Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danceme

Glaze or no glaze on cabinets?

danceme
10 years ago

We are putting lots of built in cabinetry in our basement. Upstairs our island and hutch are cream with a brown/red glaze. Downstairs we are doing shaker style cabinets, and I'm thinking maybe just cream colored and no glaze. Is glazing appropriate for Shaker style? Is it very trendy? I don't want to hate it in 5 years. We didn't build this house, so I didn't do the cabinets upstairs (but I did change several things in the kitchen like the granite, backsplash, undercabinet lighting, etc.). The basement counter tops are going to be a darker butcher block. We are doing wood floors that are a medium tone (see picture below). It shows the exact floor we have chosen, and the cream cabinets in the background with the darker countertop are very similar to what we are doing. Finding this picture was great bc it helped me see what I was planning to do. I don't visualize the big picture well.

Comments (10)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I probably wouldn't glaze it only because there's not much in a shaker style for the glaze to adhere to. Glazing really brings out the details in the cabinet fronts when you have lots of molding or ogees and such.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I have beading so the glaze really made the beading pop but as Annie said a plain shaker cabinet would probably not benefit from glazing.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I think glazing can look nice on stained wood or darker painted wood, if done VERY well, not calling attention to itself. I don't like it on white or light painted wood, as it can look dirty/dingy.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I had priced glaze on maple shaker cabinets and it was 20% more than no glaze on cherry cabinets. You don't get much effect for the money it will cost you.

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

would say it is not worth the money for a basement, and not usually done on shaker, but see what the sample doors look like before you decide.

• teeda
    10 years ago

I would say no glaze on shaker style cabinets. I agree with others that it can look a little dingy and dated on off-white. I think I'd want crisp, clean and simple in a finished basement.

• danceme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. I kind of figured a glaze would make no real impact. We have a full daylight basement, and we are treating it the same as the rest of the house because we intend to make full use of it.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I think shaker style lends itself to simplicity. I would not use the glaze.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

The cream-colored cabinets in the bathroom I just moved into had a "glaze" that was so poorly done, it just looks like pin stripes around the borders. Has nothing to do with a distressed antique look that was probably the intent. I am going to try to match the paint to remove the pin-stripes or paint the whole cabinet over.

When I was shopping around for new cabinets at my old house, samples of glazing were very varied. Most did not really look distressed or antiqued --they just looked multi-colored.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

No glaze.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert