Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eclectic or Jumbled

Posted by mtnrdredux (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 9, 14 at 21:56

I want an unfitted and unmathced kitchen, but I am starting to worry nothing goes together at all. Here is a mood board. I own the stove and the chairs, am about to order the Marmoleum Floor and the table. The wall paper is a minor feature (it goes on the back wall of the glass hutch in the kitchen, and the glass cabs in the BP).

photo Screenshot2014-01-09at55702PM.png

Does it work together? Nothing else is set yet (wall color, WT, cabinet color and work table color). As a reminder, this is the layout.

photo Screenshot2014-01-09at55738PM.png

PLEASE NOTE the layout is illustrative, only the stove and the white sink are things I own ... none of the rest is set yet.

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Thu, Jan 9, 14 at 22:05

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eclectic or Jumbled

Hi, Mtn!

My initial "hit" from your mood board is that the blue and white french chairs and the blue and white marmoleum floors are kind of matchy for the eclectic, collected, unfitted look. I wouldn't do a checkerboard floor. Maybe all one color with a contrasting inset border stripe. Or even very wide 20" stripes.

Also not sure about the smooth golden finish of the table. It seems like it should be either more antique-y rustic farmhouse OR something modern. This table is sort of in between. Now that I keep scrolling back to look, maybe the checkerboard and chairs would look great together, just with a different table....

I love where you're going with this!!

o

Well, that is somewhat of a relief that you think the chair and the Marmoleum might be matchy matchy! My biggest fear was that they won't work together. That a french and casual chair in white and navy does not go with 40's linoleum floor in grey and cream.

I see your point about the table. But I don't think the kitchen should be rustic, even though my layout shot looks a little distressed. My CT house is pretty rustic and distressed, which I think works since it was built as a farmhouse. But the house for this project, although a summer home for us, is actually more formal...

o

Apologies...the chair and floor both look blue and white on my monitor. It seemed like a lot of blue and white.

o

I smiled when you said you owned the stove and the chairs. The table..... there's something about the little rounded footies which seems off to me.

Also - since you asked - not sure the fabric on the sink is such a great idea being semi-close to the stove. Here's my thought process - I go through this regularly with my kids in their long sleeved robes with long sleeves, reaching over to light the gas stove or adjust the temperature of something already heating/cooking. Constant vigilance....

P.S. Edited to say I love the wallpaper.

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Thu, Jan 9, 14 at 23:15

o

Honest feedback....I'm not a fan of either the table or the chairs with the kitchen, though I think they go together pretty well with each other...love the marmoleum!

Your kitchen makes me think of enameled table top with wooden scrolled legs and wooden chairs, painted....

o

I like the components you have collected and think they will work really well together, although I'm not crazy about the skirted sink. Love your choice of flooring!

o

I like everything except the table. Even though you don't want it to match or.... there still needs to be a unifying 'something' to tie things together. The table has nothing in common with anything. As is currently stands I might try to get a table that is either style-wise or woodtone-wise more in keeping with the chairs.

HOWEVER, are the cabinets going to be painted or wood stained because the style and colour may help to dictate the table as well.

Actually, a little bit of what bothers me is that I think the table top needs to be a little more substantial.

o

I am not a fan of the table either. I think it just looks sort of blah. Sorry to say that.

I also think that you should center your range on the wall. It might just be me and my need for symmetry. However, just thought I would mention it.

Your kitchen is going to be gorgeous! I love your house and cannot wait to see the after pics.

ps I also love that range. Its a perfect fit for your kitchen!

o

Everything has a good flow but not matchy-matchy. Except the table and chairs seem off.

I think a formica table and chairs would look great and go with the retro kitchen.

Ignore the matchy-matchy here, but look at the tables when you scroll down.

Here is a link that might be useful: Retro kitchen appliances & dinettes

o

I agree with Annie on the enameled table top, but I would go with straight legs. I have one from my grandmother's kitchen in our laundry. It would be perfect in that kitchen. I imagine there are lots to be found if you look.

Not a fan of the wallpaper even in small doses. Looks like you are trying too hard. If it were already there, I wouldn't mind it, but it strikes me as a tad too much "look, I have a vintage kitchen!" Of course, as always, jmho.

o

mtnrdredux-

I like all most of the elements, but I'm not a fan of the wallpaper (even in a limited application), it's too twee for the boldness of the other choices IMO. Seems to be a lot of opinions on the table, I like it, but I'm not a fan of enamel topped tables (I never sat at one that didn't feel flimsy), and I think the look is far too casual for your home, even in the kitchen.

Good luck-

sandyponder

o

Actually I love everything except for the wall paper. The wall paper to me is too .... I don't exactly know the word I am looking for. If you are going for a kitchen print I think a white background with french blue teapots would look nice. I did a search and all the papers I can come up with are way too cutesy. I was thinking elegant teapots not cutesy ones.

I believe the round footsies on the table are actually casters? I like the table and don't think the top needs to look more substantial as you will not have the table edge in your direct sight line and the chairs will be pushed in anyway. An enameled table would be nice as well but wouldn't it be difficult to find one that is long enough?

I adore your choice in chairs. I remember your post regarding them. I am so glad that they were your final choice.

The marmoleum is gorgeous, I love checkerboard floors. and that stove is TDF! I really think that your elements are all leading to the eclectic look that you are going for and yet also look wonderful with the other elements.

o

I think the floor is what is throwing me off. I like all of the elements separately, but there's something off-kilter when they are all together. Perhaps a solid colored floor would create a calm backdrop against which all of the other elements could shine.

o

Is there enough landing space on either side of the sink? When I wash dishes I pile them to the right, wash them and then pile the clean dishes on the left to be dried. It's hard to tell from your design. It all appears a bit blue to me. Perhaps change the fabric on the chairs? Overall,it is lovely and I am so jealous that you are getting marmoleum.

o

First off, I think it's hard to pull off eclectic, but also expect your kitchen is going to turn out really well. I like everything together, but like many of the other commenters I think the table is a little off. I like the shape and like that it's wood, but think it needs a slightly darker stain - not much darker, but enough to ground it more.

I am not sure about the wallpaper, but I kind of like it. I like the idea of where you plan to use it. I think I would have to see the hutch in the room again to have a firm opinion. It's definitely eclectic, which is totally to my personal taste. Are/were there other wallpapers in the running?

Not that this is at all the look you are going for, but I think this unfitted kitchen is fabulously eclectic!

