Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vavavoom_gw

Unique towel rack ideas?

vavavoom
14 years ago

I know this is going to qualify as overthinking, but my husband who is not usually into the details is for some reason very concerned about us putting up the **right** towel/rack/ring in our powder room!

what is your preference in a powder room . .a towel ring or a short . .say 18 inch rack? we are trying to figure out which would look the least awkward. the room is a strange shape.

also any out of the ordinary ideas would be very welcomed! i've heard use a wine rack though havent' seen one that fits in with the bathroom and is small enough.

thanks!

Comments (19)

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

My personal preference is for using towel hooks in a family bathroom and second is the towel bar. I don't like rings 'cuz they bang against the wall and you have to tug hard to get the towel out of the ring. I think they look a bit sloppy too.

Powder rooms are different. Using a towel rack like you are considering, in a guest room gives the option of offering many clean single use towels if you often have multiple guests. They don't have to share one dinky towel hanging on a ring. The other option is to use a towel bar which hold a few towels hanging.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Well -- we have six double hooks in the main bathroom -- so handy to hold six large bath towels -- and NO arguments about "how to" fold towels! LOL!!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• teacats
    14 years ago

Sorry -- didn't read that you were asking about a powder room -- and much smaller towels! LOL!

Blushing .....

Jan

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Paper hand towels are another option. I'm looking around for a nice wall-mounted dispenser for folded paper towels for my powder room.

As for bar versus ring, the ring takes up less space, so it may be a better choice for your bathroom. But I also like the ability to have multiple towels available on a short bar.

• liljunkr
    14 years ago

In the powder room of my friends home/office she uses a wire basket hung on the wall with many rolled washcloths for towels. She does not like to use paper towels for ecological and economical reasons. Each guest uses a washcloth to dry their hands then puts it into a second matching basket hung by the door. Her normal routine to do a load of laundry each night makes this convenient and a great saving earth wise and $ wise. I thought it was an incredible idea.

Lil

• Penelope
    14 years ago

What do you have *room* for? I have no problems with towel rings and they can look neat, and that may be the best bet if your sink is a pedestal or other stand-alone. If you have a vanity or countertop with room for one of those little fingertip towel racks or a basket then you could accommodate more choices.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

And what funtionality do you want?
    Is your powder room used heavily by your family on a daily basis?
    Just by guests? Frequent or infrequent?

As a Mom, I want a clean towel right there by the sink for family members to dry their hands on. That towel needs to be attractive, easy to access, sturdy for frequent washing, and easy for young boys who don't give a fig to rehang nicely.

But as a guest, I want a setup that gives me a clear signal for what towel the hostess wants me to use. Those pretty paper ones are pretty -- but I often feel guilty using them since they're so 'not green' and are expensive! The froufrou ones sitting on the counter send a mixed message if they don't look washable. (And do you refold it perfectly when done? Or nicely but less-than-perfectly so the hostess knows it's been used?) As a guest, I'd have to say my ideal would be a basket of rolled washcloths with a coordinating mini-hamper basket for used washcloths nearby.

• User
    14 years ago

We have a towel ring in our guest bath and I hate it. Well, maybe hate is a strong word, but after putting hooks in our master and loving the ease and functionality, I'm sold. With the ring it's harder to make a nicely folded towel hang right and it always looks rumpled after using it. With the hook, not so much a problem.

On HouseBeautiful.com they have an article 101 best hooks and handles. Each item they picked out has the web address for the vendor. There is something for everyone.

Here is a link that might be useful: House Beautiful 101 best hooks & handles

• nicole__
    14 years ago

I have a 2 ring standing, finger towel holder in our powder room. I have a bracelet I use around a scrunched handtowel, then put next to the sink in another bathroom. I'm looking at a votive candle holder to hang on the wall, instead of candles I'd drape finger towels in the metal rings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Towel holder......that used to hold candles...

• k9arlene
    14 years ago

Door knob hooks come in a variety of styles and are pretty unique.

• nhb22
    14 years ago

In one powder room, I have a towel ring with (usually) layered towels, and also a basket with paper towels.

The paper is actually CHEAP facial tissue packets. The cheap are perfect because unlike Kleenex brand soft tissues, they are stiff and the size makes a perfect hand towel.

In this powder area, I use the layered towels on a hook, and also provide hand towels on the counters.
    {{gwi:1537494}}

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

I think it completely depends on the room. Do you have any photos to share?

• fnmroberts
    14 years ago

We have used a hook, re-purposed from its intended use as a drapery hold-back. Actually watched it being made by a blacksmith at a craft exhibit. It replaced a ring.

{{!gwi}}

Before we updated the Powder Room the original pedistal sink offered no place for extra guest towels. A stand we used was in the way. This open shelf has solved that need.

{{gwi:1399506}}

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

jan - that looks like 6 green ghosts - lol!

how about a nice framed sign that says 'just dry your hands on your shirt.'

ok, maybe not - lol!

• emagineer
    14 years ago

Teacats...I have the same swimming suit picture as yours in my bath. Love it. Where did you find the one with the girls in clothes?

• graywings123
    14 years ago

how about a nice framed sign that says 'just dry your hands on your shirt.'

Someone here is looking to decorate their bathroom with inspirational signs. I would add this one to the collection. LOL!

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Since our powder room is the one that guests use, I am a bit crazed by the idea of the shared towel. Especially during cold season, but really any time. After we redecorated ours, and I put up nice wallpaper and there was no way I was hanging a ring or bar on it. I have a pile of paper hand towels in a little acrylic holder on the vanity. Each person gets their own.

Plus, the ring or bar just never looked right, my powder room is small. The previous owners had one in a place that reminded me of a handicap bar--it was always in the way.

When there is no company expected, we have a regular hand towel that we just nicely lay on the vanity.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Found the second one in Marshalls! :)

((green ghosts LOL!!!! LOVE that thought!))

We actually just found a third "panoramic" photo too (in another T.J. Maxx) -- another line of gals in the 1920s posing in a swimsuit competition -- will post a photo of that one when we decide on the perfect spot!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage