Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitri89

Need color choosing help for a hall bathroom

mitri89
14 years ago

This is our son's bathroom but is not too far off the main living areas, so I could see it doubling as a company bath on occasion. In others words, I'd like it to look very tasteful.:-) The color on the hall wall just outside the bath is SW Whole Wheat. Our main living areas and sons room will be the WW. It looks washed out in the pic, but in our house it really is a beautiful golden tan color. The samples on the bathroom wall are Baguette on top and Cardboard by the beadboard. Both of those look pretty true to the way they do irl. Those are 2 and 3 spots down on the same card as the Whole Wheat.

My question is what color to stain or paint the vanity, over toilet cabinet, and mirror. I'm planning on the beadboard being Dover White which is the same as all other trim in the house will be. So, if the beadboard is white does the other stuff need to be the same, or could a black vanity, mirror and cabinet work against/next to white beadboard? The last picture shows how tightly the beadboard butts up to the vanity and is what makes me question if the two could be a different color and still look okay. I'd love any help.:-) Thanks!

Comments (9)

• mitri89
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anyone? :-)

• lindybarts
    14 years ago

I think you could go either way and it would look nice. Personally, I like a bit of a contrast. Here's a couple pics with darker cabinets for you.

• lindybarts
    14 years ago

I found a picture of white cabinets and white wainscoting next to each other. It's hard to see from this clipped photo but I see they did add contrast by doing a dark countertop.

{{!gwi}}

• lindybarts
    14 years ago

Found one more white with white combo. Which photos are you drawn to??

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

I like your idea of the beadboard white and dark/black cabinets. I think it would look very sophisticated. The white on white in the pictures above look nice, but the darker cabinets, IMHO, seem more 'masculine', and more modern.

• mitri89
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the pictures. I'm definitely drawn to contrast. It's what I'd been planning, but then when I saw the cabinets and the way they did the beadboard it got me 2nd guessing. It almost looks like the beadboard and the built in cabinetry are one. Our beadboard doesn't go all the way behind the vanity like in the pictures I've been seeing with contrast.

What do you think of the wall color with our tile? I'm wondering if we do dark on the vanity if a dark sagey green would be a better color than the rich browns for the walls. I'm afraid of too many browns that may clash?

Thanks so much for your help.:-)

• andreadeg
    14 years ago

My advice...for what it's worth...
    I see that you have a tannish floor. I would do a tannish countertop with either dark stain, or a white paint on the cabinets. Whatever you choose for your cabinets i would extend to the wainscotting. Becuase it's a small room i wouldn't go for stark contast between the vanity and the beadboard. If it was me I would do the white painted cabinet, but that is strictly a personal preference. I think either could look great. I'd consider a light blue for the paint color for either scenario.

I really like your subway tile shower...beautiful! Please post pics when you are done!

• timber.j
    14 years ago

Here is a picture for you of our kids/main bath (before the mirror was put up). The paneling is painted Dover White, and the vanity is a med/dark stain. I like the contrast. What are you doing for a vanity top?

I like your warm brown choices. As much as I am a fan of greens, you may want to consider if it is a flattering color for a bathroom. Are you using a shower curtain at the tub? I found the curtain before I decided on the paint color-I just wanted something bright and cheerful. And it will be easy to re-paint the top portion and switch out the curtain and rugs if I want a whole new look... Maybe picking out the accessories will help you decide on a wall color.

• mitri89
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Timberj, Thanks for sharing your picture. It's nice to see the Dover on beadboard with a dark vanity. I was thinking a nice simple white, soft cotton shower curtain would work. PB has a couple I like. The countertops will be a solid surface of some kind. I was thinking either solid white or a tannish brown that goes with the floor.

Andreadeg, I originally had been thinking a blue very similar to the one in the 2nd photo Lindybarts posted, as I love that look. I test painted a swatch of SW Rain, but it looked too bright in there and not quite right with the warm Whole Wheat in the hall. Weird thing is that it looked so perfect on the posterboard sample when I held it up on the bathroom wall prior to cabinetry being in place. But once the cabinets/tile were in and the Whole Wheat was painted just outside it seemed all wrong. It made me think that maybe blue wasn't the most complimentary color to the WW. I happened to already have the brown samples, so decided to give those a whirl. I ended up liking them and feel they compliment the WW nicely. Maybe I should've explored more blues, but I do love the warm rich browns too. In fact of the 1st 2 gorgeous photos Lindybarts posted I am slightly more drawn to the 1st one with the rich brown walls than the one with blue.

Thank you both for your help.:-)