Here is a link that might be useful: eclectic kitchen

o

I think it all goes well together, but I would use everything and skip the wallpaper. Too cutesy. Why not just paint those accent areas either color of DW or work table/bench? Or leave hutch as is and only paper or paint in butler's pantry.

o

Fun2,
Yes, that's what has me scratching my head too. But the floor hunt has already been a long saga. The existing floor is a nice hardwood that could easily be refinished. But I really really want Marmoleum. And I personally don't like the solids. But the tiles only come in 30 colors, so it's kind of hard. One complexity is that the floor, being on a different plane and being a very different scale then on my moodboard, will probably be far less prominent that it looks.

HollyKay,
Thanks for your input! Yes, the chairs are Serena and Lily and just arrived. I am impressed with them. They are only $200 each and I got them under a promotion for $150 each. You are correct, we want/need at least a 7' table, and I have never seen an enameled one even close. We need to seat 6-8.

Sandy,
Thanks. The wall paper is not really at issue. I am usually sooooo conservative in my decor, this is certainly a place to take some risk and have a little fun. Frankly, it will be about as noticeable as a petticoat.

Cyn,
I have looked; it was my first choice. They are all too small by far. The wallpaper to me is a tad modern, almost Fornasetti-esque.

Oakley, even though the Marmoleum skews that way, I am not thinking 50s dinette. Plus, I cannot find tables long enough of that genre.

Atkillery, thank you! I love the table for itself, but I do hesitate on it in the room. That said, ive not found anything I care for that seats 6/8.
As for centering the range, I want the d/w to the right of the sink so this arrangment just flows from that constraint. I also like the way it divided into three 5' wide masses across the wall.

BLFenton, It occurs to me I am doing some dissservice by not showing something the table does "match" --- the existing hutch and the door colors (all trim to be painted white, but doors will stay stained). Here is the china closet:
 photo Screenshot2013-08-30at84441AM.png

Pipdog - I will skirt the sink, but I have no idea what fabric I will use. Thank you!

Annie, My first choice would have been enamel but they are mostly 4-tops. We currently have an 8' table there and want at least a 7'-er. Any other table ideas?

Oldbat2be, thanks! The skirted sink used to be NEXT to the stove, so this should make you happy. There is no fire hazard, even with towels draped on the door!

Shanghai, There is a lot of blue in the grey tile. But the chair is straight on navy and white, the tile doesn't match at all.

ALL --- if I stick with these choices, what color would you make the custom items? Ie the table to the right of the stove, and the d/w cab to the right of the sink?

thanks!

o

Dedtired - the sink has a double drainboard, so that is what I think of an my landing area. The BP sink is integrated in a 7' wide countertop. Both sinks will have a d.w drawer to the right. The chairs are woven vinyl; no changes possible. IRL it looks almost b/w

Marina, Thank you. ANd that is one cool kitchen. I was thinking of backing the hutch with tile or even fabric. I looked at a lot of vintage wallpapers and none struck the right note. This one is by Anthro, and I am a sucker for all they do. I am totally set on the wallpaper as a bit of whimsy in a subtle place.

Allison, thanks for your input! The wallpaper, if it is a mistake, will be so easy to fix.

What colors would you guys make the custom wood pieces in the line up?

o

What are the color names and numbers of the Marmoleum shown above?

I think the cream may be too yellow, and if you made a simple change to a white with cool undertones, it may tie all colors together much better.

o

Do you like this look? To me, it's a bit softer than checkered yet still fits nicely in a waterfront, classic home ... sort of preppy with a modern flair.

You could do white and two light shades of blue or gray.

You may have to special order the truer white.

o

Here's another example of the plaid design.

o

I haven't read all responses and at first thought the table did not work, however after looking at a larger pic of the wallpaper at Anthro realize the shape of the feet on the table is similar to the shape of the spoons in the wallpaper. As I'm sure you know, with eclectic style it's important to repeat color, shape, texture, etc. to tie elements together.

IMO repeating the color navy is important and that can be done thru WT and accessories.

The color of the floor tiles seems a good fit with the colors in the wallpaper and can be considered fairly neutral.

The color of the table seems similar to the color of the bentwood of the chairs.

So if you like these elements I think with other appropriate choices it will all work.

o

Now that I see the hutch and read luckygal's excellent point about the shapes of the wallpaper reflecting the feet/casters on the table, I am starting to really like that Anthro paper. I hope you use it (please, please!!).

In terms of color for the custom wood pieces, I would grab unifying greys/blues from the dove grey marmoleum, from the range trim and the wall paper.

o

Sink sounds good. I say eclectic, not jumbled. Just don't lean too far in the direction of blue.

o

Personally I think all of your choices are spot on!!! I love the flooring, it's going to look super. The chairs are fabulous and the table is so interesting with the chairs that they make a real decorator's statement. I'd stay the course and continue on. I see no mistakes, it all works well together and that's on a board. Imagine how fantastic it will look in person. You have an amazing instinct for decor. Trust your instinct.

o

Hi Jujubean,

The Marmoleum colors are, somewhat inaccurately "white marble" , and Dove Grey. There are no colors that are more cream or white. Odd, no?

I like the grey and white plaid floor, but it is not Marmoleum. I bet that floor might be a UK product. Most of the product I can find here is either faux stone or faux wood and/or very poor quality.

Lucky, thank you! Yes, in fact, I was just thinking to myself --- repeat shapes, or colors, or styles.

Marina, Dedtired, Yayagal, Thank you! I am newly emboldened. Plus DH tells me : don't be so afraid of making a mistake!

o

I love everything, except not sure about the balls on the table legs. I think, though, that once installed, it will all come together.

I posted about those chairs in your earlier post and I also ordered them, but delivery is supposed to be around Jan 14. I'm happy to hear the quality is good. I'm using ours with a farm table style made by DH with metal u-shaped end legs.

I'd love to see an actual picture of one of the chairs, if you can.

o

Mtn, you are right-I have never seen a really big table like the one we have either. Ours is 39"x25". You could squeeze six if you had little people-ha, too bad.

As to sturdiness, the enameled top is one inch thick (perfect condition-black along edge, white top) and the base is sturdy as anything I have ever owned. Too bad they didn't make larger ones back then.

Anyway, I agree with your DH: enjoy the journey and don't stress about possible mistakes.

o

I find the legs on the table to be jarring. They don't go with the legs on the chair.It's not just the rounded feet, but the curvy shape of the legs that don't complement the chair legs. The floor tiles and the chair, on the other hand, do look as if they play well together.

o

Oh, i forgot to mention something to the person who wanted the table to be darker? It's a shaker workshop kit, so you can finish it as dark as you like.

Anyone have any alternate table suggestions that come in 7 or 8' length?

PS Dee. I will take a photo. They are sturdy and generous, comfy to sit in too.

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 17:27

o

I am going to add to the chorus of table doubters. The wheels(?) seem to throw things off. Tell us, what is it about that table that you like? I seem to remember you sharing that your husband might assemble it?

o

Look at Canadel for customizable wooden tables (http://canadel.udesign.ws/), Restoration Hardware for a zinc and cast iron table with a bistro feel. The RH table comes in 92" length.

