Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelcub_gw

Lovers of plaid drapes - care to share pics?

angelcub
15 years ago

For those of you with plaid drapes (or those of you that also like them), could you share pics of yours? I've always loved plaid drapes, especially a large plaid, and have finally found a plaid fabric that I love, too. Now I'm trying to decide what type of drape to make. They'll go in my LR which is informal - non-matching upholstered and painted furniture, white wood work, butter pecan wall color and hickory-pecan floors, loads of light. California cottage is what I like to call it. : )

I'm not opposed to clip-on style but can't say I really love the rings on the rod. Maybe I just need to see more styles of rods.

Thanks for any pics you can provide!

: )

Diana

Comments (41)

• callaloo
    15 years ago

Here are mine, which hang in both my living room and dining room. They are a taffeta which I chose because the colors tie together all the colors in my home (principally green, red, gold and coral).

Although they are shown with the rod threaded through the rod pocket, and with tiebacks, I have since switched to clip rings and lost the tiebacks so that the drapes puddle ever-so-slightly. I think the new look is a looser, slightly more updated look, but your mileage may vary. (I sewed the panels myself, with my very rudimentary skills, so my options are fairly limited.)

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

This may be a bit hard to see, but this is a buffalo print plaid (big squares).

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/main/1495342/262453563

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

I really don't think of mine as a plaid but might be thought of as one. They are a huge check, at least that is what I thought- LOL! This is the only recent pic I have.
    Good luck with your drapes! Bonnie

• mldao
    15 years ago

I love, love, love my plaid kitchen window treatments. I find plaid fabrics are very forgiving and hold up well through the years of use and abuse.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Mldao, I remember your kitchen and that beautiful table. :)

• angelcub
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you ALL for responding! : )

Callaloo, your taffeta drapes look wonderful. Seems to me you have more than rudimentary sewing skills. : ) Love the way all the colors coordinate in your room. And that wall color is really pretty.

Bonniee, lovely drapes and beautiful room! I like the header on your drapes. It's hard for me to tell, are they pinch pleats? Maybe a butterfly pleat (two pleats as opposed to three)?

Mldao, I love your window treatments, too. They are perfect for your kitchen. Now your have me thinking of my still bare kitchen windows. lol And is that soapstone I spy? I have soapstone, too - two years and still loving it every day.

Downsy, thank you so much for the link. I looked at the other pics, as well, and got more ideas. And I stayed up late looking at several of my drape/curtain books, plus lots of decorating magazines I've been hoarding, not to mention a ton of google images of drapes. I think I'm liking the drapes that go close up to the rods. It's the large rings that leave a few inches of space between the rings and the top of the drapes that aren't appealing to my vision for this room. I've also seen some rod pocket curtains with a 2 inch header that I like, as well.

Here are some pics of the fabric I'm getting. The colors are a bit lighter than they are showing up on here. Please ignore the other stuff on the wall - that was for fall/winter and isn't staying. Rods are changing to white and will be larger, as will the crown molding in the room.
    {{!gwi}}

Plaid fabric with two other fabrics I like:
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a chair that I may use the toile on:
    {{!gwi}}

Here is my other chair with fabric I may use. It has all the colors in the plaid except the green is a little different, but I'm not sweating that. : )
    {{!gwi}}

And here is a style I like. I like the trim, as well, so I may add something like this to mine:
    {{!gwi}}

Downsy, do you think that is a separate piece of fabric with the trim or just a tuck of the fabric with the trim sewed to the edge and connected to the drapes? Am I making sense? lol

Thanks for taking a look and for sharing your pics. : )

Diana

• PRO
    15 years ago

Angelcub - The drapes in your inspiration photo can be done 2 ways. You can add a valance that layers over the panel and put the fringe along the bottom of the valance. The 2 layers are pleated up together when you do the pleats at the top. Or you can just put tassel fringe across the width of your panel to give the illusion of an attached valance. (I would use an adhesive for attaching the fringe or do tiny hand stitches, rather than sewing a machined stitch.) Do this before you join your face fabric with the lining. I suspect that your inspiration photo is the illusion of an attached valance. Also the pleats in that panel are called euro pleats - they are a 2 finger pleat that is tacked at the top of the pleat instead of at the bottom of the buckrum (usually 4" down from the top.)

Also - if you like the look of this rod - notice that it is ringless. It is a decorative traverse rod. They are usually 1/2 fascia rods with a traverse track attached to the back. Then you just put the drapery pin right into the slides and you have no rings. Its a nice, clean contemporary look.

Will your drapes be functional or stationary? If you're doing stationary panels, you can achieve the look of a ringless rod by using screw eyes into the bottom of your wood pole, instead of spending on a decorative traverse rod (they are quite expensive.) Space out the screw eyes where you want them.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

To me it looks as though the trim is just sewn onto the fabric.I like that look. Adds a little something extra!

• angelcub
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, downsy! It's so nice of you to take the time and share all that info. : ) I've sewn for decades but it's been awhile since I've made pinch pleated drapes. I do like the euro pleats. They have a softer look, imo, than traditional 3-pleat drapes. And I do like the idea of a traverse rod instead of rings. I haven't used that type of rod in ages but I did look recently at some similar to the one in the inspiration pic. I only need two so I'm not worried about the cost and I think I would like them to be functional. They probably will always be open - no privacy issues here - but it would be nice to have then close, if need be.

One more question, if you don't mind. I am going to remove the white roller shades and replace them with some type of blinds. I don't have a lot of room, though, for anything too wide. The side jams are 1 3/4" wide. The windows are Anderson custom Woodwrights, double hung and about 4x4'. I have a casual cottage style and want something cat friendly, if possible. I am not a mini blind lover but do like the wood blinds and some of the pleated shades.

Thanks for any advice and anyone else feel free to chime in!

kmcg, I thought it looked like the trim was attached to the drape, too, except there is one area that seems to stick out a bit, leading me to think it is a valance. Either way I really like the look.

Diana

• Dora Vann Snider
    15 years ago

I love plaid drapes also. Really like the fabric you have picked out. Looks like you have it all together. Can't wait for pics when you get through.

Bonniee,

Would you share where you got your curtain rods? I have been looking for some exactly like that and can't seem to find them anywhere.

DL

• PRO
    15 years ago

I don't sell alot of blinds or shutters and when I do I have a guy that goes out for me - so I am not terribly aware of all the options available there. I let him do the figuring and the "splaining" to the customer! But, in your case I would probably use wood blinds. The blind headrail may stick out a bit farther than the 1 3/4" depth that you have, but that's ok. Your rod will have at least a 3.5" projection from the wall,so you've got room.

If you like the look of the decorative traverse rod and you can do your own sewing - then by all means splurge and get really nice rods. I have the same type of ringless rods in my dining room and I use the drapes every day in the summer. It is worth spending more money to get a product that will work right. You may be able to find them in any of your local drapery fabric stores. I think the rod in your inspiration photo looks to be a 2 to 2 1/4" diameter rod.

• PRO
    15 years ago

Hey Diana - I looked at your window photo again and I would like to make a suggestion. When you make your new draperies - hang your rod in the middle of the wall space that you have above the window trim to the bottom of your crown molding. So your draperies will go about 4 to 5" above the window frame and the rod will be above that. Don't go all the way up to the crown because you'd have too much empty wall space showing under the pole, but if you come a bit higher than your window trim - it'll make your ceiling appear higher.

I'm guessing that you have about 12 to 14" of wall abave the window. Hang the top of the rod about 6" to 7" above the window frame. : )

• angelcub
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, texaspanhandler! I will be ordering the fabric tomorrow and it should be here in a couple of weeks, hopefully sooner. I'm really loving that plaid and anxious to get sewing with it.

Downsy, thanks! Yes, I thought the blinds might have to stick out a bit. The roller shades do a little, too. I do like the wood blinds. I'll see if the 2" blinds will work. And I agree I need to hang the rod higher. Thank you for all the measurements. I will make a note of them in my LR file. The ceilings are 8 ft. and yes, there is about a foot between the window trim and ceiling. I like the idea of making the ceiling appear higher. We came so close to building the house with 9 foot ceilings but the structural plans were already through the county approval process and we had already been through the wringer on them. We live on a hillside, practically on the San Andreas fault in So.Cal so the house went through some major ($$$) structural engineering.

I'm off to measure for fabric purchasing! Thanks again! : )

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

Angelcub, I'm sure everybody is tired of seeing these pictures but here are my plaid drapes in my great room.

DINING ROOM: I also wanted to show you that I have a similar fringe to the one you are looking at on my dining room drapes.

• lsst
    15 years ago

deborahnj,
    Your drapes are beautiful and really make a statement!

Did you hang the drapes yourself or did you hire it out?

