Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlsch

Pros and Cons of crushed velvet

jlsch
16 years ago

I love the look and feel of crushed velvet upholstery. How does it wear and what are the pros and cons. Please share your furnishings in this type of upholstery. Thanks.

Comments (10)

• jakabedy
    16 years ago

{{!gwi}}

Your call as to whether this is a pro or a con.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

LOL jacabedy!

I think it totally depends on the piece, the surroundings, the color, etc. I can't advise to the wearability because I don't have any. But I did just have my antique sofa and chair done in mohair velvet and I couldn't be more pleased. It wears like cast iron and I love the way it plays with the light. It looks soooo rich! I found a deal on the fabric on eBay as it's normally well over $100/yd. I got enough to do the sofa and matching chair and even had a bit left over for $300. Having both pieces professionally done cost me $1,200 and I think I got a good deal.

{{!gwi}}

Can you post pics of the piece you want to cover, the surroundings, and the fabric you're thinking of using?

• oceanna
    16 years ago

bump for wigardener

• ttodd
    16 years ago

My sofa is a form of velvet. Not sure what kind anymore but it has held up amazingly well over 10+ yrs, Our 3 dogs, regular dog sitting, 6 cats & 2 kids! I had a stain guard put on it when we bought it & there are still no stains. My back cushions faded slightly when I put it in a window w/ direct sun but that could happen to any fabric.

When I was looking at fabrics for reupholstry the owner highly suggested an man made velvet that was absolutely gorgeous & def. what I would use and the price was $15 per yard - 1/2 the price of anything else that was suggested!

• jlsch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jakabedy - too funny, but I think it might have soured my taste for using the crushed velvet upholstery...lol
    Oceana - I drool every time I see your sofa - it is stunning!
    I have a living room that is pretty bland (1970s bland), fairly small, and not used much. I currently have an old couch and two uncomfortable wood chairs in it. I'd like to use it more so am trying to up the comfort level. It is a room however that get lots of morning sun and I just adopted a Wheaton Terrier mix who is adorable, but thinks the furniture is his throne...not sure I will break this habit. So I need to be conscious of durability. I recently was in a coffee shop that had the most comfortable upholstered chairs in crushed velvet - and invited snuggling into with a cup of coffee and a good book. I was thinking that perhaps I could get rid of the couch and do 3 upholstered chairs facing each other with a large ottoman or coffee table between them. I'm hoping to go for a place to read and to have a conversation. Here is a picture so you can get an idea of the space.
    {{!gwi}}
    I still have to add WT as well. Thanks for any input.

• johnmari
    16 years ago

Since you have a pooch who hangs out on the furniture (so does ours and we have no problem with it, in fact we had to teach him to come up and cuddle!), I advise you get a yard of the fabric you're considering and put it where the dog will lie down on it. Some velvets hold onto pet hair like you wouldn't believe, and some let go of it very easily. I have heard that the commercial velvets are pretty much bulletproof. I adore velvet upholstery, although I prefer smooth to crushed.

• jlsch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great idea johnmari. I've only had the dog about 1 1/2 weeks and I haven't noticed shedding at all. If he does it is very minimal. But then again, certain fabrics do attract dog hair. As you commented on smooth vs. crushed, I realized I was mislabeling what I'm wanting. I want the smooth. I appreciate your inadvertently making me realize that! I'll probably also consider chenille as i think that also had a nice feel.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh - congrats on your new dog! I raised and showed SCWTs for 14 years and still have my two old girls (plus three other dogs). I love the SCWT breed the best of any and I've owned a lot of breeds. And yes, my Wheaties think being on the furniture is just fine for them (I never told them different). So yes I know about dogs and furniture. Fortunately, Wheatens don't shed.

I had peach colored velvet for years on my sofa and chair, and have always had tapestry on my fainting couch. The tapestry especially doesn't show a thing and it's tightly woven, so dusty footprints just brush off.

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

I have a few upholstered velvet pieces, some are what you'd call cut velvet, design is velvet on a cotton background, I also have a few silk crushed velvet pillows, the wear is fine but my dog is a licker and her drool leaves spots that won't go away even with upholstery cleaner.

I would make sure your velvet does not have any silk or rayon in the composition as I think that element is the culprit of my stains; my dog ruined my silk duvet cover, her drool marks did not come out at all. After having it dry cleaned a few times, I ended up throwing the cover in the washer , which ruined it forever , the stains were minimized but not disappeared completely.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Oceanna, I caught your velvet comment on my "Antique Velvet chair" post and finally found a photo here of your gorgeous sofa. Do you remember which seller on Ebay sold you this fabric, and do you remember the color name?

thanks...Red