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration Hardware table

o

Thank you for your response re: the floor. Personally, I would probably re-finish the existing wood floor, but I understand your desire to use a different material in that environment.

To recap, you will have a grey and cream floor, navy and white chairs, a white stove, a white sink, cream (?) subway tile backsplash, orange/brown wood furniture and doors, an as-yet unknown fabric skirt for the sink and small bits of colorful wallpaper with a white (?) background. Does that all sound correct?

I guess your custom wood pieces could be almost any color depending on how much contrast you want with the other elements. You could use deep saturated colors for crispness like your chairs, pale watery tints to keep the room light and airy or greyed out hues for a moodier look. I can see any of those options working. It just depends on your vision.

o

I just think a nice bedticking or faux bedticking in a lighterweight fabric if you chose, would make a nice skirt given your colors and most likely lend another item of authenticity to the room.

o

You could go with 2 separate enameled tables...maybe in the same color way if they differ in style...would go along with the unfitted look of the rest of the kitchen...

o

I don't look at your choices as eclectic or jumbled, just comfortable. It took me a bit to warm to the wallpaper but I did especially after reading how little of it there will be.
I really love the table, wood wheels and all!
On the painted pieces either side of the range are you planning to paint the same color or have them stained?

o

Hi Eandhl,
Thanks!
The painted pieces on either side of the range are being custom made. My inclination is to paint them. The glass hutch will remained stained, and all of the butler's pantry is stained, too.

Annie,
That occurred to me. But I really think, functionally, we will want a nice big long table to congregate, and even prep.

Patricia,
I like that idea!

Fun, There is so much wood in the house that I don't want the floor to be wood. I would really like painted wood, but even the painter hated that idea as impractical.

To recap, you will have a grey and cream floor, navy and white chairs, a white stove, a white sink, cream (?) subway tile backsplash, orange/brown wood furniture and doors, an as-yet unknown fabric skirt for the sink and small bits of colorful wallpaper with a white (?) background. Does that all sound correct? Yes, although the tile has not been purchased, leaning toward white subway (suppressed yawn)

Suero, thanks! I will look.

Deee --- you recall correctly. The table is a copy of a Shaker tailoring table, from a Shaker village not too far away in Maine. And yes, you can buy it in kit form and DH wanted to assemble/finish it.

o

A mockup of a Canadel 8 foot long table with your chair and floor. The table finish can be changed.

o

Suero - yes, yes!

But perhaps even better with jujubean71's plaid design (and maybe not but boy do I love that floor - oh where can I add it....?).

Mtn-you're incredibly gracious with your responses:). It's going to be lovely and I for one am so enjoying being 'in' on your decorating decisions.

o

If t were me I'd go for a toile wallpaper and a butcher block table with metal legs. Love the chairs.

o

Although I so so so enjoy admiring the many gorgeous kitchens posted on GW, at the same time I tire of the seriousness of most, and feel your small dose of wallpaper will be a refreshing touch of whimsey, and will be completely in keeping with a relaxed vibe....love it!!!! Must also add my fantasy kitchen was always completely unfitted, and it saddens me a bit to know it will never happen for me. But I can live vicariously through yours!

o

Haven't read any replies so sorry if this is redundant, but if think it all goes very well together except the chairs. Love the chairs, just wrong color?

o

I love everything together except the table. I think that the whole unfitted kitchen will be great, and I agree you want a big single table. I'd like to see something like an antique farmhouse table. The closest I could find is this, it's reproduction and available in any size and a variety of woods, by a Vermont company. And you can put it together yourself too as a kit.
natural wood finish

Painted finish

or the French Farmhouse table

As far as fabrics for the skirt, I'm thinking a single color on white/cream, like a toile or a ticking stripe. If it were me I'd choose a toile (insert cheesy grin), but a ticking stripe might be more in keeping with the rest of what you've got going on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermont_Farmtable

o

I have to preface this with saying I think you have exquisite taste-
I guess this is too new to my eyes so I cant say I love it. However, I think the "plaid marmoleum" that Fun posted is an absolute great suggestion. I also like the last few tables posted including the Canadel and ones in the post above mine are good...

o

I know that this house is tending less toward rustic and more toward elegant, but your mention of wanting/loving painted floors made me think of a wonderful bedroom floor in a house we rented in Martha's Vineyard a couple of summers ago. I can definitely see why a painter would view this as bad, but I absolutely adored it. I'm not suggesting that a painted floor would be practical for your new kitchen, but I know you gravitate to patina as much as I do. So not a suggestion, but I just thought you'd enjoy seeing this.

photo DSC02883_zpsfbaf7688.jpg

I really like the suggestion of plaid vs. checkerboard Marmoleum. I saw another great photo recently; I'm not sure I can find it again, but I'll take a look.

o

I found the picture I was looking for, but I'm not sure if the link will work...

Here is a link that might be useful: plaid floor

o

I love your choices... love the stove! love the table-- and very likely *because* of some of the things that bother others. Part of what I love about the eclectic look are the things that are interesting and odd. They add spice, visual interest and that bit of ever so slight discordance that I like in every room.

I love that the chairs add a freshness to the vintage space. I am a bit unsure of the floor tile with the chairs but then I'd stick with the wood or painted wood. Not encouraging you to change your plan for the marmoleum-- just explaining that I don't have much of an opinion on what you do with it.

I love the wallpaper-- what fun! But I only like it for your space if youre not going with the funky dishes you were looking at a month ago. I havent been on the boards much lately so I don't know if you've changed your direction. Too much funk and cuteness in the built ins will read as chaos vs charmingly interesting.

Totally agree with your DH. Don't stress so much. You have an excellent eye, a great knack for making disparate elements work together and good sense of how much whimsy to bring in. The day I tried to start "working on" my decor was the day I started losing the charm in my home. You are so clear on your vision. Go for what delights you and have the confidence that you will make it work.. because you will!

ps.. i like a muddy gray blue for the cabinets but could also see a medium blue-green .. or to go wayyyy outside the expected, a light pumpkin or medium dark salmon. It's perhaps too dark but i looooove F&B downpipe.

o

While I love eclectic decor I know not everyone does, not do many 'get' it. Eclectic decor sometimes has elements that make many people scratch or shake their heads in disagreement. For me, it's all about the unique mix and the ability to use things that at first glance one may think do not 'go' together. However I think that table is one of those unique items which creates the tension that makes the decor in your kitchen eclectic and as I said before works well with the wallpaper.