I have a two story great room and have the fabric and even had the builder add wood blocking between the windows in order to hold the drapery hardware.

I just need to have draperies made and the courage to get up there to install the hardware and hang them.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

angel, your selections are beautiful. That yellow and blue is the first fabric sample I ordered when I was beginning my new house and thinking about my great room. Unfortunately the color scheme went another direction. Before it's over though I may be able to sneak a pillow in the bedroom. LOL That chair will look fabulous with the toile. What doesn't look good with toile? Look forward to seeing the finished room.

I love light blue and yellow and would do my entire house in it if people wouldn't have thought me weird. Although today, in an issue of Country Living they featured a house that was all blue and white, throughout. Guess that person didn't care what enyone thought. It was a old country type house and looked fabulous.

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

1sst, I worked with an interior designer and together we settled on the fabric and the rods. The ID hung the drapes and the valances for me. The fabric is silk and I was actually surprised at the total cost in that it came in just under a $1000 for fabric, rods and his cost.

I'm so glad that you liked them because I absolutely love them and smile everytime I see them.

Deb

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

Hi Angel, Thank you! My drapes in the DR were the ones I think everyone got at Tues. Morning long a couple yrs. ago. I bought them from a lady on another decorating board & took down my custom drapes so had to think up an idea on how to make them more custom looking. I inserted alittle bit of tissue paper into the rod pocket & flipped it downward like a valance & scrunched...making them into a floppy top scrunched up valance. Then I added the short rods & rings to keep them full & scrunched. The tissue helped the silk or taffeta (whichever it is) to not slide so they stayed scrunched as did the rings. It was easy since I used clip on rings & the scrunching hid the clippy rings.
    DL.......I bought the rods on JCPenney's a couple of years ago. Got a coupon code & they were on sale too. I don't know if they still have them but you could look & see. Thank you all for the sweet compliments!

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

Hi Diana........Found an old picture of the close up I took when we first hung the drapes. Excuse the white spackle DH put up to fix the holes from the old rods. They are not fixed perfect there yet but I tweaked them later after he fixed the holes. Good luck with your drapes & decorating and have fun with it. Bonnie

• angelcub
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all! Sorry I'm late getting back to this post. I'm a huge LOST fan - ok, true confession, I'm a LOST junkie, lol! - and S5 was Wed. night so what little free time I have has been spent on my favorite LOST forum. : )

Deborahnj, your drapes look amazing and what a way to showcase those gorgeous windows! Love the dining room drapes with the fringe, too. Thank you for showing me both kind. : )

Bonnie, thanks for the additional pic and info. How clever to use the tissue paper to give a floppy valance effect. And your white spackle is definitely excused. The spackle container resides more often in our home than in the garage, so much so that I should probably give it some decorative finish. ; )

Thank you, Brutuses! My favorite colors are yellow, blue and green. I think I saw that house in CL. It was a cottage that someone added onto and did every room in blue and white. I liked most of it, especially the collection of Cornishware, but the bedroom with the blue and white ceiling was a bit much even for this blue lover. Still, I bet it looks much nicer IRL. I hope you get your blue and white room someday. : )

Disappointing update on my plaid fabric. It's been discontinued. : ( I've searched for it online but can't find it. I am going to ask at a fabric store where I shop that mostly sells discontinued fabric. Maybe they can help me find a bolt. I'd make the trip into L.A. if I knew I could find it. The fabric is Richloom, name is Walsh and the color is Cobalt, in case anyone else comes across it. I'd be forever grateful and I'm sure we could think of some way I could return the favor.

I'm going to continue looking at other fabrics, too, although this one was so perfect - all the right colors and size of plaid - it's hard to get the vision of it at the windows out of my head. If I can't find it hopefully I can fall in love with something else. It's only fabric, right? (telling myself that over and over)

Thanks again for all the encouragement and the pictures!
    Diana

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

deborahnj~ I don't recall seeing your drapes in either room. HOly smokes, they are GORGEOUS!! And the price was fabulous. Wish I lived by you... I too have a 2 story great room and figured those windows would just have to stay bare. If I could find something in that price range, I'd have to go for it. :o)
    Gorgeous drapes, everyone. I'm loving the plaid (checks, whatever). Very pretty, each one!!

