Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

Dining Room update-wine bar

So I have been dying to add storage and a buffet and bar to my dining room since we built the house over 16 years ago. The room gets used as we like to entertain but I would love to make it more cozy and usable. I want to add a long built in unit on the longest wall which is closest to the kitchen. I would love a wine fridge and a way to store our other wines, liquors and barware. I also need a way to store china as I currently keep most of it in the attic and have to go up and down the stairs to get to it. I have about 9 feet total on that wall I can use so feel like this is a good sized space. I could also do 2 matching cupboards or something on the opposite wall but they would have to be narrow, like 15 inches deep because of the window on the top wall. The windows are off center just like the plan shows(makes sense on the outside).
So here is a floor plan of this section of the house-

Here is how it looks from the foyer currently. I want to put this wine bar buffet where the quilt is hanging.

Here is a wine bar I found that I love, even the color!

And this one!

I'm thinking something between the two.
Opinions?

Annette

This post was edited by bocron on Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 0:11

Comments (12)

• arcy_gw
    10 years ago

I think you would love it!! Will you get a piece that will look like furniture or will it match the woodwork and look more like a built in? Are you thinking it will reach the ceiling? That would look more built in like in the bottom picture.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Arcy,
    Those are my decisions I'm currently stuck on. I would love to have it in an exciting color like the pumpkin or black or grey. My issue is that it is a north facing room so it is fairly dark to start with. But I'm not sure that it matters in a dining room. The ceiling in there is 9 feet so going to the ceiling would give me a ton of room. I'm currently looking at building it with ikea cabinetry.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I love it too.
    Before you go with ikea cabinetry, just for grins check with a local cabinet guy. You are likely to get closer to the traditional look with traditional cabinetry, likely to get better quality, and the price may surprise you. I've found locally here that the cabinet maker building custom built-ins using some boxes he orders and some doors he orders, and some he actually makes to bring the whole thing together, is way less $ than I expected.

I especially like the way the velvet upholstery matches the color of the cabinet in the first photo.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Would you use IKEA's kitchen cabinets or Besta or any of their other shelving systems?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I think it's a great idea, I think it would be a real asset in your home. I would definitely check with a cabinet guy..or a few of them..to see how much custom would cost...well worth the money and the quality you would get. I would have it look built in and I would not add any other cabinetry to the room. I think one of the big decisions for you will be the trade off between storage and counter space...it looks like you want substantial counter for serving, but that limits upper storage. Then consider open vs closed storage...the dark one above has lots of glassware storage, but not so much for china.

Also, I would add some puck lights over the bar area so you can see to serve.

• teacats
    10 years ago

You should check out the Billy shelving at Ikea -- only 11 inches deep!

You could combine a couple of their shelving systems to create a system of shelving and lower cupboards that could go around your windows AND on your shorter wall next to the kitchen ....

And a vote for simple white shelving -- then add color with accessories ....

I've added a link to a Pin board of inspiration photos for a combination dining room-library -- that could give you some more ideas!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- Dining room Library combinations

• kswl2
    10 years ago

I think it's a great idea that suits your lifestyle and preference--- and both pictures / wine bars are great! Agree that the velvet upholstery matching the wood tone in the first photo is very appealing.

That said, I agree you will probably get a better fit for you particular wants and needs if you do built ins with a cabinetmaker/ carpenter. And I would def do built ins on either side of the cased opening to the foyer in the same style and finish as your bar. You don't need more than 13" or so depth for china storage--- in fact, it have found that too-deep shelves are less useful than shallower ones. Sounds like you really need storage do for dishes and serving pieces, and even though the bars shown have room for wine glasses, you undoubted have other glassware as well. The beauty of nice built ins is that they can be used for different storage for the next owner, or by your own family at a different stage if life, and they add value to your home.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