Please, please, please, do not use toile nor the expected farmhouse table. While I love both of these they have been so overused that they are not even in the running for the type of decor you are envisioning. They would reduce the eclectic vibe and make your kitchen just another ho-hum-follow-the-crowd.

Eclectic is the style where one can take several disparate elements that one loves and have it work for you. Go with your instincts, they are not failing you. I love the fact your husband wants to put that table together and finish it - perhaps it will become a family heirloom.

o

One think to remember about this house (and I think mtn is keeping this in mind as she picks things):

This isn't a residence, this is a vacation house.

I think you can make choices that are a bit different and maybe not so deadly serious when it isn't the place you live in most of the time.

One thing I miss about the old camp/cottage/shorehouse culture is that these houses used to be graveyards for things from the primary residence and that made for a nice casual mix of sometimes ugly or off the wall things that were still kind of pleasant. So often now, these houses are so "done" it's like staying in a hotel or retreat and I think that something has been lost.

o

I agree, ineffable. My parents bought a lake "cottage" in the early '50s. It didn't have plumbing when it was built and my parents actually dug a cellar (with two friends!) so they could install a furnace. Yep, first time this old place had central heating was around 1952. And this was in Wisconsin.

I still have a couple of pieces the original owners left behind, an old mantle clock and a small table that I currently use in my bedroom. These were obviously considered old castaways. I think it's these sorts of things that make a home interesting, particularly a weekend/vacation home. It's that collected-over-the-years vibe.

I like all the pieces you've selected, mtnredux. My two cents, I prefer the checkerboard pattern over the plaid. My first choice of flooring would be the old wood, probably painted, but I would definitely choose practicality first if the wood floor would need a lot of upkeep.

o

Haven't read all the responses, but I think that the table and chairs work together. OK, their background is English and French, but the table is functional with simple lines, chairs are iconic, informal, relatively simple lines (from the 1850s). Both are comfortable, unfussy, low maintenance. If the table functions for you (my concern would be the low apron and the wheels rolling away), I'd go for it, especially if your DH can build and finish it. I also like Suero's table, which has similar lines as the shaker table.
French rattan cahirs and simple tables:

o

I love all your choices so far, except something about the table throws me off. I'm not sure if it's the little balls on the feet or the color of finish. The chairs are lovely. I think the checkerboard floor is perfect as is. I like it better than the plaid or border idea. And I've been excited about your skirted sink since you first posted it. I think it will be fabulous! As for the colors of the painted pieces, I would probably try to find my fabrics first then decide how strong or subtle to go with them. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

o

The table has wooden casters, not balls. Do people see them as balls or bun feet, and perceive it as modernist? I wonder if this makes it easier to see? We can finish it however we like; it comes unfinished. We would try to match the built in hutch.

Here is a link that might be useful: fyi

o

I like all of it. I wouldn't choose the chairs myself, but that is a personal preference, not an aesthetic one. My girlfriend has marmoleum in five different shades arranged in a random pattern with deep red cabinets and iron hardware...it's amazing. I wanted marmoleum for our bar area but I was outvoted. I think your choices are perfect for their application.

o

Mtnrdredux, I liked this view much better. It is more apparent the feet are casters, not spoon or bun feet. This table can easily work with your other items to give you the look you wish to achieve.

o

Yes, they looked like some sort if bun feet on your board. But now that I can actually see it, I like the the table. I love casters. I think you've got it all figured out. Eclectic!

o

Regarding your table, the casters are apparent, but the appeal of this table depends upon whether you view casters as utilitarian or as a design element (function vs form). Functionally, they're fine. Functionally, every piece of furniture we own should have casters, really.

In terms of form, the legs of the table (and perhaps the top) may not be visually "hefty" enough to warrant the casters, which tend to dominate the table's design. I suspect this is what's throwing off many who've commented.

o

I'm heading towards a dark grey, or grey/navy for the DW drawers and table to the right of range. Are you doing a range hood or range hood built into a shelf above the stove and DW?
The rest of the choices will work well but I'd get the 8 foot table or at least something that could pull out to eight .
Are all of your chairs the same? I love them and my DH picked that style for our kitchen but 6-8 of them seem bulky to me. If it unfitted I might have a couple smaller painted chairs too. Maybe paint one of the existing benches.
What's the wall color - a white? Please please do the plaid floor...
Love to see the table dressed in a stripe runner. Love the ticking for the sink skirt.
Geez I wish you'd rent this place when you're finished. Just to us GW folk tho

o

If DH is serious about making the table himself you should also check out this website. Several people on GW suggested it to me when I was hunting for an extra long table.

We eventually found a great table in a dusty warehouse manned by aging hippies who like to repurpose old wood. So unfortunately I can't give a personal recommendation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Table legs and tops

o

Hi PPBenn, I think grey and or navy would be pretty too. We have to have some sort of "mechanical ventilation" by code, darn it. SO if that means what I think it does, I will put a hood between both windows, and tile it.
Yes, we are going with the 8 footer. We ordered 6 of the rattan chairs; we will supplement with two small painted chairs we already own, as needed. The wall is going to be off white. As for the plaid floor, I am really fed up with flooring choices. Most of it is vinyl, not linoleum, and the choices are very scant! Most of it looks like a cheap Dr.s office. Marmoleum is the product I want, but there are only 30 colors in tiles!! And they do not recommend cutting the sheets into tiles (a lot more colors available in sheets). I have no idea where the plaid came from, but I don't know where to source it.
As for renting, I am the only one in the family who thinks it's a good idea. Oh well. Maybe I will have a GW cocktail party? That'd be fun.

Peony, Interesting points. I think one thing that is tricky is the vantage point for the table is such that I wonder what you'll even see, especially with the chairs.

I have decided I am going with the table. My DH wants to make it, and it's good quality cherry wood. I like history of the style, and we took a trip to a pottery maker who carries the line. There we saw it in person and sat at it. So few of our alternatives will allow us to do that; actually see, touch, feel.

Thank you Sweet, Patricia and Geo

o

My two cents- I think everything is great except for the table. IMO, peony nailed it about what's throwing the table off, for some.

o

mtn, I posted before I saw what you said about going with the table. Good for you for going with what you love! Your kitchen is going to be wonderful!

o

Mtn, I am so glad you are staying with the beautiful table. In my opinion the dimensions, wheels, legs are perfectly balanced.

This post was edited by eandhl on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 16:59

o

I like the table but I do not like the chairs. I think there is a difference between magazine eclectic and honest eclectic. My house is old, like yours, with similar Architectural details. It's eclectic and it's taken time to perfect. Be patient with your beach house. Not everything needs to be planned ahead of time and make the hunt part if the process. Focus on the kitchen basics like layout, sink, cabinets, appliances right now to avoid design mistakes. Get to know the house and listen to what it is saying to you.

Like Dee, we've waited and hunted for the perfect such and such. Sometimes, we didn't know what we were looking for until we found it. We've combined things that represent our lives, adventures and varied tastes. I love the antique typewriter in my bathroom but until I found it, I didn't know that was what was missing.

I have Marmoleum called 'All the colors of the Rainbow', with a border stripe. It's five years old and I love, love, love it. It's my happy floor, filled with reds and pinks. Too bad they quit making the pattern because it would be beautiful in that. I get so many compliments on my floor. The grey and cream checker board is a very safe choice. Kind of blah.

Your house will come together but I fear if you try to do everything at once, you might have some regrets. Focus on the foot print, the rest will follow.

Good luck and have fun.

o

The way the picture of the table is taken, you see it more from an upward shot. IRL, you'll look at it from above or at most straight on, so you'll see less of the apron and the casters.

o

Golddust,

Your advice is sage, but, I have to admit, falls totally on deaf ears. Patience, shall we say, is not my virtue. I think you are totally right, but I will never do it. I feel the need to get everything perfect ... by Memorial Day, haha.

Partly it is just my personality, and part of it is experience. In my first home (the home before my CT house), I tended to do things over time instead of the whole house at once. In the end, I thought that was dumb. Other than budget issues, which I don't mean to dismiss, I see no reason not to do it all right away and enjoy it!

And as for the chairs, they were presented as a given, both because I bought them already and because I really like them. And if I happen to change my mind in the future, I can imagine a million places to use them

Nosoccermom, my point exactly. One of the limitations of mood boards!

o

Does the table have to be narrow to fit the space? The shaker work table is only 33" wide which doesn't leave much space for serving dishes, etc. 36" or 40" would be better, if there is room.

o

It doesn't have to be narrow to fit the space, but I like the look of it. I have a fairly narrow table in my DR at home and I don't have an issue with it. I think most meals will be in the DR anyway, since that has the direct ocean view and the K does not.

o

Also, how big is the table apron? While I like the look a substantial apron, I don't like sitting at tables with them. The shaker website doesn't list that dimension. I hope you get to try out the table before committing to it.

o

One I worried about the same thing --- the thigh squeeze! I got all of the dimensions from the mfr, and we also tested it in person with chairs of the same height. Another plus for being able to see it on a showroom floor.

o

FTR, Mtn, I *do* like the table. It's got a Thos Moser-type of vibe, and I've long admired that company's designs. My earlier comments were attempting to interpret what others may be seeing in it, which I shouldn't be doing anyway!

I think it's wonderful that your husband wants to assemble it. If the table will primarily be stationary, be sure the casters are tightened and positioned as they are in the photo (laterally, with the length of the table) so that the table doesn't shift and budge when someone pushes their chair away to leave the table, etc. This point may have already been made and considered.

o

I am always sorry when I see these threads turn from providing input around the givens to criticizing the choices already made. I commend you, Mtn, for being so gracious throughout.

Again, I love the direction, the table, the chairs. I covet the stove and the built-in hutch.. dear Mtn, trust your instincts and go with what you love. Overthinking takes us in places that become more purposeful than eclectic.. and cheers to ineffable for reminding us of the lovingly collected & discarded decor of the country home/vacation homes of the era. I have such wonderful memories of an ex's family home on Bear Island on Lake Winnepausake. It was just that kind of home. The butler's pantry was.. to die for! The bf is long gone but my memories of the house are still dear.

What did you decide on for breakfast dishware? Did you go with the anthropologie dishes?

o

removing duplicate post. Must stop multitasking.

This post was edited by peony4 on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 17:42

o

Thanks, Peony, I am glad you like my poor unpopular table, LOL. It actually was suggested by someone on GW, Mermanmike? I don't know them and never see them ... it was just a table fairy who gave me the idea and then left!

Funky,
No worries! I don't mind the "criticism" in the slightest, truly. Most people I know don't care enough or think much about such things. GW'ers opinions are so carefully considered and detailed. It's invaluable.

I love the image you conjure of the lakehouse. While I will work feverishly to get everything "just so", in reality it will take years and layers to get the look I want.

As for dishware ... Goodness I have looked high and low. No one does interesting whimsical dishes but Anthropologie, and a few artisans. I think someone recommended dishes shaped like oyster shells,and I did love them. But I can't justify $85 per plate!

I bought a bunch of these really cute alphabet canape plates from Anthro. I chose ones in colors I like. I am mixing them with two other styles of plates. I haven't ordered all of them yet. I am playing chicken with the "will they go on sale" vs "will they sell out" scenario.

I don't ADORE the big plates, but I do like them and nothing else as much. Someone posted about a jumble in the cabinets, but the plates will be flat or in a platerack, not propped up against the wallpaper.

Here is the "set".

This is a large plate;
 photo Screenshot2013-11-16at100959PM.png

This plate is salad sized:
 photo Screenshot2013-11-16at101053PM.png

And these are smaller still
 photo Screenshot2014-01-12at33543PM.png

Of course, i may decide against the octopi plates and go w white Wedgwood Nantucket. Haven't decided for sure!

o

I honestly drooled when I saw your mood board. Love it all, and really love the table with your other choices. If, in your heart of hearts, you feel something is "off", pay attention to that. If not, I say go for it!! Remember, it's your house & only you & your family live there! Keep posting progress pics, please!

o

I suggested the Maine artisan shell plates, I never noticed the price.

o

Still catching up on all these threads. I am not in love with your table, but that said, it is because it wouldn't be MY choice. However, if think ineffable said it best. For you and your vacation home and your setting and desires, I think it will work beautifully. I did not notice the casters, so it does make it 'better', and the fact your DH will be a part of finishing it will make it special. Love the eclectic look you are putting together.

o

Love the anthro dishes (I typed "fishes" first.. I guess both work! LOL).

Of course it will take years to get just the right look and feel but your work now will provide a great foundation. My point is not to stop working towards your vision but rather to avoid too much stress over one single element. Your look will come together because you do have a vision. I've missed so many of your threads but I've loved the evolution.. and you've had so many delightful finds. The sink and glass you shared in the third-floor plan are awesome.. just love how you are inventing this house. It has a new life ahead!

o

Along the way to your vacation home's completion, i expect there will be many finds and some "drops," but the fact that your husband is participating in the construction of the table is going to be a big part of your kitchen and the heart of it, a piece for posterity. I expect it will become the conversation, if not its star.

