Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what do I need to know about paint, wall covering, etc.

Posted by gibby3000 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 22:32

I don't spend a lot of time on decorating - just don't have the time to spend. So I rarely post anything on the discussion side here. However I finally decided I HAVE to do something about some areas of my house that are showing an unacceptable amount of wear and tear. And as long as I'm doing that I'm going to do a few other things to upgrade the decor.

Anyway, my first question is what do I need to know these days about what's popular for paint/wall treatment. I'm stripping wallpaper off in a vaulted split entry foyer, a guest bedroom and bath and the adjacent hallway. The bedroom I will probably just paint and the bathroom might get a shaker style wainscot. I generally like stained wood vs. painted wood so likely that's what that will be.

What I'm not at all sure about are the foyer and the hallway. I hate how paint gets scuffed up in high traffic areas like this. My DH is not at all careful and I know from experience within about a week of painting there will be scrapes and scuffs. So I kind of like wallpaper in places like that whether wallpaper is out or not. I've looked at wallpaper though and the selection is so limited that I've not seen anything I like or it looks almost exactly like the 20 year old wallpaper I'm taking down.

Is decorative/faux type painting out of style these days? I was thinking about that for the foyer. For the other hallway I also thought about carrying on with the wainscot that would be in the bathroom since that would certainly hold up better than plain paint. However this is in kind of a "back hallway" so I'm a little concerned about ending up with something that seems like a dark tunnel. There are windows nearby though.

So what to do with the walls after I get rid of the wallpaper is my first dilemma and after I figure that out I will probably have some questions on other stuff. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what do I need to know about paint, wall covering, etc.

I would say that faux finishes are not in vogue anymore. If you still want wallpaper in a high traffic area how a textured one like grass cloth or similar?

You might want to look on houzz.com for ideas. You can type in just about any search word and get pages of pictures.

o
RE: what do I need to know about paint, wall covering, etc.

Thanks! Unfortunately after hours of looking at wallpaper I haven't found anything I like. Grass cloth isn't it either. Good to know the faux finish is out. I'll just consider regular paint then.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here