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

Totally, thank you! The drapes in the GR are single width and pleated. I'm not sure where you are but if you wanted to work with the ID who did mine, I can put you in touch with him. He worked with a vendor here in Columbus, Chelsea House I believe and I ordered the fabric first and then he took it to there workroom to have the panels completed. The hardware is Kirsch and is a standard size not custom.

• lesmis
    15 years ago

Angelcub, sorry to hijack your post here, but I found a link to your beautiful kitchen on the kitchen forums and posted a question there about your floors. Thankfully someone posted saying you were here and that maybe I could get an answer more readily in this forum.

Would you mind telling me what brand of flooring (hickory/pecan) you used in your kitchen? I just love it and will be trying to order flooring this week.

Thanks! And sorry for the hijack!

Kat

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

deborah~ Thanks for the thought. I'm in the south, and I think you mean you are in Ohio?? Thanks for the offer to share designer with me. That is sweet.
    I was looking at my windows in the great room (dreaming of drapes!!) and saw that our floor vents are right where drapes would hang. I had them put right up against the wall so I could still put a big potted silk tree or something someday. I wasn't thinking "drapes" at the time.
    Shoot. Now I can't put drapes there, or they'll be resting on a heater/air conditioner vent on each side.
    Thankfully, that appears to be the only room I made that mistake in. SO... no 2 story drapes for me. I'll just have to drool over your photos. :o)

• angelcub
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks lesmis! And no problem with the floor ?, I'm always happy to help. My floors are from Garrison, engineered, slightly handscraped. I love them overall but I wouldn't recommend them because they scratch too easily. But if you like the look check out mdmc's beautiful kitchen. I think her kitchen is still in the FKB. She has similar floors only hers are Mannington. We almost picked those because we have Mannington upstairs and also had their floors in our kitchen and entry when we originally built the house. Their finish is much better and I rarely got scratches. We didn't go with them on the hickory because they looked a little more rustic than we wanted. Actually, I would have been fine but DH liked the Garrison better. Wish I would have insisted on the Mannington. They've been doing the engineered floors longer than most and really stand behind their product.

Good luck! I hope you can find what you want. Sorry to disappoint on the Garrison.

Diana

• lesmis
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for the info! I'm really glad you mentioned the scratching issue, I have a Border Collie and a farm collie so scratches are a major concern for us!! I know any floor is going to get scratched but if a floor is prone to scratching that will make it even worse!

I will look into the Mannington and see what I think.

Keep posting pictures on your blog I just love looking at it! You are in CA right? We used to live in Lancaster for a short time and my husband is actually out in Valencia/San Clarita at the moment for business. I used to drive down that way and shop at a great country store there, something "Attic" I think, I can't remember the name. It was 19 years ago though so I'm sure it's gone now! Loved that area though!

Kat

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

Great minds think alike, Deborah! These are the drapes in our family room. I make all our window treatments and scored the fabric on sale. I had the lining so my total investment was just over 100 dollars. Restoration hardware was selling the hooks I wanted to hang them from for almost 20 dollars apiece. I got these from an architectural metal place online for 2 dollars. All told for 4 15 foot lined panels, silk for the band I wove through the tops, and the hardware was under 150 dollars. Of course, I did have to listen to my hubby gripe about hanging them! Those hooks took a while!

close up of chenille fabric

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

pattie~
    Those are beautiful. And I like your bamboo blinds below along with. So warm and lovely.
    You girls and your 2 story drapes are inspiring me. And now I could just kick myself for putting those crazy heat vents where I put them on the floor. A huge, giant great room, and I put them right where the drapes would hang. DOH!! :o(

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

Totally, I have vents on the floor also. when necessary, I just push the drapes aside-it works. We're in the South too, so the heat is only on for fairly short periods anyway :)

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

My heat has been running almost non-stop for months now. If it's not 70 degrees out, I'm freezing. LOL! I'll have to keep that in mind. I have a few rooms I should work on first, but maybe I'll get to those windows eventually. ;o) he, he
    Thanks for sharing Pattie. It's good to know that it might be an option to have drapes in there, after all. :o)

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

I'm loving the plaid! We just got a new down comforter (berry red) from The Company Store, and of course they don't have the shams to match...naturally. After seeing this thread, I think I need to get some plaid drapes made for the bedroom, and maybe shams to match, or in a coordinating print.

If anyone else wants to show off your plaid drapes, I'd love it. Thanks!

Susan

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

Pattiem, love your GR, it is like looking in a mirror. LOL! Totally my drapes "kiss" the floor so depending on length you could possibly make it work as the drapes really warm up the space, especially at night.

