Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindarn_gw

exterior color

lindarn
10 years ago

We are redoing an old farmhouse looking for ideas on exterior colors. Located in the south. Roof is metal and color cannot be changed.

Comments (14)

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

I feel like whenever somebody posts a pic of a yellow house asking for paint color help, I always find myself saying "keep it yellow"! I can't help it, there is something about a yellow house that makes me happy.

But seeing as this is about you and not me...how about gray with a darker gray shutter similar to this.

By the way, cute house, I just love the porch.

• crl_
    10 years ago

Sorry no suggestions, but what a wonderful house! And a metal roof! Just lovely.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Is that a lot of red in the roof? It almost looks more red than brown....

• lindarn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the kind remarks and a special thank you for the visual kellienoelle, I really like that gray green, my roof is more maroon than red but , I will def be pulling some samples and see how that color looks, my other thoughts have been a khaki or a very subtle cool lemon color, just barely yellow, and then the old stand by of white.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

That house is so cute. Roof is such a stark feature. I'd go with a pretty neutral light mocha or clay type of color . Keep the wood work white, and paint the masonry a darker version of whatever you use to paint the house, then plant more shrubs or whatever in the front. Also paint the porch floor a glossy white. I'd also have the shutters and other woodwork match the white of the porch rail and columns.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 19:13

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Colors? Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter or Cape Hatteras Sand, along those lines?

• suero
    10 years ago

Pale yellow, pale green or white. Stay away from anything beige. It will make the house look dull.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

I know its not a color, but I see white. I (being a gardening nut) would focus on as much color in the landscaping to add more color interest. I would do lots of seasonal yellow,orange,red flowers in the landscaping. Looks like the stair sides have planters. Great opportunity there for color and the porch lends itself to hanging baskets. Can hardly wait for spring just thinking about the possibilities!!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

There are certain shades of yellow that I really don't like with maroon for some reason. And other shades that work pretty well.

Our 1948 Jeep for instance is Luzon Red with Universal Beige wheels (those are the original colors) and they work together pretty well.

So maybe that will work for your house too.

Though I rather think I would prefer a shade closer to taupe. Perhaps some design seeds will help you decide:

• peony4
    10 years ago

I'd keep the color light and bright to balance the dark roof. If you go with earthy tones, it will appear more Craftsman than farmhouse. That's fine if you want a more Craftsman look, though.

In Annie's last design seed (cacti dark), the lightest color in the row is pretty, as long as it's not too minty green. Or, a light yellow or fresh creamy white.

I'd lighten the color on the shutters, too--black is too dark. Paint the risers on the stairs white, and add pretty landscaping colors as Wendyb suggests. Lucky you for living in the gardening-friendly south.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Oh, gosh. Even before I reached the red jeep, I was opting for taupe and semi-sweet chocolate.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Peony, good point. I love the Craftsman look, so maybe that's why I saw more of an earth tone.

White would make it more farmhousey.

• lindarn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all your suggestions. We will def be landscaping the front and doing something with the planters and steps and sidewalk. Also the front door will have bars removed and maybe a victorian screen door added or just paint the existing one. I am thinking about embellishing the top of the porch with a short railing with gingerbread underneath or just replacing existing gingerbread with something a little larger, I feel like the roof is so overpowering:( I know the shutters look black in the picture but they are actually the color of the roof. We will have to strip paint down to bare wall, if anyone has had any experience with this let me know your thoughts we will be hiring it to be done and want to make sure it is done right. Thanks for taking the time to give me suggestions.

• kitschykitch
    10 years ago

It's so cute. Believe it or not, I was going to say white, but with shutters the color of the roof! Maybe not.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living