peace and relaxation or me. To a Floridian it might have been a living nightmare, lol. Later it was a little homestead cabin on top of a hill, a woodcut. When I went full on beach in one room, I had the typical tropical desert island scene, which also says relax, no interruptions. Landscapes can be very abstract too, my friend's daughter does very abstract landscapes. I'm not trying to sell her stuff, just including a link because I think she does beautiful work and it's a good example of "out of the box" landscapes. Might be too casual for your taste, but who knows, http://emiliesart.blogspot.com/p/gallery-shop.html

I also loved metal wall art, and botanical prints. I would love some kind of sculpture made to look like tree branches, but again, that's just me.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling