Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Cute mcm tile piece

rockybird
9 years ago

I just got this for the bird room where my three bratty parrots live. I am trying to decorate their room with bird artwork. It is missing a couple tiles, but doesnt appear noticeable and I would expect no less for something probably overy 50-60 yrs old. I know I probably overpaid, but I dont care. I like that it is unique, has birds, and makes me smile. What do you guys think?
the artwork:
{{gwi:2139745}}

Other artwork I have so far (just need to hang it!):
{{gwi:2139746}}

{{gwi:2139747}}

{{gwi:2139748}}
the three brats (can you guess which is the biggest brat? Hint: he has an orange head):

This post was edited by rockybird on Sun, Jan 25, 15 at 21:43

Comments (16)

• sharo
    9 years ago

So cute!

• Fori
    9 years ago

Obviously you are going to need another bird to make that piece work!

Perfect. :)

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I think the stylized birds should be separate from the illustrated birds.
    I think your idea is delightful.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I love all of it. The birds are awesome. I miss my Dandy Bird.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you guys! I guess I am not going to hang any of it quite yet. I met with the architect today and confirmed the birds will be moved to the other side of the house and their current room will become the office.

@emmarene Thanks! That is a great suggestion.
    @sharo Thank you. I'm keeping my eye out for cute, especially mcm type, bird art work.

@fori I do have four as of friday! The little guy below flew into my window. It is a baby lovebird parrot. There are flocks of them in my town. I thought he would die. I brought him in and he is recovered now. I am hoping his family comes back to the bird feeder soon so I can let him go to join them.

Thank you ravencajun. They keep me very busy, especially the caique. If you ever want another one, there are lots in the rescues. I have one who was neglected that I found on cl. She is just the sweetest most appreciative thing (the nanday conure above).
    {{gwi:2139761}}

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I forgot to ask their ages.?

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Emmarene: Teenagers for the most part! They are still young by parrot standards.

Rocky, the small maroon belly conure, 14 yrs old
    Zeek, the caique (orange head), 13 yrs old
    Scout, nanday conure (black head), 3-4 yrs old (dont know for sure as she is from craigslist).

I've had them a long time and I am still amazed at their intelligence!

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Love the photos of your birdies! The brat kills me. I love the picture of him/her in the "dead parrot" position.

Also loving that tile piece!

Who did Todd Oldham do that book of...Charley Harper. You may enjoy some of the Charley Harper prints!

Here is a link that might be useful: Charley Harper loved birds

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Jan 26, 15 at 7:22

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Wonderful ideas and marvelous post! I love the one playing possum. They have a sense of humor. Did you read about the one who was stolen and gave the police his own address? Or the one who revealed to the husband that his wife was cheating on him by imitating the wife calling the lover's name and making moaning sounds?

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! Robotropolis and kitchendetective - he loves laying on his back. Every night, he lays on his back in my hands while I snuggle and rock him. Caiques are very playful and rambunctious birds. They are not like most parrots. They are also very stubborn and determined.

Charley Harper's stuff would work perfectly. I just have to find the right pieces. I have wanted a signe first edition of his book, but I keep missing them on ebay.

LOL kitchendetective - I am not surprised! They are so darned intelligent.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

very vintage piece - love it! and those parrots -- oh my, what a handful. Don't let them chew on the hoses!

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes Violet West they are a handful. I heard happy singing and whistlng coming from the laundry room...I found him hanging off the back of the washer, dancing and singing, upside down. The laundry room is now off limits, although he is mad at me because he loves the washing machine.

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I'm crazy for these MCM glass smalti mosaics. Isn't the texture wonderful? I only have one mosaic (not as lovely as yours) and it has a few broken tiles too. As you said, I don't think that is unusual for pieces of this age, and I don't mind a bit. Yours is such a pleasing piece.

I think your idea to feature MCM bird art in their room is wonderful; there are so many fabulous birds in the designs from that era, and it's so fitting because of your happy crew!

I enjoy the fun pictures of your beautiful birds, and it's great you were able to save the baby lovebird parrot. We rescued a female cockatiel a few years ago, when she appeared in our yard at the start of winter. We caught her and contacted a bird rescue group, who eventually placed her with a family. We learned to be respectful; she had probably been loose for a while, and did not appreciate being handled. And boy, could she yell!

I also love the bird tiles by Lisa Larson, like the one below. (I'm sure we can come up with lots of ways to help you spend money on fabulous MCM bird art.)

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mudhouse - I LOVE that Lisa Larsen tile! It would be perfect for their room. I cant seem to find it for sale, but I will keep my eye out for it. Actually, it is so pretty, if I can find it, I might display it in the living room.

I'm glad you saved the little cockatiel. The lovebird is wild also - there are flocks of them around my town. A small flock was coming to the bird feeder, but I havent seen them since he flew into the window. I feel awful keeping him in a cage, but I have been told that he is a baby and needs to be with his family to survive. I have been keeping watch hoping they come back to feed so I can set him free.

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

rockybird, I grabbed that photo from this eBay listing:

Lisa Larson Two Bird Tile

These seem very pricey for the size (9" square) but they are lovely. (I will have to be content with haunting the aisles of Goodwill, in a stubborn state of Eternal Hope.)

• rockybird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! Looking at other listings, I guess that seems to be the going price for the tile. I am going to keep my eye out and see if I can find it a little cheaper.

LOL@Eternal Hope.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz