Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dutty_gw

Design Help - Ikea Super Hack (cross-post)

dutty
10 years ago

Greetings everyone!

I'm really hoping I can get a little design input here (I cross-posted to home decorating). My kitchen was originally supposed to be yellow:

I think the yellow gives off a really "organic" vibe. Well, DH decided at the last minute that he just can't have a yellow kitchen. He feels like yellow is too hard to get right and it'll look like his mom's old kitchen! So, I went back to white BUT I don't want an all-white kitchen and I wanted my island different. He chose blue and fell in love with SW Meditative. I like the blue we've picked (it is elsewhere in the house) but now I'm a bit concerned that without the earthy yellow, the gray blue looks too cold with the stainless and nickel and now the attached family room space and the kitchen no longer coordinate.

Another issue is, I've shopped with a yellow kitchen in mind and now I've got what I've got and I'm worried it's too disparate. Then again, I sorta dig it at the same time. I've compiled a mood board:

I own all the light fixtures and furniture, except for the Windsor counter stool. We have reclaimed barn wood going on the fireplace and the media console is also reclaimed. So, I'm wondering how to cross-polinate this to make it work.

- Am I just so used to yellow that I'm freaking about blue but actually it'll work?

- Bring the blue into the family room with some pillows and foot-stools?

- Bring the rustic-ness of the family into the kitchen with black cabinet hardware?

- Bring the reclaimed wood vibe to the counter with the windsor stools?

- Change the island color? Leave it white?

- fight for the yellow kitchen?

The following things have yet to be purchased:
Rugs
Backsplash
cocktail table
island stools
sofa table/desk
lamps
kitchen table chairs

Thoughts?

The fireplace can have soapstone instead of brick but the adjacent hall is brick:

Basic "undecorated" Mock Ups:

Comments (13)

• judyr908
    10 years ago

what program did you use to set the room up with?

• amykath
    10 years ago

I honestly think it will look great! White is timeless and I think you will be happy with it. Yellow is a tough color to work with.

You have many warm elements in your home. The brick on the floor is wonderful! Your warm toned floors, furniture and fireplace are sumptuous!

I would bring in the blue with a bit of a similar color in your rug and in some patterned pillows. Artwork is another great place to bring in the blue.

Your house is going to be amazing. I would not second guess your choices (or your husbands) for white cabs.

Looking forward to more photos!!!

• Jules
    10 years ago

I love it -- all of it.

Go with the Windsor counter stool!

What's the source for the chandy over dining table and also the coffee table?

• dutty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yay! You guys have made me feel better. I think I was so caught up in what my vision had been for the yellow that I just couldn't "see" the blue. I'm breathing a bit easier although I've got a few more questions I'm stewing on that hopefully you'll all oblige me with some more advice/encouragement!

Judy I use Google Sketchup to do the 3-D renderings. It's an AWESOME program and it helped me take IKEA cabinets and hack them to an amazing end result.

Aktillery - Thank you so much. I'm just feeling so much better hearing that it will be OK. I'm stressing over everything at this point and I just want this all to come together well. I will pull the blue into the family room with two fabric ottomans, some throw pillows, and maybe a painting over the fireplace. I've already got some nice ones picked out at Ballard - any other great resources for art?

• dutty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jujubean - I love that stool, too! My issue is I fell in love and THEN saw the price. LOL. $500 a stool! That seems crazy steep to me. It'd be 2K just to outfit the island. Sigh. I'm looking for replacements... or alternatively, where I can sell my plasma to offset the cost! ;)

The chandy over the kitchen table is Hinkley. The table is actually the kitchen table... it fits in that nook area on the 3-D picture. I have an older table in the 3-D space but ended up purchasing this one. It is from Four Hands.

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

I love what you have picked so far and think the blue will look lovely. You can pull in more warm colors through your accents in both rooms. Very pretty!

For on-line art, try Serena & Lily and Wisteria. I have seen things I liked there.

Would you mind sharing the source for your media console? I have been looking and looking and looking..!

• powermuffin
    10 years ago

What about a sandy yellow on the walls? Something like Valspars Churchill Hotel Ivory? I have a blue-gray island, cream cabinets, and this Ivory on the walls. It looks wonderful.
    Diane
    {{!gwi}}

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I love your layouts/mockups/idea boards. I think the blue, white, and soapstone with the warmth of the wood floors is perfect. While I like the yellow mockup, I agree that yellow can be a tricky color (though really lovely when done right) and I actually like the soapstone against the blue even better.

• Jules
    10 years ago

Darn, I don't see that chandelier on the Hinkley website; do you know whether it's a discontinued item?

I guess the furniture piece I was curious about is probably a media console. I really like it. This one:

• dutty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marina - That media console is Four Hands. They do a lot of reclaimed and unusual stuff. And thanks for the sites for art... I'll have to start browsing now because I have a feeling it's gonna take a lot of searching to get DH and I to agree on anything right now! ;)

powermuffin - I think that's utterly lovely and I love creamy walls but DH is officially dead set against any hint of yellow. Sigh. But, all is good because I'm really finally starting to embrace the blue. Maybe I'll add some pops of orange. Maybe he'll like that...

jujubean - It's not discontinued... it's still there but now I'm sad because they have all sorts of NEW STUFF just in the last few weeks. Ah well, that's why I should never look again once decisions are made! Here is the link to the Hinkley (Wingate Collection) fixture. Hinkley Link

And, the media console is Four Hands.

Speaking of Hinkley - LOL... we picked up the rest of our lighting today. I just had to snap a photo. There are only 8 fixtures still on back-order of over 100 (we did very few can lights). Here is a 10 x 10 storage unit!

• Jules
    10 years ago

That's an impressive pile of lights! Thanks for the info.

• dutty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jujubee - NP on the info. :)

And no, not impressive... dumb. DH sorta wants to kill me. I took a stand against can lighting without REALLY considering that I'd have to buy a bunch of fixtures! I'm sure it'll all be worth it but still... ugh.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Dutty, You should see if you have any consignment shops or auctions in your area. We have an auction every week with items including art, from all over the world. They are originals and you can get them for a good price. Perhaps you have something like that near you. I would investigate.

Good luck!!!

Now I need to go and find that Google program and learn how to use it!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living