Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcleanap

Family room - TV Wall - Need Advice

mcleanap
10 years ago

We're lost, and I am hoping someone here can help us. I am including a link to a photo of the wall we need help with. Basically it has a TV and stand, but we need something to fill the wall space around and possibly above the TV. The walls just look too bare. I suppose to we can get rid of that cat stand too (although our cat loves watching the birds from the window).

http://postimg.org/image/h0bjmzcbt/

Anyone have any ideas? We were thinking some picture frames, but we have no clue what sort of arrangement, where and what photos specifically.

Comments (12)

• teacats
    10 years ago

I do like the cat stand -- and I've included a link to a Pinterest pin board of excellent ideas for your wall ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- pin board of TV wall ideas

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Tea cats is there a way for me to "pin" that entire board? I'm going to need to decorate a TV wall soon, too.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Not teacats, but sjhockeyfan, you can bookmark the page, I don't know if there is a way to pin the entire contents of a page.

• aputernut
    10 years ago

You could use something like in pic. here on each side or one side, it would look nice and provide more storage.

• camlan
    10 years ago

Are you committed to keeping that tv stand? Because a) it looks a little top-heavy with the size of the tv you have and b) a different stand could take up more room and leave the wall looking a little less bare. I like a tv console that is twice the width of the tv set it supports.

If that were my room, I'd move the cat stand to in front of the window and put a large tree between the window and the tv. Then I'd get a floor lamp with more presence to replace the one that's there, and add crown molding to the entire room and call it done.

Or put a low bookcase or chest or cabinet where the floor lamp is now, and put a lamp on top of that.

The key thing is not to clutter up the tv wall so much that you get distracted when watching tv.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I would put the TV in the corner (helps minimize glare from the window), and move the kitty tree in front of the window. That give you a lot more wall space for one large piece of art, or a grouping of smaller pieces, without being chopped up by the TV.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

This might be a different solution. The problem TV can become part of the wall treatment. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: TV idea

• erinsean
    10 years ago

1. I think a longer console for your TV to sit on, a tree in the corner and the kitty tree in front of the window, would look good.
    2. You could hang your TV on the wall....over a longer console and add colorful vases, a small plant...even a small lamp on the console but nothing on the wall except the TV.
    3. Or put an end table at the end of the couch where the floor lamp is. Put a lamp on that end table. Put your floor lamp in the corner by the kitty tree, which will be in front of the window and then either a round ottoman, or small chair in the corner, in front of the floor lamp.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I think you have been given great advice!

I love the paint color in your room. Would you mind sharing the name?

Thanks!
    Amy

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I'd consider what else you might need in this room, e.g. storage, books, etc.
    Below a link on Houzz, which also links to other articles.

Here is a link that might be useful: [media wall[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-to-get-that-built-in-media-wall-you-really-want-stsetivw-vs~21828581)

• amykath
    10 years ago

Nosoccermom, those built ins are fabulous!!!

You could always check out Ikea for less expensive built ins in which you could put together yourself.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Ikea Ideas[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/ikea-billy-bookcase-hack-phbr0lbl-bl~l_869)

• mcleanap
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought for sure, I would receive email notifications. I didn't think I had any replies, and when I checked just now....wow. Thanks for the tips!

I really like the wider console idea (tv mounted on the wall or not), and the tree next to the cat stand. Trying to visualize it. The wall height is higher than we are used to, so our problem in all our rooms is empty space.

Amy - The paint was by Para. (Foothills - p1566-51d)