Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willow626_gw

Need help with 2 Storey Curtains

willow626
9 years ago

So everywhere I find two storey curtains they are super expensive. Looking for a creative and non expensive way to cover this big wall of windows.

Comments (26)

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Do you sew?

• willow626
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No but I could have someone sew something. I have just heard that to do curtains this tall most people wouldn't have the room to do anything in a residential sewing setting. Not sure if this is true?

• User
    9 years ago

It would be tough. But for simple shirr on probably could be done. Not by me!! Someone with a nice clean basement floor could do it. Or access to a community hall or church basement.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Do you need to cover all of the windows? Or could you put curtains up that cover just the lower windows for privacy?

• willow626
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No but I could have someone sew something. I have just heard that to do curtains this tall most people wouldn't have the room to do anything in a residential sewing setting. Not sure if this is true?

• amykath
    9 years ago

Do you need solid privacy curtain sir would sheers work? How tall are your ceilings?

• amykath
    9 years ago

These sheer swag drapes are 216 long. You could just use round ring clips and hang them straight down. Not sure if that's long enough for your windows though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jcpenny

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Interesting way to do the windows.

How tall is the entire window wall?

I would put privacy curtains on the lower three and leave the uppers bare.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Are you going to have to be able to open and close these treatments? This will involve a heavy duty traverse rod with a pulley system and you may actually want something mechanized.

I would probably invest in an individual, inside mount, roller shade of some sort for each of the bottom 2 or 3 windows and leave the rest uncovered.

• willow626
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The wall is about 21 ft high. We have to get a scaffold in at the last stage of building anyway for a chandelier so hanging them then would be easy. I have thought about doing something on the lower windows but Im worried that would look odd?
    I don't need heavy blackout ones but some that offer a little bit of privacy would be nice

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

These type of architectural windows are not meant to have any window treatment. They are sculptural to the space.

The windows face a garage and already appear to be at least one story up so there's a certain amount of privacy to begin with.

• grapefruit1_ar
    9 years ago

How tall is each window individually? Could you use tension rods on the inside of the frame and insert valances or sheers? Could you just use a decorative window film?

I cannot picture how you could use super-tall treatments at these windows! As someone said, would you open and close them? How would you clean them? I would simply do the lower windows only.

• grapefruit1_ar
    9 years ago

How tall is each window individually? Could you use tension rods on the inside of the frame and insert valances or sheers? Could you just use a decorative window film?

I cannot picture how you could use super-tall treatments at these windows! As someone said, would you open and close them? How would you clean them? I would simply do the lower windows only.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Here is what I meant by doing an individual shade, inside mount on each window, if you need something. It preserves the architecture like Beverly mentions:

• Gooster
    9 years ago

We have 15 ft panels on a mechanized rod (on a 16 foot wide window). The extra weight of a 21 foot panel might require a more durable solution than the one we choose. It gets pricey pretty quickly and some mechanized solutions can be as expensive as the panels themselves. We started off with a manual cord but it eventually became a point of failure. I'd recommend checking with the villageworkroom.com or customdropaer.com if you don't have a local workroom and still want panels.

However, I think the expert advice regarding blinds in each section would be much better and is perfectly suited to your set up. Blinds will likely need to be split into at least two sections, depending on your total width. Just be aware that the cords can be tough to manage and mechanized solutions can get pricey (power vs. battery packs also becomes an consideration).

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Is this in a stairwell? Depending on what room this is you could just put furniture in front of it.

If I had those windows I would just leave them as they are.

• amykath
    9 years ago

What does the rest of the room look like?

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

A lot of people I know with two story great rooms just cover the bottom windows (up to nine feet or so).

If you had the cash, I think decent two story white curtains on a motorized track would be cool and could look very modern, especially if they were unlined (e.g. Heavy sheers) and could stack back completely off the windows. but I have to imagine that's a $2k investment minimum, $1k for the track and $1k for the curtains.

If I were just covering the bottom. I think I'd go minimalistic, small white traverse track and heavy sheers stacked completely to the side.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Ps cool windows! I like your room.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

These stacked windows are an architectural feature and were probably an expensive feature.

I would not skimp on any necessary window treatments if the windows need to be treated. If it cost $5000 to treat them, and it could, I would do without new furniture or something to get it done right. You don't want to diminish an expensive detail by covering it up with something cheap.

• C Marlin
    9 years ago

Have you thought of putting a decorative window film on them, this would let in light but give you privacy.
    I have used film and also decorative glass fixed with an adhesive surrounding a big tub with windows to the street.
    You would still see the window feature, I think a long drape would diminish the individual windows.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I was thinking of ripple folds as far as curtains went.

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

try motorized cell shades, a few companies will carry them, not terribly expensive.

• kidrowlam
    9 years ago

I always have a liking towards roman blinds. Whether its ethnic characteristic or its simplicity whatever reason may be behind it but that will be good for this big window as well. You can open it according to your wish and whenever privacy is required.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I've seen the 'ceiling to floor' panels used in a 2 story home, and feel, they come off as too much, and do not find them attractive, only distracting. They were stationary, but again, too much. I feel they belong in a castle or very grand estate, but that's my 2 cents.