Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momof2boys2009

Need Painting Help!

momof2boys2009
10 years ago

We have a garden level family room, with an office, laundry room, and basement door off of it. We are renovating part of the space and repainting the whole space. I've included pictures to give you an idea of the space, my questions are at the bottom.

Three doors come off family room and lead to the office (the left one), the laundry room (the one straight ahead), and the basement (the right door)

See the corner wall to the right of the TV stand? We are taking that out at 45 degrees, and putting in french doors at an angle. This will let a lot more light in and open the room a little. The room on the other side is the office. Here are my plans for the room so far:

Remove carpet, lay walnut colored hardwood floors and an extra large area rug.

Retexture the walls, removing the popcorn ceiling, and installing a ceiling light in the room.

Paint all the trim and ceiling white.

Barnstyle Wainscoting underneath the ledge that goes around half the room, painted white (the ledge will be white too) - will also be on either side of the fireplace

And shutters like below in the windows above the couch:

The paint color on the upper half of the walls (above the wainscoting) would be a greyish blue - considering Polaris Blue by Benjamin Moore. The rest of the main part of the house is going to be Windham Cream by Benjamin Moore.

And I am contemplating whether I should leave the brick fireplace the red brick that it currently is, or staining it in different shades of brown. And lastly, my end tables, coffee table, and TV stand will all be painted white OR stained in a wood color to match either the walnut floors or the fireplace mantel.

My questions are:

1. Will it look silly to have two have walls in the greyish-blue paint, and the other two solid greyish-blue? The wall behind the TV and wall behind the loveseat will be completely blue.
  2. In the area with the three doors, see the "ceiling" there that is lower than the actual ceiling?? Should this be painted the actual ceiling color or should it be the greyish- blue that will be painted around those doors tthat will continue from the family room?

Comments (2)