Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparksals

Help with paint colours for Masterbed in new house

sparksals
16 years ago

Hi there,

I don't think I"ve posted here before, but I definitely lurk.

We just moved cross country and bought a house that closes on Jan. 28. I want to paint at least the masterbedroom and kitchen before we move in.

Our new masterbedroom is HUGE - 24X13, while our previous room was 15X12 - a significant difference in space. We have room to put our bedroom furniture on one side and create a sitting/reading area on the other.

Here are photos from the RE listing. This is not our furniture, but to give you an idea as to the size of the room. They're split in two because the room is too large to photo in one shot. The photos from the RE Listing are linked at the bottom and here are the masterbed photos:

It's a very large room and I think we can fit our bed btwn the two windows, not sure about that as I think it may be best to not have a big empty space until we can get furniture for a seating area. I still have to measure the distance btwn the two windows to see if the bed will fit.

I want to paint the masterbed to compliment our bedding. Calvin Klein Bamboo Flowers. We have the entire set except for the slate blanket, the organza throw pillow and the pinstripe blanket. We have the two shades of pillow cases, plus the shams as well as the rythmic stripe sheets and the hyacinth. That way, I can give the bedding a slightly different look every time I change it. We have the comforter and the duvet cover as well.

From the Macy's Website:

To see the organza pillow up close, you can zoom in on it to see the comlimentary colours. You can also see the different sheet colours - rhythmic stripe, hyacinth etc.

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=16534&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

With our bedroom furniture in our previous house. I still have those curtains, they were custom, but they're going into another room since they don't match. I had them before I fell in love with the bedding. The lamps, which also don't match, but had long before the furniture and bedding, will go in the guest room.

The green pillow in the center of the bed exactly matches the green in the bamboo flowers portion of the bedding. The background colour is a muted periwinkle and the darker flowers are a deeper periwinkle. I LOVE this bedding!

We spent 4 years in Korea and that's where we met. We have alot of Asian decorations, a few scrolls, celadon vases, lanterns, etc., that I think will go nicely with the bedding to create an Asian theme for the room.

I'm at a loss as to what to paint the walls. I want something warm and earthy, but I don't want to go dark green like the colour of the pillow. Perhaps a more muted shade of that green family? More like a green rock clayish colour?

I don't want to do any type of periwinkle, purples or blues. DH would have a fit! lol

Can anyone give reccos as to what would work? I want something very warm so that the bedding will pop, compliment the furniture but not stand out so much that it looks strange in the room.

Here's a photo of our bedroom set - we love this - got it at Costco.com.

DH's "Gentleman's Chest"

For the kitchen, I want to paint it a shade that is goldish taupe, NOT yellowish and I may carry that through the rest of the house except for the bedrooms. In the kitchen, I have burgundy accents and window toppers with matching seat pillows. This photo is from our previous house.

And here's the kitchen photos for the house we are buying:

So, any reccos for the masterbedroom and kitchen? I really like warm goldentones and dislike those golden tones that are yellowish. I much prefer going to the green or taupe side of the gold tones, if that makes sense.

I've seen other photos here of some of the "buffs" from BM. I like Huntington and the colour from Susan's home... pettsfield buff??

Any reccos on what colour will work to make our masterbedroom a warm retreat? I see that room as having so much promise. Photos and swatches of colour suggestions would be so appreciated!

Same with the kitchen. We will eventually get rid of the lino and probably put the same tile in that was in our previous house - Everest Verde - and then put in granite countertops. Also want to update the light fixtures as they are quite dated.

We did tonnes of renovations on our old house and then my dh was transferred. I finally had the house the way I liked it and now we have to start over on this one! lol

Here is a link that might be useful: RE Listing photos

Comments (5)

• mls0520
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi~

I don't post much either, but I adore this site". I've learned so much and defined my tastes a lot through what I've learned from all of the wonderful people here.

What comes to my mind for your master bedroom is Benjamin Moore's "Nantucket Gray". It's not so much gray as it is a soothing, grayed down green. I love this color and my husband really loves this color, which can be hard to do (finding a color that appeals to both sexes). It came to mind as you described what kind of green you might like. It's a color that's going in our new build, which is being painted this week. I could get a pic in a few days if you're interested.

For your kitchen, I think you may want to check out Pittsfield Buff by BM. It's a beautiful color, again, the main color going in our new build. Also, by Duron is Plantation Beige or Tobacco Road which are neutral golden tan colors.

Best wishes to you on your move- although it's a lot of work, I love the creativity that goes into making a new place your own. Enjoy!!

• msrose
    16 years ago

Wilmington Tan might be a nice warm color for your bedroom.

Laurie

• sparksals
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I hear you about finding a colour both of us like!

I really like the Nantucket Grey. The name is deceiving b/c it definitely has a muted green hue to it. I would love to see a pic once you have it.

If the bedding didn't have green in it, I don't think it would work, but I like what I'm envisioning.

It just so happens at the BM website personal colour viewer, there's a bedroom with bedding similar colours to the bamboo flowers with similar plaid like accent pillows, so it made it easier to see what it would look like.

I also like Richmond Gray which I may do in the kitchen and living areas.

thanks so much for your help!

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

I was playing around on the BM site, also love the green with your bedding from what I see on the monitor. You can use that as an accent color, then go a little lighter for the rest of the walls.

In the kitchen, I have burgundy accents and window toppers with matching seat pillows. This photo is from our previous house.

Do you have enough toppers to reuse them in this house?

• sparksals
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HI Rose,

The topper that was over the kitchen window in the tucson house will fit over the window in this house. I'm not sure about what was in our bay window, but I may be able to make it work.