• angelcub
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pattiem93, your drapes look great on your tall windows. And I really like the creative way you hung them. lol at your hubby comment. My DH would hang them but probably mutter a few choice words while doing so. ; )

Kat, yes, I'm in So.Cal near the town of Wrightwood in the San Gabriels. I'm a native and not going anywhere soon, especially when I see the frigid temps elsewhere in the country. Brrr!!!

I found another plaid I like. I may like it even more than the other one. The colors are calmer and more in keeping with our cottage style. The plaid is a little smaller but I've seen lots of pics with a plaid this size so I know it can work. Another plus, DH likes it a lot. This pic shows it with some other fabrics I brought home. I picked the polka dot because I like a little whimsy in each room. I might make a pillow from it.

{{!gwi}}

Here it is in my dining room. There is a framed opening between it and the LR of about 6 ft. so I'd like the two rooms to coordinate. There is a bay window in this room. I might use it in here or the floral - haven't decided yet.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

I don't know if I'll get any of the others just yet. DH likes the blue and it would look nice on the red chair. It has a small pebble like texture. But it isn't a very thick fabric and I don't think it will hold up well as upholstery fabric so I'll keep looking. I do love the floral and have thought of using it in my kitchen which has three double hung windows side by side over the sink area. I would line the floral with the plaid and do a window treatment in which both fabrics will show. But the floral has a very large repeat which could limit my window treatment options. Decisions, decisions . . .

Thanks for all your help, fellow plaid lovers! : )

Diana

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

OOoh, I liked the boldness of your first set of fabrics. That plaid was very unique. Are you sure you changed your mind on that one??? :o(
    Well, your 2nd set of fabrics is nice too. My fav is the polka dot... fun! But I was loving that first set with the toile, etc. Not that you're taking a vote. :o) he, he
    When will you decide? Is this your next project? Can't wait to see what you do. Everyone's plaid drapes on this thread are just beautiful!!

• PRO
    15 years ago

I love your new choices!!!

• angelcub
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi totally! The first plaid fabric has been discontinued so I had to start over. And the fabric really isn't that bold - I had to take the pic with my phone and the colors came out darker than they actually are IRL. But thanks for chiming in and don't worry about "voting" : ) To answer your questions, yes, this is my next project after I make a friend's kitchen window treatment. The plaid drapes will go in my living room and I will probably use the plaid in the dining room or kitchen, too.

Downsy, I was hoping you'd have a chance to take a look at the new choice. The more I look at the new one the more I like it better than the first one. DH and I tend to like cool, calm color schemes so I think we'll be happy with the new plaid. And I think I'll make it with the fringe like the inspiration pic I posted. JoAnn's has all their braid/fringe on sale so I'll try and find something to match when I order the fabric.

I'm getting excited again! : ) I just love remaking a room. : p

Diana

• PRO
    15 years ago

I hope you will do a follow up post after you have your room done. I would love to see it!

I saw your kitchen the other day on the kitchen forum (someone had a link to your blog) and your kitchen is fantastic as well as your yard!

Your fabrics will look good in your setting!

• avaclark
    15 years ago

I found that Penny's has a nice selection of ready to make materials. I chose these but need a new rod which I have ordered.

{{!gwi}}

• angelcub
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ooohhh, avaclark, those are stunning! Thank you for sharing! : )

Downsy, I will be sure to take some follow up pics. It may be a while since it will take a few weeks to get the fabric and then sew & hang them. DH is always happy to help, loves to use his tools, so the hanging should go smoothly.

And thanks for the nice compliments on the kitchen and gardens. They have both been a labor of love. I need to add some new kitchen pics on my site of the open shelves and fridge cabinet. I've just been running in so many different directions lately that I always forget about updates. Btw, it's just a site that Apple provides with their .mac accounts. No blogging - yet. ; )

Thanks again everyone! I have been so inspired by all your pics and kind words. : )

• suzqu17_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I had some plaid drapes made for my living room. Love how they look BUT on one panel the plaid does not line up at the top. It is 1 inch off. The drapery maker said she measured from the bottom up and that the plaid is off. Hmm! How can 3 panels match and the 4th be off. It is a woven plaid and is lined. She is going to make another panel but is not guaranteeing it will match. She says she has 30 years experience. I think something is wrong with the fabric for the construction. I have many years in the sewing industry too. Do you have any tips