Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Request advice on a shade style to go with this lamp.

I fell in love with this marble lamp in a consignment resale shop. I don't know how old it is, but the big barrel style shade says 1960's to me.

The trouble is it's SO tall. From top to bottom, with shade, it's 37 inches. The shade alone is 15 1/2 inches tall. The marble base alone is 20 inches. I think it was meant to be a lamp for a low end table. But I don�t have any low end tables. My options are a bedroom dresser - for which the scale maybe be wrong - or a buffet, which already has a pair of nice lamps.

I have tried it in several rooms. The huge shade blocks most of whatever is behind it, which is artwork or a mirror in each location. I think the shade also dominates the graceful lines and carving of the marble too much.

Ignore the room these were shot in: that is not where it would go. Thanks for your help.

So I tried it with several other shades from other lamps. Please let me know of any of these styles / shapes would work (ignore color). These are all shot using the original harp fixture, which is also really tall ( 14"). Each of these shades is 12" tall. In looking over shades in a store yesterday, I didn't even see any shades taller than those. I don't know what these styles of shades are called.

So I'll call #1, green flared. I don't like seeing the socket part of the lamp. But I figure a shorter harp would take care of that.

#2, rectangular octagon.

#3, octagonal flared. This shape I know at least I can find easily.

The last shot shows the same last shade, with a borrowed, shorter 10" harp. Does using a shorter harp bring these more into scale? How does one decide what size harp to use? Is there a rule of thumb?

Comments (5)