Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

Dish sets that don't come W/stupid little cups?

jterrilynn
10 years ago

I'm looking for low moderate to mid high moderately priced every day dishes in a solid cream color that are dishwasher safe. Are there, anywhere on the planet earth dish sets that have around a fourteen oz. or higher oz. cup size? I loathe the dinky cup! Or, I would do separate dish ordering (non set) if there was an option of a larger cream colored cup. And, while I'm on my puny cup rant what's up with the little cereal bowls one can't even get a cutup banana on top after cereal and milk? I guess what I'm saying is that I need gluttonous cups and bowls either with a separate order option or in a dish set and in a cream color. Any such thing!?

Comments (29)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Denby Linen. I have Denby Jet - very substantial, and you have a choice of bowl sizes and cups/mugs.

• sumac
    10 years ago

Fiesta ware!

• springroz
    10 years ago

I had a set from Crate and Barrel. I cannot remember what it was called, but it had a nice size cup. I don't remember what the bowls looked like. It had a beaded edge. I (for some weird reason) still have the saucers in the drawer. They must have been in a box in the storage room, and unpacked in this last move.

I have noticed, you either get dinky cups, or mugs...

Nancy

• violetwest
    10 years ago

hate dishware "sets" with cups and saucers! Pretty useless for my lifestyle. Look for places which have "a la carte" pieces, like Crate & Barrel, although cream would be harder to find that white.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Perhaps this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mikasa website -- Crisscross pattern

• homeatlast
    10 years ago

I recently received the Crate and Barrel Staccato dinnerware as a gift, but which I chose specifically because a service for 4 offers you a choice of cups and saucers or mugs. I'm with you, cups are much too small, so I got the mugs. They also offer different size bowls as individual pieces. The dinnerware is lovely and sturdy but elegant as well. It only comes in white (and is on sale now), but C&B offers other patterns in cream with, I think, similar choices as far as mugs and bowls.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crate and Barrel Staccato

• chickadee2_gw
    10 years ago

Martha Stewart 's Kensington pattern from Macy's. I think they must have changed the mug recently because the mugs that came with my set last year will hold 16 oz. if you fill it to the top. They're kind of large if you're serving a bunch of people and they're filling up their cups. We had 5 house guests over Thanksgiving, and we had to brew pot after pot in the morning. No problem if it's just the 2 of us.

I bought 10 place settings when Macy's had a 2 for 1 sale and free delivery. I wanted an off white set of open stock dishes I could put away and just pull out for larger groups without having to use my China. My husband is hard on dishes when he loads the dishwasher, and it bugs me to be short on our every day cups or plates when I need them. Here's the mug that came with mine. I think the newer mugs are 12 oz.

Here is a link that might be useful: mug

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Pier one! Great variety and you can buy everything separately.

Here is a link that might be useful: pier one

• threeapples
    10 years ago

Lenox Butler's Pantry. My mugs are huge and that's exactly how I like them.

• lily313
    10 years ago

Mikasa Italian Countryside. I've had my set for nearly six years and can't believe I haven't had a chip on any of my pieces - they are extremely sturdy. Mine came with the useless cups and saucers, but I see now they have a different option with mugs. I have small bowls, but also have the larger pasta/soup bowls that are probably the size you're looking for. It's a nice ivory color.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Lenox Opal Innocence carved collection. It is a creamy white and very pretty. The mugs are substantial but still elegant looking. The bowls also are substantial. Macy's has it on sale now but you could also go to the Lenox website. They usually offer free shipping and when you sign up for their email list they send you a 15% off code. I used to buy all my Lenox patterns through Macy's but now buy directly from Lenox.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Wedgwood Queen's Plain might fit your needs. There is a mug that is larger than a teacup. Also, there are choices of various bowls-cereal as well as a soup bowl...or a vegetable bowl-hehhehheh, for when you are really hungry and the other two are just too small! ;)

You can buy the dinner plate, salad plate, etc. separately rather than in a set.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone! After I finish making my favorite pasta IâÂÂm going to explore each of your suggestions. DonâÂÂt know if any of you remember my âÂÂwhat would you do with this kitchenâ post for a house I just bought but I am going to use the weirdly placed above the window shelves for open shelving in the middle spot where upper cabinets are now. Since the cabinets are somewhat vibrant in color (I think they are Lyptus) cream dishes are preferred over white. Like some of your husbandâÂÂs mine is very hard on dishware. So, as unusual I am seeking something that must cover many categories including good looks as it will be on display.
    In the meantime IâÂÂd like to share this delicious Lobster & shrimp pasta recipe. I do mine slightly different though. Instead of bacon I use ý a role of Jimmy Dean Maple sausage and sprinkle with chipotle pepper and I use half -n-half instead of heavy cream. Costco sells 2lb packs of frozen Langostino bits already cooked. I use half of the pack. Sooo yummy!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/whole-wheat-penne-with-lobster-and-bacon-recipe/index.html

Here is a link that might be useful: The best pasta in the world recipe

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I don't know if the bowl shapes are what you're looking for, but I have the Williams-Sonoma Everyday Restaurant Dinnerware sets. I'm not certain if the wide bowls would work well for you or not. I like them for soups and salads. I have a set of normal shaped bowls as well that go with my set, but I'm not sure which one on the site if they still carry them. Looks like they do have a bunch of other white bowls though, and some look larger. The Everyday dinnerware mugs are 13oz. I'm not certain if the set would work for you, but I do really like them. I also use Anthropologie Latte Bowls which aren't that large I guess (18oz) but they seem perfect for a big bowl of cereal with or without bananas on top.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Check the size of the bowl and the mug on this set!!! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mikasa -- Swirl White Tonal dishes

