Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soccermom811

Paint Color for North Facing Room

soccermom811
9 years ago

DH and I have just decided to purchase a stand alone townhome that was originally a custom build and fell through. It is open plan and the great room windows face north - only one window in the dining area is east facing. Trim and cabinetry are a creamy white. I had to choose a paint color quickly today and chose SW Worldly Gray. I"m wondering if any of you out there have used this color in your rooms with north facing windows and could share photos? I typically use more color on my walls, my current great room is painted SW Ethereal Mood and I just love it, but it was not right for the light in this new home. Thank you SO much for the help! I also need to find a great color for my MBR, which also has a very large, north facing window....

Comments (10)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

In north facing rooms, I'd use a warm color that has some depth to it. Light in north facing rooms doesn't work with the paint, so the paint has to do the work itself. I think Worldly Gray might be too cool and light and look dingy in the lack of sunlight.

For the MBR, Go even deeper with a color to create an even cozier and more luxurious feeling in the room.
    Ethereal Mood is a beautiful color and has the right depth, but it's a cool neutral. I'd take a look at SW warm neutrals.

Maybe something like SW Avenue Tan or Colonial Revival Stone.

For the MBR, do you want neutral or a color?

Here is a link that might be useful: Colors for north facing rooms

• violetwest
    9 years ago

watching this thread with interest. tibbrix, that link, here's the bottom line:

i"f you have a north facing room with a small, insignificant window then yes, paint it a rich, dark colour; however if you still have brightness in the room, keeping the colour even a light beige or grey will still add way more warmth and personality to the room over white. "-

but none of the pictures show that--they all show rooms with plenty of light. quite a conundrum

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I have a north-facing LR with a 5' x 9' window. It's open to the dining area, which has an east-facing window. Our MB is on the second floor facing north with a window about the same size. Our upstairs MB is bright and light because it still has the original white. The downstairs is darker and our medium tone BM Georgian Green is feeling too dark three seasons of the year and will be repainted. My advice is paint it a color, blue, green, lavender, whatever, and stick with cleaner tones. Don't go dark and lose the light you do have. Don't go with muddy putty colors which will depress you. I haven't tried gray because our LR colors are warm-toned.

• steph2000
    9 years ago

I'm also following this thread with interest, living in a north facing ranch with short ceilings and deep eaves in a neighborhood filled with the same. My wants for my redo are to go either with whites/lights (but not pastels, which I don't like much) or more cool/muddied colors, but what really looks best when I am doing drive-bys through my neighborhood are saturated warmer tones like oranges/terracottas, golds or jean looking blues which have gray in them but are strong enough not to look washed out or drab.

I went warm last time I painted and loved it, though I went too muted with the gold tones on the west side and it wasn't really quite right - too muddied and almost dirty looking.

Quite the dilemma...

This post was edited by Steph2000 on Thu, Jan 22, 15 at 12:03

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I have SW Antique White in most of my house. I have one window--about 4 wide and quite tall--in my dining room with a northern exposure. The houses in my neighborhood are on small lots and quite close. On the north side is a fence shared with my neighbor on which various plants climb. The greenery thus has a southern exposure and so reflects green into my house. During the summer my creamy white kitchen cabinets have a slightly green cast. My brain adjusts what my eyes see and the cabs still read white to me. But there can be a color influence outside over which many have no control.

• User
    9 years ago

I have BM Wyethe Blue in my north facing rooms (north windows only) and it looks amazing. I also have a room with BM Palladium Blue but it's not as pretty. I was pleasantly surprised how well the blues worked in the darker rooms but apparently because it is so saturated, it works.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Cleo, I have SW Languid Blue in the MBR which gets no natural light, and it is beautiful, esp. at night. I wish I'd gone with a slightly different blue but of the same depth, though. But I love it.

I don't think I'd do the body of a house, though, in blue, just individual rooms. But to each her own, right?

• soccermom811
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll post pictures after the painting is done. It may turn out to be a disaster. The walls are a beige color now and in daylight it is a nice color, but artificial light turns the walls orange-y which I can't stand. I just prefer the gray tones which seems to go against all advice for a north facing room!

• User
    9 years ago

Tibbrix
    I'll have to check out that color for my master. I'm only in there at night so how it looks at night is more important. I started out with 2 downstairs rooms in Wyethe blue and 1 bedroom in Palladium. Both my teenagers (boy and girl) love the colors so their bedrooms are going those colors. So all but 2 rooms in my house will be those 2 blues. I can't believe my whole house were various shades of yellows and golds just three years ago.