Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threebees_gw

What Yellow / Gold Paint looks good with Red?

threebees
14 years ago

I am in the process of picking out paint for the whole house.

I would like to have mostly gold/yellow walls and would like to accessorize with some touches of red.

Our main floor will have dark hardwood floors (carob) and our upstairs will have caramel coloured carpeting. All of the trims will be BM cloud white.

I like to see the white trim really pop, so I was thinking of something in the mid tones.

The colours I like seem to have green undertones (BM late wheat, delaware putty and summer harvest). Will this work with red? or should I be looking for some other undertone?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (25)

• User
    14 years ago

I love that color combination. IMO you are on the right track, any green undertones would look great, I think as well as yellow undertones. gold/red, green/red, great combinations. Do you have a third color to add?

• threebees
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, roseabbey. The other colour I am thinking of adding is a deep caramel colour in the kitchen. Just on the corner pantry wall and the nook. My granite is Typhoon Bordeaux with lots of nice caramel veins through it so I thought that might be a good choice. I supposed I need to look for a nice carmel brown with a red undertone.

Thanks!

• begoniagirl
    14 years ago

I don't know about the undertones but....a wonderful poster here named 'peytonroad' recommended a BM Historical Color called 'Greenfield Pumpkin' to me. It is absolutely a luscious carmel color, just as she said, and we painted our master bath with it and couldn't be happier. I don't know how it will go with your other colors though. I'm horrible at choosing paint colors which is why I took the advice of folks on this board for all my paint color needs.

• nhb22
    14 years ago

begoniagirl - Could you post a photo of your room with that color?

I have always loved the BM Concord Ivory with red.

• bonnieann925
    14 years ago

We have lots of yellows/golds and reds on our first floor. Here's a pic of BM Bronzed Beige above the chair rail in our DR w/ BM Raspberry Truffle below. Trim in BM White Dove. I first read about the versatility of Bronzed Beige in Cottage Living Magazine.

If this appeals to you, check it out at a store that carries BM paint.

• groovia
    14 years ago

I just put a sample of Bronzed Beige on my wall, and I loved the tone and depth of it, but it looks kind of McDonald's-ish with my red couch. But it doesn't look like your wall. Your BB looks paler to me, maybe a little deeper than Linen Sand. Mine looks a little more like butterscotch.

So... the hunt continues for a color to go with my red couch.

• bonniee818
    14 years ago

My DR is restrained gold accented with red. I love that color combination too. REstrained gold is by SW. It is a great color. I will post a pic for you. Good luck with your painting! Bonnie
    Photobucket is on the blink right now so can't get in. Will post a link to webshots. Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Dining Room in Bonnie's home

• bird_lover6
    14 years ago

Bonnie, I also have Restrained Gold by Sherwin Williams and just love that color.

I was wondering what color is on that wall outside the dining room?

• groovia
    14 years ago

Bonnie, your DR is gorgeous!

• amysrq
    14 years ago

You should look for pics of MonaBlair's house. She has used those colors very successfully.

Here is a link that might be useful: here's a thread

• blondepegasus
    14 years ago

I just did my living room in gold and crimson. Here are a couple of pics. The wall color is "Bungalow Gold" by Valspar Eddie Bauer from Lowes:

• groovia
    14 years ago

Here are my samples against my red couch:
    {{!gwi}}

The top-most one is BM Honey Harbour, SW Ivoire is directly underneath, and BM Bronzed Beige is to the left of those. In the bottom left corner is BM Philadelphia Cream and a tiny strip of BM Greenmount silk (there was a painting there, so I was comparing the colors along the side and bottom). Over on the right was just a smidge of Georgian Green for fun.

To OP- I am also drawn to the yellows with green undertones (like the Greenmount Silk). It could work in your space depending on what kind of red you are wanting to pair with it. I also really like the Bronzed Beige, but I just can't put it against the red couch. It's far too bright (you can't tell in the photo) and it has a fast food look to me. But if my red were more of a burgundy, I think I would be very into it.

IRL, I like the Honey Harbour, but in this picure it just looks like a non-color.

• threebees
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone for all the great suggestions! So many choices!

My problem is that I don't have any furniture or accessories yet. We are about 4 - 5 weeks away from having our renovation complete. I donated a lot of furniture and household items when we were getting prepared for the reno. I basically have nothing for the kitchen, family room, living room and dining room.

I think I need to go with one of the deeper, stronger yellows to make the white trim on all the windows and doors really pop.

I'm going to get to the paint stores in the next day or two and pick up some samples.

Thanks, again.

• mom2sethc
    14 years ago

Hi!

here are some pics of my family room. I have yellow with some red accents (red leather chair, red in window treatments, red pot for my plant, etc). My yellow is pretty intense, but I LOVE it!! It is SW White Raisin.

Elaine

• bonniee818
    14 years ago

Thank you all for the sweet compliments on the DR! I have Ivorie in the foyer and the LR has recently been changed to Raspberry Truffle.....which I am going to do the opposite in that room.....have red walls & gold accents than the DR color scheme. Photobucket is back up now. If you need a deeper shade threebees, I have Mannered gold inthe bedroom..still on that same color strip. I will post a picture of both. I know your room will be awesome.
    Bonnie

• charlieinnj
    14 years ago

bonniee ~
    Your rooms are gorgeous! Are the drapes in your DR, custom?

• bonniee818
    14 years ago

Thank you charlieinnj for the compliments on the rooms! The drapes are some I bought from a cyber decorating buddy on a decorating board..she bought them off Ebay & were the wrong shade of red for her rug so sold them to me for the same price she paid. I scrunched the heading & hung on short rods with rings & thank you so much for thinking they are custom!! I think they are the same drapes Tuesday Morning & Bed, Bath, & beyond have so they are store bought. Hope this helps.......Bonnie

• bonnieann925
    14 years ago

Small world here! I'm the cyber buddy that the "other" Bonnie bought the drapes from. They didn't work at all with the oriental rug in our dining room. I went with a red panel w/a gold stripe instead.

They look awesome in Bonniee's dining room with her scrunched heading. Great look!

• acomom
    14 years ago

Here are four different shades of gold I currently have paired w/ red in my house (gee, just realizing that I must really like gold and red together!): SW Blonde (in a bathroom w/ red towels and rugs), Duron (not available nationwide, but can usually have mixed by SW) Tobacco Road (kitchen) and Plantation Beige (in family room w/ a red sofa), and BM Chestertown Buff (in living room w/ red chairs and a cream sofa piped in red). Great combo IMHO!

• User
    14 years ago

BM Shelburne Buff

older pics.
    day
    {{gwi:1540346}}
    here's a shot with the SW color strip. The lightest color to the left is SW Mannered Gold like Bonniee's beautiful bedroom I love so much.
    {{!gwi}}

night
    color to the left is a good representation.
    {{!gwi}}

• threebees
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just wanted to let you know that I went with SW Ivoire and SW Blonde.

The painter put the first coat on some of the rooms today and they look wonderful already!

I will post some photos when the paint and flooring is complete.

Thanks, everyone!

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Good choices. I love both and tried to use both in my house, but I have so little natural light that they didn't work for me. I hope yours comes out well and that we will see photos soon.

Red

• loribee
    14 years ago

Sounds great! Can't wait to see...

• hoyamom
    14 years ago

Here is my gold with my red. The paint is Ellen Kennon Mustard Seed.

• megsy
    14 years ago

Shelburne Buff is my favorite for a gold (it looks tan on the swatch but it's not). Georgian Brick for a red.