Thank you for being gracious enough to share this journey with us and forgive us if we are a bit critical, at times, of those things which we will not pay for nor live with, but all meant in a good spirit of lending an eye.

o

By all means, go for it all, if you are inclined. Budget isn't my consideration either.. Impetuousness is my question.

o

I adore those octopus plates! What fun.

o

Maybe its just me, but I never liked skirts of any kind in the kitchen - whether on cabinets or sinks. I like the utilitarian esthetic and don't see stainless steel pipes as being all that unsightly (actually I believe they can be obtained in chrome which would be even nicer). And the open space makes for a lighter less heavy appearance- could use baskets or interesting or antique containers underneath for storage or recycling bin or whatever. What about getting/finding/improvising porcelain legs on the sink.

o

Kashka_kat, Ahh, but, by contrast, I have ALWAYS wanted a skirted sink, but somehow only think its okay in a vacation home. Apart from that aesthetic preference is the fact that I plan to have storage built underneath it, for cleaning products, etc.

Mlweaving, thanks!

Golddust, surely there is some middle ground between impatient (guilty) and impetuous (I've been bandying about these same ideas since September). At least if you think its impetuous it means you aren't thinking, "oh here she is again with that darned kitchen project!"

Patricia, all take in the spirit given! I think I am lucky to have found people who care enough about it to even have an opinion!

Thanks, Funky, Lizzie, and OutsidePlaying

eandhl, LOL, it was you!? I love them. I briefly considered them. But of course they would also look all wrong in a platerack. And some how eating off those plates when we have shellfish allergies seems I dunno, like bad Feng Shui or something!

o

did you consider cork flooring? It's available in some colors, and can be done in patterns. Just a thought..
an example from Houzz

o

I love Cork, but I wanted a sort of 30s/40s feel and always wanted to use Marmoleum. I have cork here in CT in our craft room. Thanks for the idea, though!

o

I saw this picture on Crate and Barrel and thought of this thread. Have you considered three shades of flooring? :)

o

I thought I had posted Sunday morning, but apparently needed much more coffee than I realized, so here it goes again.
I love the table with the wooden casters. It has a great shape and the casters are a playful and fun nod to oak clunky farmhouse tables with teensy casters.
The unfitted fixtures and that amazing stove and skirted sink say to me, this house has been in our family forever. The new furniture, and the fun wallpaper say it is time for fun, family and relaxation in this grand old beach house.
I think its a charming mix of vintage and playful. I love all of your choices. Good job.

o

Mtn, this is hard to say without offending especially when you have so many people here that are willing to encourage you with your current design ideas but this kitchen is a bit of a frantic mess. I know you want a more fun and eclectic feel that moves away from your calmer, more simple first house but this is just not feeling like a cohesive design. Maybe you should hire someone who specializes in the more layered design. The time layered, but a little bit funky or still young feeling look that you are going for is hard to get right without being way too try hard.

o

Mtn, have you seen F&B Cooking Apple Green? I love it! But it seems as though you are leaning more towards blue or grey? Another new F & B color that I think quite lovely is Stiffkey Blue.

I really love the direction that you are taking your vacation home. It is going to be fun and cozy!

o

Hi Holly, I do love both of those colors, but I am thinking of a grey similar to the Marmoleum. BM color capture says it is Cape May Cobblestone .. we will see!

Thanks, Cooper, that is exactly what I am trying to achieve.

AthomeinVA, No worries, I rarely take offense at anything anyone says, as I assume good intentions. I totally agree that eclectic, layered and quirky are sort of the Olympics of decor. Really hard to get right. However, I am adamant against hiring someone. I have been uniformly, and deeply disappointed with my experiences with decorators. Even looking through shelter magazines, I find most rooms pretty uninteresting and amateurish. So the odds that I would find someone who does work I really like are small. Moreover, the decorators i have worked with are totally tone deaf about value. Partly due to their business model, partly due to their level of appreciation for the best, they routinely suggest things that are many times more expensive then need be. It feels a little sickening to me.

If I were trying to create the One True Kitchen, I know exactly what I would need to do to get a 98% "ooh and ahh" rating from this board. But for projects like mine, with a stated quirkiness goal, I think by definition "quirk" will leave a lot of people shaking their heads, muttering "hot mess". That is a given, and it's okay with me.

Moreover, my DH keeps telling me not to worry about making a mistake, especially with decor. If I make an unconventional choice and it falls flat, I will change it. In the end I bet it will cost a lot less then a designer, plus we (my whole family) has fun doing it.

All that said, I'd love to hear what elements you think do or don't work if you want to share more of your opinions? Or any insight as to how to get this look?

Thanks!

o

Everything, except the table, is a wonderfully eclectic mix, IMHO. I like the table Suero mocked up with the rest of your collection.

o

Eclectic decor is never going to please everyone but that's what it's all about, it's very personal and only has to please the people who live in the house.

I've always been attracted to eclectic style but don't always like eclectic rooms by well known designers. I'm sure that's because they were designed primarily to appeal to the people who paid the designer and not designed for *my* personal satisfaction.

This is why eclectic style is really difficult for any of us to critique. I think it's OK to say that "in my opinion" a certain element doesn't work with the mix, but not to say the entire plan doesn't work.

I love the eclectic mix I have in my house but don't expect anyone else to like it. Probably the reason not too many of us who decorate in this style post pics on forums.

o

What does your fridge look like? Is it a Smeg? Because, so pretty.

o

I understand where you are coming from and I am glad that you do not just think I am some rude btch, at least hopefully! I hate typing long replies especially when I am not sure how to put my thoughts out there and even what my thoughts are exactly so please excuse the mess that is to follow.
I have looked at many different aspects of your idea individually and some aspects combined to try to understand what gets to me, and just to be clear I am not awe struck and always searching for another OTK, I tend to like quirky rather than trendy. Looking separately at the unique ideas within your kitchen I like them all but combined it is maybe too much. When I look at kitchens with skirted sinks the surrounding cabinetry is either more typical and plain or there are other areas that are skirted too. Having the skirt, then the cab with the look of tons of drawers, then the fancy range, and then the open console is distracting in some way. Maybe if the open console had a skirted bottom too it would work better? Or if it and the surrounding cabinets were more simple. Then, you have a beautiful wood cabinet with glass, a checkerboard floor, woven chairs, white doors with wood trim, it is a lot going on! Simplifying your idea by eliminating a few items may make for a much nicer space that can have some quirky elements added back in, like some interesting china displayed in the cabinet. I do not think that you have to make a completely typical kitchen, just maybe not so much happening at once.
In trying to think of an eclectic kitchen with a similar vibe John Loecke and Jason Oliver Nixon came to mind but their kitchen is actually very tame compared to the most of their designs. They did a very nice job of making a kitchen that is very unique and has a lot of interesting details but is unified.

Here is a link that might be useful: John Loecke and Jason Oliver Nixon kitchen

o

I'd center the stove in the middle of the wall with something (like a nice vent) to draw the eye upward. There are too many items the same height on that wall and the symmetry is off for my taste.

