Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blasted floor registers; can I set bed over floor vent?

Posted by caroline (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 20, 10 at 22:09

I want to rearrange the master bedroom. I want to center the bed on the west wall, in front of a 48" window that looks out to the sunroom. I would add a long rod and cover the entire bed/nightstands area with drapes. This would completely cover the window and add a backdrop to the bed/headboard.

There is a heat vent, set in the floor and centered under the window. The headboard would be over the heat vent. The drapes would not touch the vent.

Is this a fire/safety hazzard?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blasted floor registers; can I set bed over floor vent?

If by vent you mean a hot air vent, rather than a baseboard, there is no safety issue. But it will negatively affect the efficiency of the system.

o

Not only will you be blocking the heat from warming up the room, but you will have a very, very dusty area under there. Could you get some sort of extension - a "duct" that you can connect to the register that would maybe carry the heat through the duct and out from under the bed, preferably the foot of the bed? I don't know if I'm explaining myself clearly.

o

Thanks, folks.

Sue36 - It is a vent, not a baseboard, so I'm going to try duct extension. Right now my long dresser is over the vent, but the dresser is only 18" deep and had 8" tall legs.

SameBoat - The duct sounds like something I could do! I could run it out and under the nightstand and have it blowing toward the door that leads to the cold mudroom.

o

Here you go:

vent extensions

o

Yay! That's what I meant. Good luck and enjoy your new set-up!

o

These are the ones I use for the same purpose, also from Improvements catalog.

I just wouldn't be storing much of anything under the bed.

Here is a link that might be useful: air deflector

o

Les, I've never seen that kind of deflector. Neat. I wonder if HoDe or Lowes carries them?
Pammy I've used those before but not under a low piece of furniture. Do they work for that?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here