Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sis2two

When choosing a rug for a room....

sis2two
10 years ago

I have had the most difficult time choosing a rug for our family room and thought I would solicit some advice. My walls are Hampshire Gray which reads as an olive green to my eye and I have distressed leather furniture in a burnished walnut color and it reads as a rust/caramel color. Floors are heart pine which are orangish red. Should I be looking for a light rug since my other elements are dark? I need an 8x10 and I like a modern country kind of look. Any ideas of what I should be looking for? Thanks for your thoughts on this and if you have any rugs you think would work, thanks. Been looking at Overstock but am overwhelmed!

Comments (16)

• yayagal
    10 years ago

If you could show us a photo it would help but, in the meantime, I noticed a rug on this site that would work. Take a look at them to give us an idea of what you like.

Here is a link that might be useful: rugs

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

If you like country, a braided rug would fit in beautifully. Here's an example of a possibility as far as colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: rug

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

Take a look at the rug examples that Allison posted on Oakley's thread asking for help with a rug.

I love ALL of them, but the rust background may be too much for your floors. IMOP they are good examples of rugs that can work well in a lot of room designs. A nice Soumak can go traditional, "modern country", even transitional.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yayagal and patty cakes- I like wool rugs for the most part. Currently I have a Pottery Barn rug in the space but am not loving it. I don't want sisal or jute for this particular room. Something soft on the feet. I like oriental looking rugs and braided rugs.

tuesday 2008-I love the rugs Allison posted for Oakleyok! I definitely want an allover pattern. I do have a center medallion pattern on my current rug and don't like it for the very reasons Allison mentioned. Loved the Soumak rug but not sure if the sage outer band would work with more olive colored walls.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here are my pictures. what do you think about rug?

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Beautiful room and furniture. I was also thinking a braided rug would be nice, oval shaped.

The rug that is there, though, is also beautiful.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i love braided rugs too especially the Capel brand. I have one in my dining room. I guess I want to go with what is going to look best. My dh likes the one we have because its really soft. I can't help but wonder if I have too many dark colors. The medallion in the center is not too much of an issue since I don't have a coffee table. If anyone runs across some particular rugs that you think would work better than my current one, please post it. Thanks so much.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bump

• meghnjosh
    10 years ago

Lovely room! I am no expert and am currently struggling with the same issue and spending way too much time online, looking for inspiration...I think a rug that pulls the greens and rusts will work for you. I personally like Persian wool rugs, so I am linking what I like for your room...Not sure if it is your taste though :)

Here is a link that might be useful: What do you think about this rug?

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I like the rug you have now because the scale is big so it adds a nice component to your design. I think that a braided rug or a rug with a small scale design will make your room look busy and cluttered. I don't think your room is too dark, at all. It looks comfortable and cozy. The center medallion doesn't bother me at all, although I would probably line it up on the center of the fireplace and the center of the couch and then place the other furniture, but that's because I'm a little compulsive...LOL!

• sis2two
    Original Author
    10 years ago

meghnjosh- I love that rug! I've never been on that site before. Found the same rug on Overstock for a fraction of the cost. Thanks so much!

Fun2BHere- I think the thing that I mostly dislike about my current rug is that it has an Azteca look, as a good friend pointed out to me, and that's not the look that I want. I may move it to our computer room which has a similar wall color. I am glad that you like it though, so I'm not hesitant to use it somewhere else. Thanks so much for your imput.

• meghnjosh
    10 years ago

I am glad you love the rug! I've bought all my rugs fm overstock as well...I just linked the pic fm the Safavieh site as the pics on Overstock are not very clear and colors can be off sometime....Good luck :)

• sis2two
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bump

• sis2two
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can anyone tell me about sumak rugs? One that I am looking at from Overstock is a sumac wool rug by Safavieh and has a geometric design. I realize it's not real traditional but I am looking for a modern country look. The item number is15610620. Sorry I don't know how to link things.

• sconway11324
    10 years ago

Personally, I love Persian rugs. My "rule", if you can call it that, is to always start with the rug. Here we are working backwards. So, I would choose a rug where the color of your wall is not the predominant color. The predominant rug color should be the accent in your room. Also, don't worry about the rug being dark because you floors have an orange tint. The rug you have looks great. I don't think, impo, that it looks Aztec but it is a "tribal" rug. A light rug will give it a more contemporary feel and you must be willing to vacuum and clean more often than the dark one that you have.

If you still want yo change it, what about a sisal rug?

• sis2two
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks sconway- I had ordered and received a rug that had the green as the predominate color and it did not look good in the room. The rug itself was beautiful but not in the room. I may look for something that is not predominately green and rust. And I am seeing that I don't think I want a light rug. I like natural fiber rugs but want something softer.