Maybe look for and old (red) Chambers Stove that's been redone.

o

Thanks, Lucky.

Nuts, Thanks.
FYI, the comment period on the table has now closed.
: )
I have decided that ,given the quality (solid cherry) history (Sunday Lake Shaker colony in Maine) personalization (DH will make it from a Kit) and seller (a wonderful potter in Cornwall who I'd like to give business to), any hesitations that I had are out-numbered.

Geokid,
I am unabashedly a form-over-function girl, but even I can't condone a Smeg for a 6br/5 ba summer home. Too darn small. We are getting the Northstar below, which brings up a side question. Would you bother to have the fridge custom painted (the mfr does this) to match the white of the stove? or is it unnecessary. I planned to do it but Wms Sonoma is not being helpful on the stove color info.

AtHomeinVA,
Strongly worded, yes. Rude? I don't think so.
I've seen that kitchen before, it's wonderful. I don't think mine is anywhere near as complex, not even close. Part of it may stem from the fact that the first part of my post is the moodboard. The second part is JUST the layout (just a layout, but one that happens to have been cut and pasted from photos, leading some to misread it as the plan for color, fabric, and what not).

So if you look just at my moodboard, which is the question at hand, I do wonder how you can get a "frantic mess" out of that? Really? especially considering that the wallpaper, which I show mainly for fun, deserves to be about 1/20th that scale, as it goes AT THE BACK OF one, glass, upper cabinet in the kitchen.

Lots of people don't like sink skirts (I always have) but two skirts would, to me, start to look silly. Plus I have bought great baskets for those lower shelves that I am having lined with muslin or somesuch.

My carpenter is making the two "cabinet pieces" in the layout. We have not designed them yet. They will probably both be the same color (grey family to match the floor). Probably not distressed, and maybe even a bit glossy.

For looks (see Mousehole) and function, I'm a big fan of the deisgn of the piece to the right of the stove; don't paln to change it much. The one to the left of the range, I'm less sure of. It is a d/w drawer and I don't want it to seem like one --- I grabbed the image and cropped it in because I thought all of the false drawer fronts and hardware would really keep people off the scent of "dishwasher". OTOH, it may be too busy next to the range (and the range is busier then what I wanted, a Chambers, but c'est la vie).
On top of all that is the hardware to consider.

My absolute biggest concern was that the chairs (pure white, very dark navy, and rattan) did not go with the floors (yellowy cream and blue-grey). No one seems to see it as a an issue. The table controversy seems to be centered on the casters (which you'll barely see I think) and, for a few, the color (which will match the existing cab anyway). The wallpaper isn't worth talking about really for this room; it's about as important to the space and the dish towel I hang on the range.

The walls will be off white. The b/s will be white subway (my cut and paste looks creamy, but it was the easiest way to get the visual).

If I knew photoshop (Santa brought it for Christmas), I could fix the colors of the layout and add it into the moodboard. That might help eradicate the distraction of the photos I chose, and would probably be more representative.

o

Sorry Mtn, didn't see your earlier post saying you're going with the table. (I decided all of a sudden this afternoon that I'm going to try to weigh in when input is asked rather being a lurker. Guess what I did as soon as I decided that, yes, post about your table, but without reading the last day's worth of posts.) It's all coming together in the most delightfully unpredictable way.

o

Hi Golddust,

I tried getting a Chambers (powder blue) and in the end, decided against. Long story having to do with deliverability and reliability. There are not many givens in my post, but if you see at the outset, the STOVE and CHAIRS and SINK are givens. Done.

Anyway, not being a fan of uppers, I actually like the symmetry of one horizontal line, and three equal 5' spans, window, tile, window. BUT, you will be pleased to know (and much to my chagrin!) that I need a range hood by code. At Pal's suggestion, I will put one in that spans the full length between the windows, and tile it as well. So that will give variation in height (alas).

I would not consider centering the stove by itself on both functional and aesthetic grounds. Functionally, I like to have trash, sink, d/w. Aesthetically, again, I like 5' window, 5' wall, 5' window.

o

There's 2 different aspects to this conversation - there's the specific individual items chosen and then there's the overall comprehensive design - how those elements fit together. I think the specific items themselves should not be critiqued, as they should indeed reflect personal taste and meaning. But the DESIGN - how those items are placed and how they relate to each other and to the architecture of the house (and, if they do or not) - that can be critiqued and is what I would want to get from a forum like this. And, what I'd hope to get from a designer bTW - I can select the items, just tell me what to look for and how to put it all together.

There are design elements - like scale, repetition, contrast, etc. - that are not matters of taste, but have to do with how we humans perceive spatial relationships and what looks pleasing to us, or what other message is conveyed. These have been applied since the dawn of human history! Fashions and fads come and go, but the principles of design remain the same. (Of course some art intentionally throws the rules out the window but that's a discussion for another time!)

Anyway - FWIW, Im not saying you need have an art school degree - my own method is more intutitive - also known as trial and error LOL. Its not until I start getting color up on the walls and a few items placed that I can start to visualize what I want.

I love unfitted kitchens and look forward to seeing yo ur progress.

o

Nuts, no worries, thank you for posting!

Kashka, I think you make a good point, but personally I am okay with people expressing opinions on just about anything (with the caveat that it's a bit of a waste of time if I already own it!).

In re basic design principles, yes, it is particularly helpful to the OP ... and the rest of GW'ers... when people can explain why, in terms of design principles, they think something won't work. Eg, when you mix patterns you should vary scale and keep in the same colors, or somesuch. I

have always gravitated to light colors on everything for example, and it was here that I learned that you need contrast and grounding. Simple, but I didn't realize it until someone made that specific point about something.

o

Mtn, thanks for the tip on the Northstar fridge. I'm planning on one of the LaCornue ranges for one of our residences, and I've been stumped on a fridge. I'd been heading in the direction of a built in fridge with cabinetry panels but would really prefer ((gasp)) a basic white fridge. Do you happen to have any photos of the Northstar used in a kitchen with LaCornue or Lacanche?

I also want to say (and should have said above) that I LOVE the table with casters, chairs, skirted sink, unfitted cabinets, wallpaper and plates you've selected. All of it. The only thing I was thrown off by is the yellow tone in the white marble Marmoleum, but I think if you added to your moodboard a photo of an actual kitchen floor with white marble Marmoleum rather than the sample chip from the manufacturer's website, you might find it gives a better representation of how it will look IRL. In other words, I don't believe, based on what I've seen online, the color is as yellow as what's shown in your mood board. Not sure ... but you might want to try it and see the difference.

o

I do not like mood boards. They sometimes seem to give a false sense of relationships without looking at the big picture, but that is jmo. I believe that every element needs to be looked at together but that the furniture should not be included at this point. My statement was not that the mood board is a frantic mess (it is cute but still off, the stove is out of place to me) but that the kitchen with all that it has going on is so very busy.
Please understand, I have the tendency to like things that are too much at first glance but with time realize that a parred back version is what I really want so I can sort of relate to the complex balance of fitting in so many neat things but it just not quite working.

o

The Northstar is great too! I'd paint it. A blue. To go with your floors and chair.

o

Your table, chair and floor:

o

Juju,
No, I don't recall seeing that ... but i bet you could with google. I did a tiger maple icebox fridge w my Lacanche here in CT, but didn't want to repeat that. Plus NoStar is pretty reasonable, less than a fourth the cost of what I spent for the icebox hardware, subzero and its tiger maple cabinetry.

As for the Marmoleum, I have samples in hand, and the chair. The "white marble" really is that yellow. I don't understand why they do not offer anything closer to white. Maybe because it has a tendency to get a little green?

AthomeinVA - Yes, my point exactly about moodboards. Big discussion here about the wallpaper for example, but Id bet 80% of the people who walked into the kitchen might not even see it.

The stove probably looks out of place in the layout because it is; the layout elements are distressed and countrified, for one. Think of the layout like it is below (the way my GC sent it) ... the only item I own in it is the stove and a white sink.

o

Hmmm...if the tile is that yellow, then definitely no on the blue fridge.

What about marmoleum click? There seem to be different colors than the marmoleum tile.

I'm afraid that if the stove and the fridge are close in color, but not exact, that it will look jumbled. Either they should be very different colors or the same. How does the fridge in quicksilver look with all the elements?

This post was edited by geokid on Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 18:07

o

Hi Geo!

I had another reason I didn't want a blue fridge; I think they are 50s or 60s, especially the shades easily available. It also bothers me that its not a food color. I am going more with "they never really redid the kitchen since it was built, but they put in linoleum in the 20s and got new appliances in the 40s" ... if you can call that a style!

I was afraid youd agree with me on the refrigerator color. Although I cannot imagine anyone back then worrying it if was all the "same white!"

Looked at the Click --- and got samples --- white marble is still the lightest.

o

You've probably tried a bunch of color color combos, but just for kicks, try the Dove Grey with actual samples of Silver Shadow and also White Birch.

o

Wow, people have a lot to say about your kitchen mtn! I think it's because it's so different from from what's typically posted here! I've been thinking about paint color and I think that if it were me, I would try to incorporate navy as one of the painted pieces, maybe the larger one, and paint the dw cabinet dark grey. I think with the chairs, it would be good to bring some navy somewhere else in the room. Maybe, also into the fabric for the skirt, I know someone else mentioned ticking. Or possibly printed grain sack. As for the fridge, white would be probably be safe, or have you thought about the buttercup or bisque? They might tie into the floor. I'll be checking back to see what you do!

o

Sweet-tea,

Yes, and any and all comments are welcome!

I don't feel like unearthing it, but back in October I had a thread with everyone voting for either Buttercup appliances or Blue, at that time using a b/w floor. People must be getting so fed up with this kitchen! I think I ended up abandoning that idea because i hated the NoStar stove design, tho I liked the color Buttercup.

So the stove became the driving issue, that took a few turns and a spreadsheet of research before I decided on this Albertine. I get tired just remembering all this!

I am not worried too much about fabric now, but I agree I would want to bring in some navy. Not a grain sack ... that's too much like my CT home, which is a farmhouse. I naturally gravitate to that look but I think it's wrong for the Maine house.

I too, was thinking about a shiny navy cabinet or table, but will a big dark thing in a sea of light, look like a black hole? IDK

o

Hi mtn'dux,i've put off posting on this thread since I just wasn't seeing what you were seeing, *your* vision, but know that's not important. Kashka_kat has said what I was trying to verbalize, until I start putting it all together IRL, i'm never sure. As luck would have it, I always buy what I love and in most cases, it has seemed to work. If that's the same as trial and error, then I guess that's the 'way I roll.'

Here's a link for a 'flea market kitchen', or maybe it could be considered an unfitted kitchen? And I love the idea of it! I have several French style dressers/armoires/etc., and hope to do what i've been calling 'free standing cabinets' in a kitchen, someday. I wasn't familar with the term 'unfitted kitchen' so thank you for the enlightenment.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen

o

I appreciate suero's rendering above--it provides perspective for the casters (which were questioned) with the chairs and flooring. From that pic, they all work well together, I think. (Maybe too well, but nevermind that!)

I researched Marmoleum out of curiosity because I have a future project to which it may apply. I, too, am surprised that "white marble" is what it is... there's no white even in the primary color description, which was ivory and cream.

On its own, it's very pretty with the accompanying tile you have chosen. In fact, I think its creamy component lends an aged feel.

I wondered how it would look with white appliances atop it, and found this image linked from a google image search. Ignoring the tiny black squares, I think I'd vote for a white refrigerator vs a color. In your layout, it won't be near enough to the range to highlight any differences in the undertones of the white.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marble white with white appliances

o

I think a big dark navy might ground the sea of white. I like a dark element in a room so light it might fly away. One piece can do just that but not an even distribution in weight, just one heavy piece.

o

Hi Patty, Thanks for the link! Often unfitted kitchens look the one you show. Problem is, to me, that is too country for the house. That's the tricky part i think.

Patricia, I will have to mock it up to try to see. I agree with the point, tho.

Peony, thx so much for finding that photo. Unfortunately I don't like the way it looks at all. Oh noooooooooooo. I'm going back to bed. : (

o

Skirted sinks are so pretty, and easy to change out anytime you want a little change...less mess than painting or reflooring, less elbow grease than moving furniture. But, you know the movie "A Christmas Story"? I like the doors added under the sink where Randy hides with his glass of milk (poured from a glass milk bottle). They come all the way to the floor.

o

If the White Marble is too yellow (or maybe not yellow enough), can you find out what other tiles they may come up with?

"New tile collection....More colors, sizes, and design options are coming soon, so check back for more when the rest of the tile collections launches Spring 2014!"

Maybe greys:

o

NSoccerMom,
Thanks, but i have to order very soon; like yesterday. The limited selection is very annoying!

o

Another image http://www.longleaflumber.com/bamboo-cork-marmoleum/marmoleum/

Scroll down to 4th pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Long leaf lumber

o

I have not had a chance to read the whole thread but my first reaction is it all works together and will give a very retro feel. The table is simple and I love simplicity like that. At first, I thought the wallpaper would be too busy with the floor but then realized you were only using it a tiny bit so I think it works.

o

kitchentime,

bless your heart! that is much better

whewwwww

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here