How exciting for you! It sounds like a built-in will serve many purposes and afford you a lot of new storage. I definitely like the first option much better because of a number of reasons:
    (1) unless you buy and store a huge amount of wine, the second area pictured will end up looking very sad with many empty wine spots. Think about how much wine you would realistically be storing there on a daily basis, minus the wines you'll be storing in a wine fridge. and plan accordingly.
    (2) The first built-in will give you a better mix of storage options. I have a somewhat similar set-up and use the shallow drawers for storing my napkins, napkin rings, placemats, and silver flatware. Very handy! In my dining room I also have deeper drawers where I store tablecloths, runners , candles and various candle holders, etc., as we eat there six nights a week, plus weekend breakfasts and I like to set nice tables every time.
    (3) The continuous counter area across the first will definitely come in handy when entertaining.
    (4) I'm not a big fan of TVs in the dining room, but the space there would be great for a nice piece of art or perhaps some open shelving if you're not putting in a TV.

A couple of other things to think about:
    * The door frames on the first are quite wide, which limits displaying crystal barware or china inside very effectively. You may like that or want to go with glass doors that allow your pieces to be more visible. If the second option is preferred, lights inside the cabs, glass shelves so that the entire cabinet is lighted and even mirrored backs inside the cabs will greatly help that.
    * Install electrical outlets, at least in that middle area, if not also at both ends, to plug in a lamp, blender for drinks, warming trays, etc. They really come in handy when entertaining!
    * Think about what exactly you want to store and display before deciding on drawer sizes and cabs. It looks like the middle bottom cab in that first pic has a solid door, which is great for storing items you need in there, but don't necessarily want on display.
    * I opted to have bottom cabs with solid doors and slide-out shelves in mine. I love that I don't have to get down on my hands and knees to access things down there. If you go that route, just make sure there is a nice size lip around the edge to keep your things from falling off the back. I use mine to store another 2 sets of dishes and many of my serving pieces. Gosh, is that handy!
    * Last, my advice is to go with a wood tone that will stand the test of time . . . and be resale friendly. Get your color from what you display there and any art, linens, upholstery, etc. you use. These can be changed much easier than cabinet colors.
    Keep us posted on your progress.
    Lynn

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the great responses. I have spend all my free time today online trying to find good design software.

teacats, that pinterest link was great, and addictive!

Annie, puck lights would be a great addition. I totally forgot to add that to the must haves, thanks!

kswl, you hit the nail on the head. I think I'm going to put a glass front cabinet on either side of the opening to the foyer. 15 inches deep, 36 wide and maybe 40 inches tall. I think I can keep my nicer stuff stacked in there and get it out of the attic. As long as it's in the room I don't care which side it's on. Do you think a drawer at the top of those units would look ok? I'd like to put the nice silver there maybe?

lynninnewmexico-I'm thinking you and I think alike. Everything you posted is something I thought of or needed to LOL. The wine thing won't be a problem though, I have recently begun collecting and cataloging so will love having room to expand.
    I love the idea of a lamp on the buffet. I always love when I see a cozy lamp in a different place, so thanks for that. Also, I thought of an outlet for a keurig coffee maker but will make space to store my blender here as well. Totally forgot about the blender! Oh, and no TV for sure. The flat screen is in the family room over the fireplace so close enough!
    I'm hoping to layout a design in the next few days that I can post here and y'all can critique.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Bocron,
    I just came across the article on Houzz on how to create a built-in wine bar, just in case you haven't seen it. Their suggestions are pricey, but still may give you some inspiration.

Here is a link that might be useful: [How to create built-in wine bar on Houzz[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-to-create-a-built-in-home-bar-stsetivw-vs~21107489)

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nosoccermom (lol love the name) , that is a timely find. Great pics but you're right, the prices are a bit much. Although looking at the one bar from here in Atlanta, she charged $4000 for design fees and labor and $3000 for a total of 1 base cabinet and 2 (or 4, depending on how they were made) uppers. Please, what a rip!

On a side note, I've decided to shorten my bar from 8 1/2-9feet to 7 1/2 feet. It will fit better in the space and I can get a stock piece of countertop at 8ft, over that it becomes pricey for sure.

Annette