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, this is what I think IâÂÂm going for. Since a few of you like Fiesta ware I decided to look into Homer LaughlinâÂÂs commercial grade dishes. I can get all sorts of stuff in American white (off white) very reasonable from a restaurant supply house in a 12 piece ea. case. Although that line does not have my big cup there are other commercial brands in American white that do and should match nice enough. Funny the stuff you learn when searching for new home goods. I was completely naive about all the lead in everyday dishes controversy. From what I have read Homers whites and off white are a safe bet. I think just losing a family member to seven brain tumors has me a bit paranoid now and IâÂÂm going to also replace sons cheap charcoal colored dished that get so hot in the micro.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I have been nervous about that, too (lead, etc. in dishes). I saw some wonderful mugs at Anthropology last month, but decided against them since they were made in China. Maybe not fair of me, but I trust US and European brands much more. Glad you have found something you like and that will work for you. Restaurant supply stores are wonderful resources!

Edited to add: That is just my personal decision and I am sticking with it; please don't worry about trying to change my mind if you disagree or have bought and loved dishes, glassware, etc. that is made in China. Not intending my post as a criticism of anyone else's choices. Also, I hardly ever use our antique leaded crystal any more! Heck, I don't buy sheets or much of anything from China-just chalk it up to my being an opinionated old bat.

This post was edited by cyn427 on Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 12:01

• wagnerpe
    10 years ago

I love it! I remember when I got married (14 years ago) that I went through the same exercise - decent sized cereal bowls and "real" coffee mugs. I wound up choosing a Pfalzgraff pattern. Of course, my pattern has long since been discontinued (and it wasn't cream), but I went on the website and saw their Cappuccino pattern that might work for you:

http://www.pfaltzgraff.com/patterns-and-collections/cappuccino

ETA: what fun - looking at all those patterns. After looking at the same dishes for 14 years (and being left with only 8/12 bowls and 6/12 small plates), I am loving the Madeline pattern. Hmm . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Cappuccino Pattern

This post was edited by mamattorney on Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 12:25

• golddust
    10 years ago

I want to echo Denby and tell you why my SIL doesn't like her Fiesta dishes. They mark each other when stacked.

My Denby set replaced my mikasa wedding set. The bowls are a good size.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

We have the Hotel Collection bone china from Macy's. We bought 12 pc sets that come with 4 of the dinner plates, salad plates and the cereal bowl. We then bought the mugs. The website doesn't list the capacity of the mug, but I just poured 14 oz in it with room to spare. They have a luxurious feel, are lighter weight but durable. Love bone china. BUT -- wait for a sale. They go on sale regularly. We bought ours at 40-50% off. .

Here is a link that might be useful: Hotel Collection

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Lascatx, have you ordered online from Macy's? The nearest one is 3 hours from me and I don't even know if they stock it. I managed to get some Hotel Collection pieces at our local Home Goods/Sense and love it. I would love to have more, but worry about breaking during shipping. Sorry for the hijack, but would like to hear your (or anyone's) experience. Thanks!

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I bought some in the store and had the rest shipped. That included another 12 pc set but a lot of individual pieces (bowls, mugs). I have since added other pieces in a couple of different purchases (the fruit and dipping bowls, some espresso cups for DH, another couple of mugs and another serving bowl). Everything has arrived so well packed -- the sets were in boxes and those were well padded. The individual pieces were all wrapped and taped in bubble wrap and packing paper. I have no hesitation ordering from them now. HTH

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Daisy, not from Macys, but we ordered our Denby online - service for 10, and not one piece was broken when it arrived.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Daisy, not from Macys, but we ordered our Denby online - service for 10, and not one piece was broken when it arrived.

• User
    10 years ago

I ordered Hotel Collection from Macy's earlier this month. The dishes came in two separate boxes, one of which was not full and the shipping box was not adequately packed. Result: one broken dinner plate and two broken salad plates. They were very agreeable and sent replacements... another four place sets! I called and they said they can't send individual pieces and I could just keep the extras. The down side for me is I'm still holding on to the crushed box and broken plates in case their shipper wants to examine them. I'll give it another 2 weeks then I'll call again before throwing them away. Oh, the other down side is the dinner plates are humongous and don't fit in my kitchen cabinets. They're stored in my china cabinet. The salad plates are the size of dinner plates, so I use them plus appetizer plates as salad plates. As soon as Macy's has another sale, I'm ordering more appetizer plates. Perfect for dessert plates, salad plates, bread and butter plates...and appetizer plates.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

I have the Crate and Barrel Essential dinnerware. The mugs are wonderful and the bowls are ridiculously huge...large enough to suit my cereal and ice cream loving men. Not cream, more of an off white.

One of the reasons I chose this as my everyday dinnerware is because I do not like heavy, thick dishes (I also use Corelle on a regular basis).

I like these dishes.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Thanks so much everyone. I think I will try to order. Javachik, I had that same experience with our new kitchen cabs. It seems they are making cabs smaller and dishes bigger : -)

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Found these on the Fitz and Floyd website, each piece sold separately. They're having a 20% off sale, thru today only.

Here is a link that might be useful: dishes

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow those seem like a great deal and with a big cup too. They are a little ornate for what I am seeking but hopefully it will help someone else out. Good find Patty! In fact, although our tastes differ there are lots of good finds here.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!